2013 TN PG Darius Thompson

We got in on this one WAY too late...this may be a blessing in disguise though.

I would much rather had Owootoah over Thompson, he fits what we need much more...but it looked like the staff may have like Thompson more. Let's hope this pushed us to put the full court press on Emmanuel, he's gonna be a good one IMO.

Can you give a no BS assessment BTO on our chances with Emmanuel? I trust your judgement most in these situations.

Last edited:
Can you give a no BS assessment BTO on our chances with Emmanuel? I trust your judgement most in these situations.

Too early to tell. We're definitely in it, but so are a lot of schools. Martin will likely be in to see him soon since Thompson is off the board, we should know more about our chances then.

We got in on this one WAY too late...this may be a blessing in disguise though.

I would much rather had Owootoah over Thompson, he fits what we need much more...but it looked like the staff may have like Thompson more. Let's hope this pushed us to put the full court press on Emmanuel, he's gonna be a good one IMO.

Owootoah may be a hard get for the Vols. Looks like UCLA might be the front runner and he is waiting on other offers particularly UCONN. Agree he would be a better addition.

UCLA, Others Courting Canadian Point Guard Owootoah | ZagsBlog.com

Now I feel like I have to watch Vandy a little bit. Hoping Thompson has a double double every game and Vandy still loses.

#BlackmanPride.

A poster on VQ said he spoke with Thompson's father and said that Darius might be reconsidering UT. Guess we'll see.

Here's the exact quote:

Just talked to Darius Thompson's Dad again and looks like he is reconsidering Tennessee and has 2 visits left and expect Tennessee to get one soon. Cuonzo called Lonnie this morning explaining the playing time Darius would get.

Hmm. The way some have been talking it seems like Cuonzo screwed this one up by waiting too long to start recruiting him.

Hmm. The way some have been talking it seems like Cuonzo screwed this one up by waiting too long to start recruiting him.

The way I get it is that he just really blew up over the summer so not many knew about him but Vandy had been on him.

Nothing new here...Played ball tonight with a Blackman JV player and I asked him about Darius. Sounds like he is going to Vandy.

In Martin's defense, we didn't know that Golden was going to regress like this.

Something needs to happen with a PG. we're slow playing E-Man, we're stringing along elder, and missed on this guy. Need to make a hard push for someone before its spring and we have to go after another Washpun.

Something needs to happen with a PG. we're slow playing E-Man, we're stringing along elder, and missed on this guy. Need to make a hard push for someone before its spring and we have to go after another Washpun.

I wonder how much of it has to do with how tall the kids are? Looks to me like Cuonzo really doesn't like to offer kids under 6-4. Thompson is 6-4 and gets an offer within two weeks of being identified. Owootoah, Elder and Jorgenson are all as good or better PG prospects, but really are being scrutinized. I know Martin really prizes length, but in order to get the kind of ball handling skills this team needs, you are way more likely to find them in a 5-10 to 6-2 kid.

Makes you wonder just what was so exciting about Landry that he got an offer starting his junior year?!

I wonder how much of it has to do with how tall the kids are? Looks to me like Cuonzo really doesn't like to offer kids under 6-4. Thompson is 6-4 and gets an offer within two weeks of being identified. Owootoah, Elder and Jorgenson are all as good or better PG prospects, but really are being scrutinized. I know Martin really prizes length, but in order to get the kind of ball handling skills this team needs, you are way more likely to find them in a 5-10 to 6-2 kid.

Makes you wonder just what was so exciting about Landry that he got an offer starting his junior year?!

I'd love for someone to go in depth with him on the PG position...what he looks for, his ideal PG, how he feels we sit currently etc.

I think you're probably right about the height thing, and that worries me. What's thompsons biggest weakness right now, ball handling, so how is he gonna help our situation. We don't need anymore wing guys, that position is now loaded and with Moore appearing to be moving over there seems we're set for awhile there.

This team lacks in one major area next year, quickness and ball handling. Why you don't push hard for a <6'1" speedster like elder or Owootoah is beyond me. I'll be very dissapointed if we end up with another 6'4 combo guard trying to convert them to PG.

If there's one thing I'm disappointed in with his staff, it's the impact of Tracy Webster. When Martin hired Webster, I thought, "Good, we finally have a guy who can evaluate, recruit and coach point guards."

Guy was a high school AA and All Big 10 PG. Knows and played the position at a high level. We've never had a guy like that on staff. Should be yielding results, right?

So far, not much. Maybe it's him. Maybe Coach Martin is driving the train on PGs and Webster doesn't have much input?

I'd love for someone to go in depth with him on the PG position...what he looks for, his ideal PG, how he feels we sit currently etc.

I think you're probably right about the height thing, and that worries me. What's thompsons biggest weakness right now, ball handling, so how is he gonna help our situation. We don't need anymore wing guys, that position is now loaded and with Moore appearing to be moving over there seems we're set for awhile there.

This team lacks in one major area next year, quickness and ball handling. Why you don't push hard for a <6'1" speedster like elder or Owootoah is beyond me. I'll be very dissapointed if we end up with another 6'4 combo guard trying to convert them to PG.

If there's one thing I'm disappointed in with his staff, it's the impact of Tracy Webster. When Martin hired Webster, I thought, "Good, we finally have a guy who can evaluate, recruit and coach point guards."

Guy was a high school AA and All Big 10 PG. Knows and played the position at a high level. We've never had a guy like that on staff. Should be yielding results, right?

So far, not much. Maybe it's him. Maybe Coach Martin is driving the train on PGs and Webster doesn't have much input?

I'm with you. Heading into the offseason last year I talked a lot about what golden can improve on. Said he has the benefit of having Tracy Webster at his side to help him, but he obviously hasn't improved. As for recruiting, I've heard good things about him as in guys like him, but I'm not sure who is responsible for PG. I know he evaluated Owootoah a couple weeks ago, dude had a great game in front if Webster but no offer came? Was Webster not impressed or does Martin refuse to take a guy like that?

Darius is a point guard. Has played the point all his life. He is at his best when he is at the point. He is what we need.

VN Store

Back