If we land 4.

I disagree with that----I think Jones is busting his ass to recruit--and the staff...and if you want to count some other ways we're better off than with Doofus we can. Only thing we need to see is an improved product on the field---we'll see how that works.
Saban pulled in the #10 class in 2007, in spite of not being hired til January, and in spite of UA being .500 the previous year. Then, coming off another .500 season, he pulled the #1 class in America in 2008.

Lane Kiffin pulled a top 10 class in his initial year. Derek Dooley, pitiful as he was, inherited a .500 team and finished with a top 10 team.

But then here comes Butch Jones and he's working hard. That's great. Lots of people work hard but that doesn't mean that they are up to their job. I hope he works out, but thusfar he's been underwhelming, and in spite of all the excuses, we have immediate examples of guys who were able to recruit. You can't judge Jones based solely on one class, but acting as though this year's class isn't a big factor when you judge him is foolish.

Saban pulled in the #10 class in 2007, in spite of not being hired til January, and in spite of UA being .500 the previous year. Then, coming off another .500 season, he pulled the #1 class in America in 2008.

Lane Kiffin pulled a top 10 class in his initial year. Derek Dooley, pitiful as he was, inherited a .500 team and finished with a top 10 team.

But then here comes Butch Jones and he's working hard. That's great. Lots of people work hard but that doesn't mean that they are up to their job. I hope he works out, but thusfar he's been underwhelming, and in spite of all the excuses, we have immediate examples of guys who were able to recruit. You can't judge Jones based solely on one class, but acting as though this year's class isn't a big factor when you judge him is foolish.

While that may be true, 2014 is arguably one of the best classes the state of Tennessee has ever produced in the past decade or two, so I think that class will by far be the most important to see if he can keep the in-state talent.

If we land all 4 of them you are talking about i will run buck naked up and down toad road where i live, wont be pretty sight.

Lane was a top 100 recruit coming in as a freshman I believe. I personally think he'll excel and really stand out in Jones' new style, his strengths align more with this system more so than Neal's IMO. Even if we get Green, and he is as good as advertised, I don't see him making an immediate impact.

Neal and Lane were both 4 stars coming out of high school and both highly rated. Idk I guess I'm just not to high on those guys. Don't get me wrong their good backs with talent, but I'm just ready for a big back that will put a hurting on people. I do think Green would have a impact here if he really is that good. I'm talking can't miss talent though. I'm ready for UT to get one of those rare guys that are ready to play from day one. Alabama seems to get one every year. UGA got a good one too.

You should really consider the fact that each coach after Fulmer has been dealt a worse hand than the coach before him.

Butch is replacing the worst coach in UT history, it's going to take some time to create in-roads with a whole new database of recruits who only know a down and beaten UT.

He needs to get a few that were off our radar under Dooley and pull a respectable class, he will have his chance next year with all the legacies and in-state recruiting to pull a monster class.

Tr me, this staff has until next NSD to prove themselves.

I agree, we need a homerun hitter that has Heisman potential. Its time our running game got back to being potent. It would only help our new QBs and help open up the pass attack with Bowles, Pig, Croom, etc..

HONOR THY VOLS...CHERISH THEM...

The # of 2nd tier recruits we have committed vs. Fla/UA/LSU/GA is disturbing. Even if we landed most of the high level players we're targeting, we'd still be well behind those schools.

Butch Jones has to be far better than he has shown thus far in recruiting if he's going to make it. Even Dooley, whose own fan club now concedes was pathetic, got off to a far better start in recruiting than Jones appears to be.

I don't want to go down this road again I really don't but you just can't compare CBJ's situation to Dooley's first year or Kiffin's first year. Dooley inherited a top ten class with I think 8 EE's already in school. CBJ inherited a 25+ ranked class with a bunch of dead weight. CBJ has had to basically put together an entire class in two months while Dooley only needed to add 3-4 players and his class was done. In Kiffin's case he did everything possible to get recruits in his first year including breaking rules and taking every character misfit he could find. I don't care where that class was ranked it was the worst class in the history of Tennessee football. There are just to many variables that go into recruiting to make these type comparisons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
[/B]

I don't want to go down this road again I really don't but you just can't compare CBJ's situation to Dooley's first year or Kiffin's first year. Dooley inherited a top ten class with I think 8 EE's already in school. CBJ inherited a 25+ ranked class with a bunch of dead weight. CBJ has had to basically put together an entire class in two months while Dooley only needed to add 3-4 players and his class was done. In Kiffin's case he did everything possible to get recruits in his first year including breaking rules and taking every character misfit he could find. I don't care where that class was ranked it was the worst class in the history of Tennessee football. There are just to many variables that go into recruiting to make these type comparisons.

Truth.

IF Green is as good as advertised and UT pulls him then he could be the biggest recruit the Vols land in years. New coach and QB, we will need a running game more then ever. The line is solid, and if Green could come in and be a star from day 1 like a Richardson, Lacey, Lattimore, and so on, then that will be a godsend to a down program with a new staff and qb/wrs. I like Neal and Lane but let's face facts they wouldn't sniff playing time with the big dogs of the SEC. If we miss on some of these blue chips it won't feel as bad if we land Green. IMO

absolutely

[/B]

Agree. We are still in uncharted territory mode as a whole

Man, I understand where you're coming from, but here are a few reasons why these are not very good comparisons:

Saban......Well, he's Saban......and it was Alabama. I don't care what their record was previously.

Kiffin came in with an allstar coaching staff including his dad (from the NFL).

CBJ has the wonderful opportunity of being our 4th coach in 5 years. He is kind of starting out with the deck stacked against him IMHO, but he seems to be doing OK. That will not work in the long run for sure, but I'm willing to give him time. What else can we do.

GBO VFL!!!

We have a real coach now to coach 'em up, so top 15 or 20 should be keep us highly competitive

Keep in mind, top 15 in the country is roughly top 5 or 6 in the SEC. We don't need to lose site of where we finish in our conference because we go to war with those guys every week.

I do love this staff though and it would be great to finish in the top 15 for this year. :salute::salute:

Man, I understand where you're coming from, but here are a few reasons why these are not very good comparisons:

Saban......Well, he's Saban......and it was Alabama. I don't care what their record was previously.

Kiffin came in with an allstar coaching staff including his dad (from the NFL).

CBJ has the wonderful opportunity of being our 4th coach in 5 years. He is kind of starting out with the deck stacked against him IMHO, but he seems to be doing OK. That will not work in the long run for sure, but I'm willing to give him time. What else can we do.

GBO VFL!!!

BJ can win with what we already have, maybe not against the top 3 or so in conf, but the rest he should.

VN Store

Back