Manti Te'o's Dead girlfriend never existed?

I am convinced Te'o was duped.

Manti Te'o acknowledges lying in first TV interview - ESPN

If Te'o had been part of this scheme, there wouldn't be 100s of hours of phone calls.
I suppose he could have dialed a number and then left the phone on for a long time to create a trail in the phone records, but that seems way too diabolical to be true.

Along with how shocking it is that he was duped for so long, I can't believe the perpetrator(s) maintained their own interest in this to that degree. They apparently had nothing better to do for several hours per night for four months than to dupe someone, with no tangible gain.

This story is crazy.

EDIT: When I posted this, the link's title referred to Te'o's interview, but the link takes you to the ESPN story about the phone records.

Last edited:
I am convinced Te'o was duped.

Manti Te'o acknowledges lying in first TV interview - ESPN

If Te'o had been part of this scheme, there wouldn't be 100s of hours of phone calls.
I suppose he could have dialed a number and then left the phone on for a long time to create a trail in the phone records, but that seems way too diabolical to be true.

Along with how shocking it is that he was duped for so long, I can't believe the perpetrator(s) maintained their own interest in this to that degree. They apparently had nothing better to do for several hours per night for four months than to dupe someone, with no tangible gain.

This story is crazy.

EDIT: When I posted this, the link's title referred to Te'o interview, but the link takes you to the ESPN story about the phone records.

I still don't buy what he is trying to sell.

I still don't buy what he is trying to sell.

Agreed. I'll buy that he was duped to begin with, but the tweets and the fact that he was speaking to a dude pretending to be a girl must have given him a cause for skepticism at some point.

He definitely played up the significance of his relationship in front of the cameras, and I think he had cause to know something was wrong but was more concerned with the publicity he was getting.

The Manti Teo story, The biggest hoax in NCAA history. Then part 2, the Manti Teo story, Going through hell, my life in the NFL.

I mean really. Naive is too light of a word. This guy takes the cake for guileless moron of the decade.

I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if that wasn't a role play the whole time for Te'o the freak and his buddy is taking the fall so he can still cash in and they can live happily ever after.

I would almost have more respect for that angle,than the image of him being dumbass of the universe

Agreed. I'll buy that he was duped to begin with, but the tweets and the fact that he was speaking to a dude pretending to be a girl must have given him a cause for skepticism at some point.

He definitely played up the significance of his relationship in front of the cameras, and I think he had cause to know something was wrong but was more concerned with the publicity he was getting.

Unless he's hiding a gay relationship, and I'm not going to speculate on that any further, I don't see why it's hard for anyone to believe at this point that he was duped. He may have also lied about seeing her. But, you don't talk to someone for 100s of hours like that just to pretend. Te'o didn't need to privately spend 110 minutes on the phone in a single call, for example, to publicly convince someone else that he had a g/f. He would just say so. It's not like they spent all those hours chatting about how they were going to dupe the world together.

To me, Te'o being the most gullible person in the universe is the easiest story for me to believe at this point (subject to change as more info comes out).

Unless he's hiding a gay relationship, and I'm not going to speculate on that any further, I don't see why it's hard for anyone to believe at this point that he was duped. He may have also lied about seeing her. But, you don't talk to someone for 100s of hours like that just to pretend. Te'o didn't need to privately spend 110 minutes on the phone in a single call, for example, to publicly convince someone else that he had a g/f. He would just say so. It's not like they spent all those hours chatting about how they were going to dupe the world together.

It's not hard to start a phone call and not actually be talking the whole time. All you have to do is lay the phone down and go about your business.

Heck, he said all along that he and "Lennay" slept on the phone w/ one another.

It's not hard to start a phone call and not actually be talking the whole time. All you have to do is lay the phone down and go about your business.

Heck, he said all along that he and "Lennay" slept on the phone w/ one another.

I did suggest in my previous post that he could have done exactly that - made the call and then left the phone on to create a trail in the phone records. That just seems too extreme/diabolical just to convince everyone of this story. It's possible that could have been part of a conspiracy. But, I'm having an easier time believing that Te'o was duped x 1000 than that he engaged in a consipracy that included 100s of hours of essentially fake/non-calls over a period of months.

I did suggest in my previous post that he could have done exactly that - made the call and then left the phone on to create a trail in the phone records. That just seems too extreme/diabolical just to convince everyone of this story. It's possible that could have been part of a conspiracy. But, I'm having an easier time believing that Te'o was duped x 1000 than that he engaged in a consipracy that included 100s of hours of essentially fake/non-calls over a period of months.

I just don't see how you can spend 500 hours talking to a chick and not realize that it's a dude. No one who isn't a professional voice actor is that good. I also don't see how you don't find it weird that her "brother" keeps contacting you from her phone.

Further, I don't see how you could believe that in the course of one year this girl who is just out of college took trips to New Zealand, Dubai, Vegas, Hawaii (to your hometown, at that, but conveniently when you had no way of being able to fly home to meet her), had something else going on during every one of your away games that she otherwise would have been able to attend, had her father die, got in a car wreck that left her comatose and snapped out of it right when her family agreed to pull the plug, developed leukemia, and died the day after your beloved grandmother.

I don't see how anyone who isn't a high-functioning mentally-challenged person could not see red flags at every turn.

Anyone seen or heard any of the Katie Couric interview? She asked if he was gay and he laughed and said definitely not, he seemed a bit nervous

VN Store

Back