How long does C. Martin have to show improvement?

You are the same kind of person who would rather the program go down other than the coach.

No, I follow the university. I don't worship at the altar of a coach and consider him a deity like you do Pearl.

He's gone and isn't coming back. Time to dry your tears and get over it.

Not wanting to use any excuse but that was bc our idiot AD came on national tv the night before the game and told.everyone he was going to fire pearl. I was so pissed, if u want to fire him fine but don't sabotage the season to do it.

I don't hold.player arrests against the coaches, stupid kids do stupid things some times.

Wow. I like the "not wanting to use any excuses", followed by a bunch of excuses.

What is it you all harp on, Martin is the coach, NO EXCUSES (Maymon injury, recruiting etc) if the team struggles he's to fault.

Yet now it turns to pearl and we've got a laundry list of excuses...

Last edited:
We might not have gotten beat by 30, but we weren't winning that game.

And I hold player arrests against the coaches that recruited those players. They're the ones who recruited them so they know what they're getting more than likely.

It's about winning.....you take some chances on some guys and hope u can keep them straight.....its happened to almost every program in the country at one time or another.

Wow. I like the "not wanting to use any excuses", followed by a bunch of excuses.

What is it you all harp on, Martin is the coach, NO EXCUSES (Maymon injury, recruiting etc) if the team struggles he's to fault.

Wow do you ride around on Martins back in one of those baby carriers........he was fired the night before a game, hard to be fired up to play the game.....what excuse.

Don't want people to complain about martin.....tell him to make the tournament.....he has been unsuccessful so far in his entire career.

Wow do you ride around on Martins back in one of those baby carriers........he was fired the night before a game, hard to be fired up to play the game.....what excuse.

Don't want people to complain about martin.....tell him to make the tournament.....he has been unsuccessful so far in his entire career.

Just trying to understand the cant use excuses here, but use excuses there stance.

Pearl wouldn't have been fired if he didn't F up, that's his fault...no excuses right? I just think there should be some sort of common ground, if you're not gonna allow any excuses for one how can you bust out a list of excuses for the other?

**and on a side note, you'd think pearl would've had his guys fired up. How many coaches get fired before a game and players go out and play for their coach, happens every year? So, sorry, but the whole he got fired the day before shouldn't be an excuse.**

Last edited:
Cal I'm not giving you a hard time because you see both sides of the aisle most times. I give a hard time because of the absolutes the (great eight) as I like to call them because all this has been caused by Pearl.
And I understand your frustration.
I was one of those who thought Martin was going to be a miracle worker.
This has been a hard season for me to accept.
Not all on Martin, but a major part is.

Do you not know how things work in the real world? How old are you? Only a clueless AD fires a coach after his 2nd year unless he completely tanks or gets into some sort of trouble with the law. Short of Martin and Hart getting into it over money or his contract, Martin will be back.

And a clueless ad would fire a football coach before his first recruiting class goes through. O wait..... And we have all seen AD fire a coach that he didn't hire after a year. College sports is just as profitable as pro sports but yet we see new GM's fire coaches after only a year and GM's that fire coaches that they didn't hire. To act like it can't happen is ignorance. Guess all the sunshine pumpers on this site are all in the basketball forum and can't look at things realistically

The excuses can be used only if it fits their argument.

And a clueless ad would fire a football coach before his first recruiting class goes through. O wait..... And we have all seen AD fire a coach that he didn't hire after a year. College sports is just as profitable as pro sports but yet we see new GM's fire coaches after only a year and GM's that fire coaches that they didn't hire. To act like it can't happen is ignorance. Guess all the sunshine pumpers on this site are all in the basketball forum and can't look at things realistically

No one is saying it can't happen. It happened to Ellis Johnson at Southern Miss who only lasted a year because he lost every game. Dooley didn't have a winning season in any of his first three years. I'd say Martin's first year was much more successful than any Dooley year. Again, you're trying to compare two completely different situations. Dooley never inspired confidence in anyone that things were going to turn around. He got the roster numbers built back up, but he didn't get the results. Martin got his team to a 2nd place finish in his first year when the experts said he would be fighting to keep his team out of the cellar. I'd say that the AD was just a little impressed by that even if the Debbie Downers weren't.

And if you're trying to compare the college game with the pro game then you just need to stop. It's apples and oranges.

