Rock painting

Exactly. It's a form of communication, and the NCAA prohibits boosters from contacting recruits IN ANY WAY, which includes signs and public messages. Boosters, which all of us are under the NCAA's definition, cannot call, visit, email, tweet or Facebook recruits. It's against the contact rules.

The NCAA isn't controlling anyone's first amendment rights. What they can do is hold your school responsible for what you do with those rights, the same way they can enforce rules on contact with coaches.

If you don't want to believe me, that's fine, but check out the @UTCompliance Twitter feed. Seems many of you have no clue on NCAA rules and how a school can be punished for fans' actions.

Who cares???? What r they going to do........NOT SH@T. I'll paint the rock if I want, it is a tradition.

Reactions: 3 people
Who cares???? What r they going to do........NOT SH@T. I'll paint the rock if I want, it is a tradition.

Well, again, under the revised NCAA enforcement guidelines, if a school repeatedly commits the same violation, even minor ones, eventually the punishment grows.

Glad to hear you have no respect for the rules and the requests of your school.

Reactions: 4 people
Well, again, under the revised NCAA enforcement guidelines, if a school repeatedly commits the same violation, even minor ones, eventually the punishment grows.

Glad to hear you have no respect for the rules and the requests of your school.

Ok fade route jr.

Ok fade route jr.

No need to be a jerk about it. It's pretty cut and dried. The university can't endorse something like this and they have to abide by NCAA guidelines. Paint to your heart's content. Just don't act outraged when somebody does what they have to do.

Reactions: 1 person

Yes, painting the rock is a tradition for students.
Will the NCAA come after UT for it? Of course it's unlikely but it is probably better to be a little more discreet and not take the chance

No need to be a jerk about it. It's pretty cut and dried. The university can't endorse something like this and they have to abide by NCAA guidelines. Paint to your heart's content. Just don't act outraged when somebody does what they have to do.

Agreed...yet the tradition of painting The Rock

is MUCH < some of what goes on in Tuscaloosa

ttown-alabama4-530x290.jpg

blog_bama_signing.jpg

just my opinion though...

Great job to the rock painters!!! Thank you so very very much for that service to VolNation!

59 likes on your post of the painting. I think a lot of people enjoyed your hard work.

Ok, where are the photos of Jake's wife?

Last edited:
idk if posted, but I just passed the rock and it said "save the date" and some names and a date. You could see VFL though.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Maybe next week it should just be a little more generic.

Maybe
"Recruiting for team #117"
"Looking forward to the new incoming class"
"Lookout class of 2013 is a monstrous class"

a lot less likely

knoxville is a Green community
shawn Kemp is awesome
yo holmes to Bell-air
Alexander the great fought wars!

Thats what needs to be done....get some of you guys down there and guard it from those idiot girls! Bring some beer, to keep you warm. Hell, offer the firefighters some beer and they'll stay down there and spray those idiots!!

Use the girls to keep yourself warm. Just share your beer.

About what?

Being he's a lawyer, I'm guessing SDV is talking about legalities. The NCAA cannot punish upon assumption, they have to have proof. I believe the point he disagreed was that the Rock was painted by boosters. The NCAA would have to prove that point. Fans in general are not considered boosters, otherwise the NCAA would have a lot of policing to do. There are lots of grey areas the NCAA would have to dive into, and personally, I don't think they want to. They already have enough on their plate.

Reactions: 3 people
The Rock looked awesome, the pics not so much. Would have helped recruiting more if hot wife had been pictured with the Rock instead of Jake and Ertel. In fact, for future purposes, if pictures are all we're gonna be left with, surround the Rock with beautiful women before taking the pics. Much, much more impressive.

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly. It's a form of communication, and the NCAA prohibits boosters from contacting recruits IN ANY WAY, which includes signs and public messages. Boosters, which all of us are under the NCAA's definition, cannot call, visit, email, tweet or Facebook recruits. It's against the contact rules.

The NCAA isn't controlling anyone's first amendment rights. What they can do is hold your school responsible for what you do with those rights, the same way they can enforce rules on contact with coaches.

If you don't want to believe me, that's fine, but check out the @UTCompliance Twitter feed. Seems many of you have no clue on NCAA rules and how a school can be punished for fans' actions.
I hear what you are saying but to me this is just another example of how ludicrous the NCAA has become! In this day of social media how stupid can this "rule" be! How about pictures from visits? How about volquest? How about ESPN? Etc, etc, etc. Someone painting a rock, please NCAA get real!

Being he's a lawyer, I'm guessing SDV is talking about legalities. The NCAA cannot punish upon assumption, they have to have proof. I believe the point he disagreed was that the Rock was painted by boosters. The NCAA would have to prove that point. Fans in general are not considered boosters, otherwise the NCAA would have a lot of policing to do. There are lots of grey areas the NCAA would have to dive into, and personally, I don't think they want to. They already have enough on their plate.

Summed up well sir

What if it is a "booster" and a "fan?" How stupid can this be? If the NCAA "investigates" something of this nature they should be reprimanded for wasting money! Perhaps the NCAA should get the "death penalty!" Better question ... Who is investigating the NCAA?

The Sports Animal has the compliance guy on by the name of Dooley (no relation). He said that any fan that has paid for a ticket is considered a booster. They spoke on the topic of the rock, and he did state that it could not be painted and that he had to monitor what it said. But yes, a fan is a booster if they have paid for a ticket. Now, how can the NCAA prove that the fan paid for a ticket would be nearly impossible unless they caught who painted the rock and then searched his purchase history.

Look up what the ncaa considers a booster. Most fans would qualify

Reactions: 1 person
If the university was that concerned about an NCAA violation because of some fans painting it, then they would just tear down the rock or ban painting it all together

The Sports Animal has the compliance guy on by the name of Dooley (no relation). He said that any fan that has paid for a ticket is considered a booster. They spoke on the topic of the rock, and he did state that it could not be painted and that he had to monitor what it said. But yes, a fan is a booster if they have paid for a ticket. Now, how can the NCAA prove that the fan paid for a ticket would be nearly impossible unless they caught who painted the rock and then searched his purchase history.

The NCAA has no supeona power. Would be hard unless they had testimony from an eyewiness.

Safe!! I attended Florida and bama this year but recieved both tickets for free. I have never purchased a ticket to a ut sporting event at all. So were good!

The AA is going through serious rules revisions now. Stuff like this will go away as a concern if they go the direction it appears.

VN Store

Back