'14 GA QB Deshaun Watson (Clemson Commit)

Clemson was originally not going to take a quarterback in this recruiting class, but due to Morgan Roberts transferring, the Tigers needed depth at the crucial position.

The Tigers have 4-star recruit Asiantii Woulard coming in this weekend for an official visit.

DeShaun Watson remains on board with Clemson, but will continue to talk with other programs.
So what does rising senior QB commit Deshaun Watson think of that?

"I talked to (quarterbacks) coach (Chad) Morris a week ago about that," Watson told Tigerillustrated.com Thursday night. "When Clemson first offered me they said they weren't going to go after another quarterback (in 2013). But they called me and gave me a heads up and explained the situation."

And that was?

"They don't want to get into a situation like Maryland did where they have to play a linebacker at quarterback," Watson said. "They need another QB to keep the program up. I didn't mind it when they told me that. That means a lot to me that they told me about it before they did it. Coach Morris said I'm still the future of their program and the future is bright with me there."

Morris, the recruiter of record here, has orchestrated some of the nation's most high-powered offenses over the last two years at Clemson. His no huddle, no mercy attack was among the nation's best this season ranking eighth in total offense and sixth overall in points per game.

With that success, he found himself very much in the running for head coaching jobs at North Carolina State and Texas Tech. In the end, Clemson was able to hold on to Morris, the nation's highest paid offensive coordinator.

But it's a marriage that may not last forever.

And given that more head coaching opportunities could come Morris' way following the 2013 season, the future at Clemson - with or without the current OC - has already been discussed between Morris and Watson, one of America's blue-chip quarterbacks.

The Gainesville (GA) standout is slated to enroll at Clemson in January of 2014.

"We talked about that last night, too," Watson said. "He said if a big-time program comes calling that's better than Clemson, he can't pass that up. If he goes there, I'll go with him. But he said it has to be one where they can contend for a national championship. But I'm enrolling early and he said if I already have my papers in, he'll stay until I graduate. He said he's a guy that stays true to his word like he did with Tajh (Boyd). I trust coach Morris."

The dual-threat QB provided more on the conversation.

"Basically, coach Morris said it would have to be a better job than the one he has at Clemson," Watson said. "No offense to a Kentucky or a Vanderbilt, but he'd likely stay at Clemson I'd think. But if there was a better job than the one he has as an offensive coordinator at Clemson, then he'd probably take it. He told me jobs like Oregon, Florida or Miami. Jobs like that are ones he'd take."

All the while, the four-star recruit is still getting pursued by other schools, which presents a whole other scenario in his recruiting.

-Rivals

This is what Clemson told him of why they were looking at other QBs

They will all be in Columbus in February, along with Chubb. This train of recruits is going to be a fun one to watch.

Clemson was originally not going to take a quarterback in this recruiting class, but due to Morgan Roberts transferring, the Tigers needed depth at the crucial position.

The Tigers have 4-star recruit Asiantii Woulard coming in this weekend for an official visit.

DeShaun Watson remains on board with Clemson, but will continue to talk with other programs.
So what does rising senior QB commit Deshaun Watson think of that?

"I talked to (quarterbacks) coach (Chad) Morris a week ago about that," Watson told Tigerillustrated.com Thursday night. "When Clemson first offered me they said they weren't going to go after another quarterback (in 2013). But they called me and gave me a heads up and explained the situation."

And that was?

"They don't want to get into a situation like Maryland did where they have to play a linebacker at quarterback," Watson said. "They need another QB to keep the program up. I didn't mind it when they told me that. That means a lot to me that they told me about it before they did it. Coach Morris said I'm still the future of their program and the future is bright with me there."

Morris, the recruiter of record here, has orchestrated some of the nation's most high-powered offenses over the last two years at Clemson. His no huddle, no mercy attack was among the nation's best this season ranking eighth in total offense and sixth overall in points per game.

With that success, he found himself very much in the running for head coaching jobs at North Carolina State and Texas Tech. In the end, Clemson was able to hold on to Morris, the nation's highest paid offensive coordinator.

But it's a marriage that may not last forever.

And given that more head coaching opportunities could come Morris' way following the 2013 season, the future at Clemson - with or without the current OC - has already been discussed between Morris and Watson, one of America's blue-chip quarterbacks.

The Gainesville (GA) standout is slated to enroll at Clemson in January of 2014.

"We talked about that last night, too," Watson said. "He said if a big-time program comes calling that's better than Clemson, he can't pass that up. If he goes there, I'll go with him. But he said it has to be one where they can contend for a national championship. But I'm enrolling early and he said if I already have my papers in, he'll stay until I graduate. He said he's a guy that stays true to his word like he did with Tajh (Boyd). I trust coach Morris."

The dual-threat QB provided more on the conversation.

"Basically, coach Morris said it would have to be a better job than the one he has at Clemson," Watson said. "No offense to a Kentucky or a Vanderbilt, but he'd likely stay at Clemson I'd think. But if there was a better job than the one he has as an offensive coordinator at Clemson, then he'd probably take it. He told me jobs like Oregon, Florida or Miami. Jobs like that are ones he'd take."

All the while, the four-star recruit is still getting pursued by other schools, which presents a whole other scenario in his recruiting.

-Rivals

This is what Clemson told him of why they were looking at other QBs
Wow. Can't imagine that coming back to bite one of those guys (Morris/QB) in the butt. That will be a hard promise to keep.

I really don't see how Miami is a better job than Clemson. Miami is terrible and likely won't be good again in the near future. Especially not since the looming NCAA penalties are likely to hit soon.

I really don't see how Miami is a better job than Clemson. Miami is terrible and likely won't be good again in the near future. Especially not since the looming NCAA penalties are likely to hit soon.

They would have been in the acc title game a season ago had they not self imposed. And were a very young team.

Agree.
Odds should improve w/ Watson if Woulard signs w/ Clemson.

Watson will not be worried about Woulard (or any other QB for that matter) and has already been told by Clemsons OC that Woulard is merely added depth and the job is Watsons if he wants it.

Watson will not be worried about Woulard (or any other QB for that matter) and has already been told by Clemsons OC that Woulard is merely added depth and the job is Watsons if he wants it.

That makes a lot more sense now. My buddy is a huge Clemson fan and was saying how they offer Woulard and I could not imagine why. He was all excited and I told him there has to be a reason he didn't have any big offers. Clemson must be thinking just an offer from them is enough to secure him for depth, with Chad Kelly taking over for Boyd after next season and then Watson ready to go after that. Kind of makes you feel for Woulard if that's truly how it happens.

Worried? Probably not. But I highly doubt Chad Morris told Watson it's his job if he wants it. Probably more like you can come and compete for the job from day 1.
Watson currently is a Clemson commit but we all know that a lot can and will happen between now and Wed Feb 5, 2014.

Worried? Probably not. But I highly doubt Chad Morris told Watson it's his job if he wants it. Probably more like you can come and compete for the job from day 1.
Watson currently is a Clemson commit but we all know that a lot can and will happen between now and Wed Feb 5, 2014.

i dont have the time to go look up the quote but it was almost word for word "The Woulard offer was so we dont wind up like NC State if injuries occure next year, but the job is still yours in 2014". Clemson told Watson they would not recruit a QB in 13 and went as far as to call Watson before offering Woulard.

Sorry, but Miami is a better coaching job than Clemson. Miami is a top 10 program of all-time, Clemson is not. Simple as that.

Sorry, but Miami is a better coaching job than Clemson. Miami is a top 10 program of all-time, Clemson is not. Simple as that.

No way. Miami has horrible facilities and in a terrible area. Clemson is the better job and its not even close.

VN Store

Back