What oil(and filter) do you use?

Thanks. I had heard that it doesn't filter that well (hence better airflow) and that you can really mess your sensor up if you don't oil it well.

I'm just wondering if it is worth the extra effort/risk with a silly hyundai.

I think K&N makes dry and wet oil filters. About the only thing you'll notice from it is a slightly more aggressive sound from your engine. Performance gains will be negligible.

I got one for you...what about Air Filters? I have a small economy car and was wondering if the K&N drop in filters are worth the money?

The thing with the K&N air filters is they are reuseable. So for the rest of the life of the car you won't have to replace it. All you would have to clean it every so often. Plus K&N air filter will help boost air flow. Could help fuel mileage improve.

I'm pretty sure it's been proven that air filter performance does not affect fuel mileage. I don't have the data on hand to show this, though, so TIFWIW.

Thanks ;)

So no qualms about the talk of the K&N not filtering as well as paper filters? I guess Air flow has to be created some how.

Mobil 1 synthetic (extended) and Mobil 1 filter....a true PAO synthetic oil unlike most of the rest that claim to be synthetic......Amsoil is also a true PAO synthetic not an hydrocracked dyno oil

im cheap.. Valvoline and Purolator.

Same filter different paint job. I used to be an Engineer at the plant that makes them. About 100 different brands and they were all Purolator filters. The only filter we made that was worth the money is the Toyota filter. The filter element is designed to put significantly more filter surface area on the oil and it has an anti- drain back valve to keep oil in your block to avoid hard starts and extend engine life. :hi:

Thanks. I had heard that it doesn't filter that well (hence better airflow) and that you can really mess your sensor up if you don't oil it well.

I'm just wondering if it is worth the extra effort/risk with a silly hyundai.

Filter are fine.

As far as oiling its actually the opposite. Too much oil or not allowing to dry after oiling will mess up the maf sensor. The oil on the sensor causes a bad reading and the computer will cause the engine to run terrible if at all Remove sensor. Clean with brake clean. Reinstall. Do not touch the filament or used compressed air to dry it after cleaning. Allow to dry normally.

I meant if you didn't oil it correctly. I went ahead an ordered the K&N and got the cleaning/oil kit (aerosol oil) as well since only $8.50. Hopefully it is fool proof when I clean it and oil it...

I meant if you didn't oil it correctly. I went ahead an ordered the K&N and got the cleaning/oil kit (aerosol oil) as well since only $8.50. Hopefully it is fool proof when I clean it and oil it...

You got this. It's not hard. Just make sure and follow the instructions and you will be fine.

So, I'm changing my oil today and yesterday I bought the oil at Walmart and and went to Advance Auto to get the Mobil 1 filter. I ask the guy and it turns out they were out of the Mobil 1 that I needed for my car. He then proceeds to tell me besides the gasket the Mobil 1 filters are the exact same thing as the K&N, they are even made in the same factory. He then walks me over to this shelf display where they've cut open all these filters and put them side by side, they were the same. Who knows, they could have played a trick on me and put the same filter in front of both labels. So I'm looking and then I see this Bosch filter which very clearly has more pleats in it than either the Mobil 1 and the K&N. Not only that but it too uses the synthetic fibers same as the Mobil 1. I ended up getting the Bosch Distance Plus which actually was the most expensive of the 3 at $14.99.

Mobil 1 and K&N are made in the same factory. They weren't lying

And more pleats doesn't necessarily mean it's better. (though Bosch filters are good as well)

So, I'm changing my oil today and yesterday I bought the oil at Walmart and and went to Advance Auto to get the Mobil 1 filter. I ask the guy and it turns out they were out of the Mobil 1 that I needed for my car. He then proceeds to tell me besides the gasket the Mobil 1 filters are the exact same thing as the K&N, they are even made in the same factory. He then walks me over to this shelf display where they've cut open all these filters and put them side by side, they were the same. Who knows, they could have played a trick on me and put the same filter in front of both labels. So I'm looking and then I see this Bosch filter which very clearly has more pleats in it than either the Mobil 1 and the K&N. Not only that but it too uses the synthetic fibers same as the Mobil 1. I ended up getting the Bosch Distance Plus which actually was the most expensive of the 3 at $14.99.

Bosch Distance Plus is also sold at Walmart.

Just because something is made at the same factory doesn't mean it's the same quality. But some factories literally make one product but will put different labels on it.

Bosch Distance Plus is also sold at Walmart.

I think you're right! At the time I was in Walmart though I was set on buying the Mobil 1 filter to pair with the oil so my mind wasn't interested. :) Might have been a buck or two cheaper at Walmart too.

Doesn't matter. Any modern motor. If you get less air, the motor compensates by providing less fuel.

It will probably affect performance to a small degree, though.

VN Store

Back