The Golf Thread

My local guy just put up a smooth 64. That means in his first 5 rounds as a member of the tour, he's got a win and a stroke average of 64.0. :superman:

That also means I'm rolling with him in fantasy until he cools off or I run out of starts

Rory and Tiger both miss the cut in Abu Dhabi.

Tiger should shoulder most of the blame because he should've made sure he was following the rules, but LaCava should be ripped. A caddie has to step up and make sure his player isn't screwing up the rules. That's just awful. No way can you let your player pick up a ball anywhere from tee to green without knowing for absolute certainty he's entitled to a free drop.

Tiger should shoulder most of the blame because he should've made sure he was following the rules, but LaCava should be ripped. A caddie has to step up and make sure his player isn't screwing up the rules. That's just awful. No way can you let your player pick up a ball anywhere from tee to green without knowing for absolute certainty he's entitled to a free drop.

On a rule like that, I have a hard time criticizing anybody. I've played a ton of competitive golf and I've never heard of there being a distinction on an embedded ball outside of a hazard. Woods, Kaymer and McIlroy all thought it was a free drop situation.

I have a hard time with the broad rules they come up with at times instead of clearly marking a hazard. 5 foot grass doesn't seem like a sandy area to most folks just like a bare patch of dirt on the side of a hill doesn't seem like a bunker.

the rule states that it has to be a closely mown area to constitute an embedded ball. I actually knew that, but I spent two summers serving as an on the spot rules official in some major junior tournaments. Maybe I just have a different look on it as I've never been remotely close to good enough to be a player in big events.

What would have happened if tiger would have called a rules official over and the official gave him relief and after the fact determined it should be a 2 stroke penalty.

What would have happened if tiger would have called a rules official over and the official gave him relief and after the fact determined it should be a 2 stroke penalty.

a rules official's (referee's) decision is final. If no referee is used, the Committee's decision is final.

Just sharing an idea. We are having a quarterly game this year to do something besides random bets. @ 8 of us play consistently. We are going to play as teams, switching up teams along the way, and playing match play each round vs one player at least. Top 3 winning %'s at end of quarter get steak dinner from others. And the worst golfer each round pays $10 to the clubhouse pot for the best of the group to purchase new shoes at the end of each quarter.

Been pretty fun so far. One guy sends out updates, people start talking trash, and the next matches are set.

How does your handicap decrease this time of year? I haven't picked up a club in 4 months

Still been playing at least once a week. Really, I don't feel like I have missed a fairway in a long time. Haven't lost a ball in a long time. I can also putt from off the green well and it helps. Others are skulling and chunking chip shots and its hard to tell what will release or check up with the lies.
It is supposed to go up this time of year but go figure that my golf game peaks in january. Would be perfect. Then I'll hit summer as a mental midget with 10 swing thoughts in my head.

Has he had a plus 70 round yet?

Yeah . . . 3rd round at the Humana he blew up and shot 71. :crazy:

Still a small sample size and they're out west where the scores are always low . . . but thru 10 rounds his stroke average is 66.5. I can't imagine a better start to a season for a rookie. He's well off the pace this week, but a decent last couple of rounds and he can easily finish top 20.

Phil's on fire in Phoenix..
With Tiger winning last week, and Phil playing like this, I'm really hoping that it leads to some Sunday afternoon shoot outs in the Majors

Yeah . . . 3rd round at the Humana he blew up and shot 71. :crazy:

Still a small sample size and they're out west where the scores are always low . . . but thru 10 rounds his stroke average is 66.5. I can't imagine a better start to a season for a rookie. He's well off the pace this week, but a decent last couple of rounds and he can easily finish top 20.

His final round will dictate how much longer I roll with him in my lineup.

His final round will dictate how much longer I roll with him in my lineup.

Shot an ordinary 71 today. I'd say time to go away from him. But .... Next week is Pebble Beach where he was low amateur at the US Open, so maybe familiarity will help him out.

VN Store

Back