Snowboarding/Skiing/Trips/and all things snowsports thread

My favorite is Big Sky, Montana. Three mountains to choose from. Haven't been in five years and really miss that place.

Always wanted to try Big Sky. Heard lots of good things but also heard that the weather can be very tricky often with clouds and fog. What's your take on the weather?

snowbunnies.jpg

Thread improved!

Had a blast at Copper. Small and quiet (I stayed in west village) and liked the quaintness and seclusion.

Love Copper. I've spent entire days on the backside of Copper without seeing another human being, aside from my friend, on the same runs.

Heading up to Keystone in March and will probably spend one day at A-Basin.

In the Rocky Mountains I've been to:

Breckenridge, Copper, Steamboat Springs, Vail, Snowbird, Park City, Taos, a resort in Lake Tahoe the name of which presently escapes me, Arapahoe Basin, Alta, and that's all I can think of. I'm going to Breckenridge in a month. I'm pissed that this girl I know is going to Jackson Hole and not taking me. Like I care if she's going to with her boyfriend? I'm not trying to knock boots with her.

Vail is the best place I've ever been.

I want to go to:

Whistler and Jackson Hole. Whistler because it's bigger than Vail, which strikes me as something I need to see. And Jackson Hole so I can hit Corbet's Couloir like the freaking boss that I am.

I grew up skiing in WV. Worked as a ski instructor my Junior and Senior years as my winter job. I can both snowboard and ski, but I'm merely average on a board (I picked up in college). I'm real real good on sticks. If you're reading this post, that means that I'm better than you at skiing. I'm even filthier than your mother. Well, arguably.

180824_10150146605401233_7982354_n.jpg

This is the best pic I can find.

Love Copper. I've spent entire days on the backside of Copper without seeing another human being, aside from my friend, on the same runs.

Try the Outback at Keystone. Been a while but it used to be remote, steep and through the trees. Front side of Keystone can get crowded sometimes.

We are planning our first "real" ski/board trip to Snowshoe next month. I'm going to see if I can find some late-season deals on gear.

We are planning our first "real" ski/board trip to Snowshoe next month. I'm going to see if I can find some late-season deals on gear.

I've wanted to go to Snowshoe since I got into skiing. I hear nothing but good things. It suppose to be head and shoulders above anything else on the East Coast.

In the Rocky Mountains I've been to:

Breckenridge, Copper, Steamboat Springs, Vail, Snowbird, Park City, Taos, a resort in Lake Tahoe the name of which presently escapes me, Arapahoe Basin, Alta, and that's all I can think of. I'm going to Breckenridge in a month. I'm pissed that this girl I know is going to Jackson Hole and not taking me. Like I care if she's going to with her boyfriend? I'm not trying to knock boots with her.

Vail is the best place I've ever been.

I want to go to:

Whistler and Jackson Hole. Whistler because it's bigger than Vail, which strikes me as something I need to see. And Jackson Hole so I can hit Corbet's Couloir like the freaking boss that I am.

I grew up skiing in WV. Worked as a ski instructor my Junior and Senior years as my winter job. I can both snowboard and ski, but I'm merely average on a board (I picked up in college). I'm real real good on sticks. If you're reading this post, that means that I'm better than you at skiing. I'm even filthier than your mother. Well, arguably.

180824_10150146605401233_7982354_n.jpg

This is the best pic I can find.

you need to add, Kitzbuhel, Austria to your list...it's phenonomal

I've wanted to go to Snowshoe since I got into skiing. I hear nothing but good things. It suppose to be head and shoulders above anything else on the East Coast.

It's definitely the best in the southeast. As for east coast, resorts in Vermont are definitely the best.

You planning on skiing or boarding. I have a few pairs of skis if you want to borrow. Might be able to save you a few bucks in terms of renting for a number of days. There may be some of us closer to you that would also be willing to lend.

Keystone mid-week and hit up the basin any day of the week. Keystone can get very crowded.

It's definitely the best in the southeast. As for east coast, resorts in Vermont are definitely the best.

Gotta agree with this. Been to Gatlinburg, all the NC resorts, Snowshoe and many resorts in NY, Mass and Vt.

Snowshoe is the best in the South
Vermont has the best in the East

you need to add, Kitzbuhel, Austria to your list...it's phenonomal

Depends on your experience, that is where I broke my leg. The banana sled ride down was not much fun but then the nurse was pretty hot - course could have been the drugs they gave me.

If you get another chance in the Alps, try Switzerland - Crans Montana and St. Bernard are awesome. In St. Bernard you can ski down into Italy for good food. Tres Vallee in France is probably the best but it is quite a bit further West.

Depends on your experience, that is where I broke my leg. The banana sled ride down was not much fun but then the nurse was pretty hot - course could have been the drugs they gave me.

If you get another chance in the Alps, try Switzerland - Crans Montana and St. Bernard are awesome. In St. Bernard you can ski down into Italy for good food. Tres Vallee in France is probably the best but it is quite a bit further West.

I never skied in Italy, but did hit St Moritz in Switzerland
I just really enjoyed Kitzbuhel for the skiing and the bars in the town...Especially the Londoneer,

Garmisch in Germany was also pretty good,

I just really enjoyed Kitzbuhel for the skiing and the bars in the town...Especially the Londoner,

I just really enjoyed Kitzbuhel for the skiing and the bars in the town...Especially the Londoner,

St Moritz is pretty good. I'm sure Kitzbühel is awesome, I was bit too young for the bar scene back then.

Garmisch is good for proximity, not far from US army bases and don't have to wind around much in the Alps.

Overall though I prefer the Western US. Snow is better, less ice, less crowded.

You planning on skiing or boarding. I have a few pairs of skis if you want to borrow. Might be able to save you a few bucks in terms of renting for a number of days. There may be some of us closer to you that would also be willing to lend.

Boarding. Feels more natural to me, as I wakeboard and like the maneuverability. I got some good deals at Alpine yesterday, and I'm ready to hit a couple of one day trips to prepare for Snowshoe. Burton Process board with the cool slide lock bindings and Ride boots. Ready for action!

Thanks for the offer. I've borrowed in the past and decided it was time to get my own stuff for convenience and fit.

Boarding. Feels more natural to me, as I wakeboard and like the maneuverability. I got some good deals at Alpine yesterday, and I'm ready to hit a couple of one day trips to prepare for Snowshoe. Burton Process board with the cool slide lock bindings and Ride boots. Ready for action!

Thanks for the offer. I've borrowed in the past and decided it was time to get my own stuff for convenience and fit.

Sounds good man. Just make sure to give us skiers the right of way. :) Have a safe trip.

Be ready for the Ice.

We made the quick trip to Cataloochee today with the kids. It was their first time on skis and they were champs. It was icy and crowded as hell, so re-learning to board was a bit tough, but a good day, nonetheless. My main problem is turning from toe to heel, but after watching some videos, I think I am too far back on the board.

VN Store

Back