Is the Rooney Rule working?

Nerd-Vol

I know this is my second article dealing with race in less that a week or so but I found this interesting. Today the NFL, seemingly on their own, without outside pressure released the following statement regarding this season of coaching hires.

"While there has been full compliance with the interview requirements of the Rooney Rule and we wish the new head coaches and general managers much success, the hiring results this year have been unexpected and reflect a disappointing lack of diversity.

"The Rooney Rule has been a valuable tool in expanding diversity and inclusion in hiring practices, but there is more work to do, especially around increasing and strengthening the pipeline of diverse candidates for head coach and senior football executive positions. We have already started the process of developing a plan for additional steps that will better ensure more diversity and inclusion on a regular basis in our hiring results.

"We look forward to discussing these steps with our advisers to ensure that our employment, development and equal opportunity programs are both robust and successful."

Personally I hadn't even noticed that their were no black coaches hired this year. I am not upset that no black coaches were hired either. I am surprised that no one picked up Lovie Smith though.

I think it just happened to be a year where (excluding Smith) there really weren't many hot name black coaches out their.

I also think the Titans need to pick up Smith as soon as they can.

I think policies like the Rooney rule are mostly designed to give a certain appearance, rather than to actually produce a desired outcome.

It's ineffective and unneccessary. It's just another law to CYA and look "correct".

For the record, I would take hire Hugh Jackson as OC or Lovie as HC tomorrow in Nashville... Because they are upgrades over what we have. I couldn't care less about race.

I think policies like the Rooney rule are mostly designed to give a certain appearance, rather than to actually produce a desired outcome.

I like the rule in theory, as it at least means that a minority coach will get a shot at the job. Then again if a team already has a coach in mind they will just interview some minority, just because they are required to do so (I think the Lions did this some years ago).

The Rooney Rule is working perfectly. It is doing everything it was supposed to, which is to be nothing more than a sideshow.

Everyone loving.the Reid hire and lovie not even really getting a look is sorta weird.

VN Store

Back