Those who say CCM doesn't work the refs...

bleedingTNorange

His thoughts on the officiating in recent games:

“The Kentucky game, I thought that was a tough officiated game. That was a game I was sitting there trying to get a tech from those guys. I thought there were some questionable calls at Alabama as well. As hard as you’re playing, you’re trying to compete and as tough as it is to win on the road, you’ve got to give guys a fair chance. I thought some of those calls; I thought they were ridiculous to be honest with you. I said you can’t win ball games like that. Then if it’s going to be played that way just call it on both ends of the floor. I just think you have to have some consistency in that department.”

Reactions: 5 people
He has never had a technical foul called on him his entire coaching career according to the game announcers. So it's hard to buy what you are selling.

Reactions: 3 people
Why does everyone(I realized not everyone, literally) want him to get a tech? I think he works the refs enough. Vol fans should be proud that we don't have a bat crap crazy guy losing control of his emotions and providing that as an example to his players. Coaches that scream and cuss on the regular teach their players to do so as well. That isn't good for anyone.

Reactions: 4 people
Just thought I'd share because it's a hot topic on here, and something many criticize him for. I've also not seen him work the refs too much, once in awhile, but not like say Cal does.

However, Quinn has said recent things, and now this quote...it makes me wonder if he does it during TV timeouts? Quinn has talked about him barking at the refs recently, and shocked he didn't get Td, but I didn't see it, so maybe it was during TOs.

Just thought I'd share.

I have seen many games where a well timed technical has spurred the team on to motivate the team. I have no data to back it up just what I have seen. When I played in HS we responded well if the refs where really making bad calls and our coach, Buck VanHuss finally got fed up and tore into the refs. We felt like he had our backs. IMHO

Reactions: 1 person
I have seen many games where a well timed technical has spurred the team on to motivate the team. I have no data to back it up just what I have seen. When I played in HS we responded well if the refs where really making bad calls and our coach, Buck VanHuss finally got fed up and tore into the refs. We felt like he had our backs. IMHO

I agree, and we could've used it a couple times this year. Just thought it was interesting that maybe he does actually get on the refs some.

If he wanted a tech he could have gotten one. Its not that hard

I wondered the same...I don't think the guy cusses so i kinda was wondering, what do you say?

You're just unbelievable ref, you're turrible.

I mean, you get your point across and get Td a lot quicker if you're cussing at them I'd have to think.

I doubt, you're heads up his butt, is gonna do much...but them again idk.

Show some emotion. Just go ballistic, which can be done w/o swearing

Josh Pastner ripped off his jacket, kicked his chair, and slung his papers onto the court an didn't get Td up here lol.

It just seems most Ts are a coach saying something that quickly triggers the T.

I wondered the same...I don't think the guy cusses so i kinda was wondering, what do you say?

You're just unbelievable ref, you're turrible.

I mean, you get your point across and get Td a lot quicker if you're cussing at them I'd have to think.

I doubt, you're heads up his butt, is gonna do much...but them again idk.

Tell him to watch some old Pearl tapes... he got T'd for just removing that orange blazer....

CCM has a lot of coaching problems and this is just one of them. Kinda reminds me of Dooley not having his players back.

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting thread from the cuonzo club. This just shows he can't get a tech even when he tries. Even the refs don't respect him enough.

I thought some of those calls; I thought they were ridiculous to be honest with you. I said you can’t win ball games like that. Then if it’s going to be played that way just call it on both ends of the floor. I just think you have to have some consistency in that department.”

So he's gone from blaming players not making enough shots to the refs now? Good grief.

Yeah, because receiving techs is all about being respected.

NCAA refs understand that a tech is a coach's tool. When a coach is trying to get one during a tough stretch of a game and the refs look the other way what would you call it?

who cares about a tech. Work the refs. Work the angles. Work them on handchecking. Illegal picks. Over the backs, etc, etc. You work the refs, you get the calls. You don't work them and you don't. Everygame, all game, work the refs.

He has never had a technical foul called on him his entire coaching career according to the game announcers. So it's hard to buy what you are selling.

Especially when the OP himself, said just the other day in another thread, that was his one complaint against CCM, the fact he never engages the ref's on bad questionable calls. Talk about calling the kettle black so to speak. Ridiculous thread by OP.

NCAA refs understand that a tech is a coach's tool. When a coach is trying to get one during a tough stretch of a game and the refs look the other way what would you call it?

Not freakin respect. You realize a tech punishes the receiving team, right. To say that a ref respects a coach so he helps him out by T'ing him up and thereby helping that team is to say that the refs are biased. Which plays directly into Cuonzo's argument of the officiating going against UT (to which you replied something about Cuonzo deflecting blame). So what's it gonna be? can't have it both ways.

Especially when the OP himself, said just the other day in another thread, that was his one complaint against CCM, the fact he never engages the ref's on bad questionable calls. Talk about calling the kettle black so to speak. Ridiculous thread by OP.

It is my biggest complaint, but when something is put out just because it goes against my belief I still can post it can't I?

I've said Quinn has mentioned it in the last week, and now this article...so maye he works them more than any of us (including myself) realized. Is that not ok?

Last edited:
Working the refs is obvious a weakness of CCM. I've never seen a half of college bb where a team doesn't shoot 1 ft in a half like in the KY game. Not saying that it's never been done, but I don't recall ever seeing it. Ole Miss set a record for most ft shot by an opponent in TBA.

VN Store

Back