Martin will be given at least a third year unless he gets completely sideways with Hart with contract negotiations, loses every game from here on out, or gets charged with a felony. He'll be given at least 3 years. If he does well after next year, he'll be given a contract extension. That's the way it works.

I assume you're referring to Dooley in your first sentence. Dooley got THREE years, all of them below.500. And that was in football, at UT, where football is considered to be the most important and popular sport. So let's stick with your comparison of dooley's fate after year three and Cuonzo's firing after year two (in a sport that doesn't garner as much attention as football, and thus making it more likely that the basketball coach wouldn't be scrutinized to the same degree as the football coach). Add to that the fact that Cuonzo finished his first year with a winning record, and a second place finish in conference. Even if he finished below .500 this year and ended up in the bottom third of the league (sounds familiar, except we saw it for three years in the other sport), your comparison to Dooley would imply that Cuonzo would be given a third year.

Look man, Cuonzo is going to be here next year, and that's not pumping sunshine. That's being logical. You said ,"to act like that can't happen is ignorant." Of course, anything can happen, but those chances are extremely low. Hart ain't firing Cuonzo after two years.

What part of "Dooley was in Year 3" do you not understand?

See that's part of the problem, you and Orange balls say their and you all like we are all one person.....we all have different thoughts and ideas..... My worries with Martin is style of play and recruiting. I do not want him fired yet and I hope he succeeds. I do understand others frustrations with the direction of the program.

Bringing up thirty point losses after being fired or exhibition games is ignorant....want to discuss pearls recruiting then yes he could have done a much better job with player evaluations.

Yes. Because "setting low goals" and "setting goals lower than winning a National Championship" are completely synonymous. Fair point.

I was being a little bit of a smart a** but I hate when people use that argument that we are not Kentucky or duke......screw that, let's strive to be like Kentucky or duke.

Reactions: 1 person
He'll have to get us to the NCAA Tourney next season. He could still do it this season but it is gonna take some kind of finish to do so.

Reactions: 1 person
Did anyone else see where Duke lost their first game, playing without injured Ryan Kelly? He's not even their best player but kind of sounds familiar.

Hmmm....

Miami running duke out of the gym right now, up 32-15 with 4 minutes left in the half.

Maybe losing one of your starters does effect your play, sure is effecting a K coached team.

42-19 at the half...nah losing a starter doesn't effect your team, K has had plenty of time to prepare for this one NO EXCUSES.

42-19 at the half...nah losing a starter doesn't effect your team, K has had plenty of time to prepare for this one NO EXCUSES.

Hmmm. I just watched the ESPN segment and analysis of the game which included Jay Williams. Not a single mention of a hurt Duke player. Analysis had no mention of mention of missing players, only the fact that Duke was dominated.

So what's your point again?

Hmmm. I just watched the ESPN segment and analysis of the game which included Jay Williams. Not a single mention of a hurt Duke player. Analysis had no mention of mention of missing players, only the fact that Duke was dominated.

Seriously? So because the ESPN analysts (who have no more credibility than you or I) didn't mention Ryan Kelly's injury/absence, it means it had no effect on the game? Are you really going to sit here and try to argue that Miami is 27 points better than Duke regardless of Ryan Kelly's health?

It's really not hard to understand. With Ryan Kelly, Duke beat Minnesota, Louisville, and Ohio State. Then Ryan Kelly got hurt. Duke has lost 2 games since, and looks like a completely different team.

Then you must not have watched the actual game or halftime...Ryan Kelly was shown MULTIPLE times on the sideline and his injury discussed.

Jay Williams and Greenberg during half also were discussing what a different team they are without Kelly.

So...losing a starter who's a major contributor effects your team, that was my point. Oh yea, final score 90-63, way to have them prepared K.

Seriously? So because the ESPN analysts (who have no more credibility than you or I) didn't mention Ryan Kelly's injury/absence, it means it had no effect on the game? Are you really going to sit here and try to argue that Miami is 27 points better than Duke regardless of Ryan Kelly's health?

It's really not hard to understand. With Ryan Kelly, Duke beat Minnesota, Louisville, and Ohio State. Then Ryan Kelly got hurt. Duke has lost 2 games since, and looks like a completely different team.

Ryan Kelly or not, Duke loses the game last night.

VN Store

Back