Playing field leveled?

Oregon has been winning under Kelly for a couple of reasons.
-He recruited speed over anything else.
-He was a great play caller
-His teams always knew they could score and played their hearts out for him
-His up tempo offense created rythym very quickly for his players and all wore defenses down because they tried to limit the rest between each play to a minimum

Leaving gives us a much greater chance of hanging around because he is taking his up tempo offense and chip on his shoulder with him. Whoever takes over will have an undersized team that won't be able to match up with the larger SEC players. They will still have plenty of speed so they will be able to score just not in 46 seconds 7 times a game. JMO but I like our chances alot better.

Thanks for that link. Key assistants leaving can certainly drag Oregon down to the status of mere mortals depending on how well the transition is managed.

If coaching were simply a matter of schematics and a winning system or process then presumably every team would switch to what they saw as the winning formula and be done with it. Coaches that implemented such winning strategies would win games if their player talent level and depth chart outmatched their opponents' but it doesn't happen that way and the game remains unpredictable.

I think Oregon will begin the season as a talent rich team whose potential performance, much like ours, will be very difficult to predict since the coach and assistants have no past record to judge with either team. It would foolish for us to assume events automatically favor but it's also foolish to assume that coaching is just a matter of schematics and coaching changes are just a matter of plug-in and play when someone who knows the system is promoted.

SI explored a bit of Kelly's intangibles in this article. The following snippet says quite a lot:

James Harris whose role seems undefinable in many ways while being enormously important despite official titles is also leaving. However, one small detail from this older article is very revealing:

It looks to me like Oregon is losing more than than the intellect and winning attitude of Kelly but also the heart and problem solver of the team, for lack of better words. Harris is the ideal XO/executive officer but it's clear that he is actually more of a co-equal or active second head coach than just a 2nd in command.

How all of this plays out in reality, or whether or not we've truly been given a gift in their game against us is just not very predictable.

Jones has many of those aggressive qualities as Kelly. Let’s hope it gets instilled in the team quickly.

Reactions: 1 person
Allot of people are saying the Ducks have superior talent to us. But going back and looking at recruiting classes the Ducks and UT are quite close. I won't be surprised if the Vols can hold their own during this match. We shall see.

Jones has many of those aggressive qualities as Kelly. Let’s hope it gets instilled in the team quickly.

Agreed. Bruce Pearl and Pat Summit had that power to WILL their teams to victory (Summit more than Pearl obviously) - you could just see it working in many games.

Energy is contagious and certain people are very good at projecting emotions whether they're up or down or in between. I've encountered more than one person whose mood was able to lift or bring down an entire room and I'm sure many here have as well.

Jones strikes me as having that fireball + blue collar work ethic that can get people moving.

Oregon has been winning under Kelly for a couple of reasons.
-He recruited speed over anything else.
-He was a great play caller
-His teams always knew they could score and played their hearts out for him
-His up tempo offense created rythym very quickly for his players and all wore defenses down because they tried to limit the rest between each play to a minimum

Leaving gives us a much greater chance of hanging around because he is taking his up tempo offense and chip on his shoulder with him. Whoever takes over will have an undersized team that won't be able to match up with the larger SEC players. They will still have plenty of speed so they will be able to score just not in 46 seconds 7 times a game. JMO but I like our chances alot better.

Again, the new head coach will more than likely be the guy who has been running the offense with Kelly for the past four years. I highly doubt they drop off significantly.

Writing off our defense already?

Dont know what to expect out of this year's squad but I can almost guarantee that our defense will improve.

It has to.

It'll be better, but that doesn't mean it'll be good.

I know it’s a little different, but...

Head coach:

Jimmy_Johnson-1_370x278.jpg

Offensive coordinator:

121231140309-norv-turner-single-image-cut.jpg

Sometimes it doesn’t work out. Just because they run the same thing doesn’t mean it will work just as well. And the Brian Kelly to Butch Jones transitions at CMU and Cincinnati are the exception, not the rule.

Considering UO now has a little tradition of promoting from within and has had success, I don't expect this transition to be any different.

Either way Tennessee will have to do some magic to win this game, as much as I hate to say it. There is always the chance to win, always, and I feel better with Jones at the helm, but I also don't expect us to waltz in to one of the the loudest stadiums in the country with a team that has been competing in BCS bowls the last handful of years and punch them in the face significantly enough to win.

I know that Coach Jones likes an uptempo offense as well. Personally, I believe that our best chance against them would be to implement a game plan along the lines of what Stanford used, i.e. power running game. Milk the clock, shorten the game and reduce Oregon's number of possessions. As young as we will be at quarterback and wide receivers, quick strike capability will not be our forte that early in the season. By contrast, Oregon's defense really isn't anything to brag about either; they gave up over 380 yds. per game total defense. So, they will not impersonate Alabama in that respect. Any way you look at it, Oregon will be a formidable opponent, particularly on the road.

That is exactly what haas to be done to win. Punch them in the face then pound on the gut with the pedal all the way down for 4 quarters. Go Capone on that a$$ :machgun::gun: till they give up. :mf_surrender:

Coach Jones is gonna coach the Vols up and they will shock the football universe by beating the Ducks.

The Vols will beat Oregon with the offensive line. If the O-line can establish the run, not only will they wear down their defense, but they will keep the Ducks' offense on the sideline where it belongs.

Go Vols!

Since they hired from within, we can all expect to see the exact same Oregon we've seen before. That means: no, the field is not leveled at all.

But, that's not say a defeat is certain. Let's just cheer our Vols on to put on a great game and give everything they have!

]Since they hired from within, we can all expect to see the exact same Oregon we've seen before[/B]. That means: no, the field is not leveled at all.

But, that's not say a defeat is certain. Let's just cheer our Vols on to put on a great game and give everything they have!

You may be right...but remember arkansas hired from within last year too.

Lets hope Chip takes most of his staff and the Ducks are left with an inept coach and we squeeze out a victory...here's hoping.

VN Store

Back