Romney was right: Chrysler to build Jeeps in China

I think you are a bit confused. They are going to build and sell the Jeeps overseas. It is not as if they are going to build Jeeps in China then import them back to the US.

Fact Checker's 'Lie of the Year' Turns Out to Be TRUE

Last month, PolitiFact selected its "Lie of the Year." Given PolitiFact's dubious record of singling out Republicans for lying far more often than Democrats, you probably could have guessed the winner of this particular sweepstakes was a Mitt Romney campaign ad:

It was a lie told in the critical state of Ohio in the final days of a close campaign -- that Jeep was moving its U.S. production to China. It originated with a conservative blogger, who twisted an accurate news story into a falsehood. Then it picked up steam when the Drudge Report ran with it. Even though Jeep's parent company gave a quick and clear denial, Mitt Romney repeated it and his campaign turned it into a TV ad.

And they stood by the claim, even as the media and the public expressed collective outrage against something so obviously false.

"Public expressed collective outrage"? That's essentially wishcasting on the part of PolitiFact, nor are they accurately representing what Mitt Romney said in the ad. In fact, here's PolitiFact's original "fact check" on the matter:

[Mitt Romney] Says Barack Obama "sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China" at the cost of American jobs.

Ok. Now here's what the Reuters reported earlier this week:

By expanding Jeep production to China, instead of increasing Jeep production in the U.S., it's safe to say Jeep (or more properly, Fiat, which now owns Chrysler) is choosing to create more jobs overseas instead of in America where taxpayers bailed the company out.

Whoops: PolitiFact's 'Lie of the Year' Turns Out to Be True | The Weekly Standard

Did Chrysler MOVE jobs from the USA to build these ?

Chrysler said at the time they were restarting production there.

Did Chrysler MOVE jobs from the USA to build these ?

Chrysler said at the time they were restarting production there.

choosing to ""create"" more jobs overseas instead of in America where taxpayers bailed the company out

what part of that do u not get?

Reactions: 1 person
choosing to ""create"" more jobs overseas instead of in America where taxpayers bailed the company out

what part of that do u not get?

What part do you not get?

Romney said Chrysler was moving jobs from the USA to build these.

Chrysler corrected him by saying they were going to restart production over there but they were not moving USA jobs to do so.

Romney campaign continued to say and run the ad saying Chrysler was moving jobs there.

Thus Romney was not being truthful.

Now that Chrysler has restarted production there, did they move USA jobs there?

If they did not, Romney is a liar ( your wording).
If Chrysler did move USA jobs then Romney is correct and Chrysler was a liar.

What part do you not get?

Romney said Chrysler was moving jobs from the USA to build these.

Fact Check: Washington Post Calls Romney Jeep Ad 'Correct'

the Jeep ad airing in Ohio makes no such statement. It says that Chrysler, Jeep's parent, was sold "to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China." That is 100% correct

Fact Check: WaPo Calls Romney Jeep Ad 'Correct'

New jobs vs old jobs. Who gives a crap for. me. Obama is letting a US company take jobs overseas. He campaigned on a I saved the car industry. First paycheck this year went down and companies taking jobs elsewhere. Yea, Forward is not the direction we are moving in.

Now that Chrysler has restarted production there, did they move USA jobs there?.

2 years from now the American Jeep jobs will disappear.
3 years from now Jeeps will be imported from China.

They may be jumping to the end conclusion but I wouldn't be arguing for Fact Checker.

I am so outraged by this. I can't believe any company in the auto industry would manufacture cars in the county they plan to sell them in. What's next Toyota building plants in th US?

/sarcasm

Chrysler had a plant in China that had been closed or production cut way back due to sales.

At the time Romney was running his ad saying Chrysler was moving jobs to China to build Jeeps. Chrysler made a statement saying they were going to restart production of Jeeps in China but there would not be US jobs lost due to this. Romney continued running his ad.

Chrysler has now restarted production at a plant they already had in China to build Jeeps.

The Romney ad was not truthful. Anyone with a third grade education can see that.

We live in a worldwide economy. Chrysler was already invested in the plant in China. They simply restarted production.

Guess what. Honda, Toyota. Hyundai and BMW produce vehicles in the US. It is the world we love in.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly didn't the talking head for Chrysler say they were not doing anything in china (at all)

Chrysler had a plant in China that had been closed or production cut way back due to sales.

At the time Romney was running his ad saying Chrysler was moving jobs to China to build Jeeps. Chrysler made a statement saying they were going to restart production of Jeeps in China but there would not be US jobs lost due to this. Romney continued running his ad.

Chrysler has now restarted production at a plant they already had in China to build Jeeps.

The Romney ad was not truthful. A anyone with a third grade education can see that.

We live in a worldwide economy. Chrysler was already invested in the plant in China. They simply restarted production.

Guess what. Honda, Toyota. Hyundai and BMW produce vehicles in the US. It is the world we love in.

You might be onto something, Gramps.

If I remember correctly didn't the talking head for Chrysler say they were not doing anything in china (at all)

No. Gramps is right. Chrysler CEO said at the time they were planning to RESTART production in China and no US jobs would be affected. Romney campaign not only continued to run TV ad but also started radio ads after being debunked.

Romney ads stated that Jeep planned to move their U.S plant to China. American jobs were about to be lost, and it was Obama' fault. Chrysler said that they had no intention of moving its U.S. Jeep plants overseas, that they were keeping the U.S. plants open and increasing production within the U.S., while also opening a plant in China for that market. Keeping them open in the U.S. is not moving them to China, and increasing production is even more the opposite. So Romney clearly misrepresented the situation. Even after Chrysler corrected him, he continued the false ads.

The frightening thing about this is that the OP does not see the difference. More frightening still is that politicians must believe there are a lot of people out there like him. I used to think that politicians told so many lies because they could just tell more any time they were caught. If they got caught in one lie, they would just tell three more to confuse the issue, and so on. The odds were in their favor. But I am beginning to wonder if politicians tell so many lies because so many people simply cannot see the difference between true and false, even when it is very clear. Volmav obviously cannot. I'm not just talking about people who know something is a lie and approve it because of partisanship. I am talking about people who cannot see the difference. Given that we live in an age of mass communications, that is freaking scary.

Last edited:
Why not use a plant in the USA to build autos to sell to the Chinese? If the Chinese are going to buy Jeeps

"Why not" is not the point. If you cannot understand the business decision by Chrysler to build a plant in that market, then it is a good thing you are not a Chrysler executive. The point is the Romney campaign was wrong in their ads. Even after Romney was told by Chrysler that the ads were wrong, he continued to run them, and you apparently continued to believe them. Duh...

Not that I expect an honest answer, but I really want to know, so I have to ask. Do you just pretend to be that stupid? Or is that how stupid you really are?

Last edited:
Why not use a plant in the USA to build autos to sell to the Chinese? If the Chinese are going to buy Jeeps

You are so right. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Kia, Volkswagen, etc should close their US plants and just export from Japan/Korea/Germany. Thanks Mav, you've got it all figured out.

VN Store

Back