Dooley /Players 2011 Kentucky Game

According to other players, Bray and DR both said that they did not want to play "in a crappy bowl" and Bray wanted to go home to California. A lot of the players wanted the season to be over and did not want to practice another month in the cold, which got the seniors POd and led to the calling out. Dooley should have been fired right then, because it was obvious that the coaches had lost control and respect. Wilcox and some of the position coaches were probably looking around by then, too.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Bray and Hunter didn't want to play in a crappy bowl this year, either. They knew they were leaving and were ready to go, and Hunter especially didn't want to risk getting hurt. But it always comes back to the coach. If players aren't into it, sit them and put in someone who will give it all to win.

Reactions: 2 people
Okay, what rivals did Dooley ever beat? How many 10 win seasons did he have?

Good post.

Shula was so bad he's made it to OC of the Carolina Panthers. (sarcasm)

Wonder how long it will take Dools to get a HS gig?

Kevin Sumlin, Gus Malzahn, Larry Fedora, etc. etc, all could have easily have been hired...the real question here is "who could have been worse?"

Also, it's funny how all the Hamilton/Dooley defenders know exactly who was interested and who wasn't without ever actually talking to any of them. I guess in your special little world, there's no point in having an AD, conducting a search, or even negotiating salaries and incentives. Nope, whoever gets hired is automatically the best candidate and no one better was willing to take the job.

When did you speak with Sumlin, Malzahn and Fedora?

We had options other than Dooley (Patterson, Sumlin and others), but we could have deferred. We could have named Kippy Brown interim coach, prevented the defection of players and kept the recruiting class. If he rose to the occasion, maybe he was our guy... or if not, we had plenty of time to find a top-notch option. Kiffin may have crashed the program into a tree, but Dooley pulled the tree right down on top of it.

What actually happened? I've heard bits and pieces but have never really got a total account of what actually went down. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Well hell, while we're at it, will someone enlighten me as to what went down when we lost to Wyoming? North Texas State? Why not jump in the "wayback machine" and ***** about losing to Suwanee in the early 1900's.

Post is red meat for whiners who refuse to move on. :horse:

Reactions: 1 person
No coach wanted the job, so Hamilton had to settle for someone before National Signing Day.

Dooley = Shula

Shula was hired at "O Bama" because no one else wanted the job.

Dooley was hired at U.T. because no one else wanted the job.

Shula was "O Bama's" 10 choice as their coach.

Dooley was our tenth choice.

Shula could recruit, fairly well but could not coach.

Dooley could recruit, fairly well but could not coach.

Dooley father was a coaching legend.

Shula's father was a coaching legend.

Shula was the keeper of the "O Bama" program until they could get off of probation and hire a better coach.

Dooley was the keeper of the U.T. program until they could hire a better coach.
Shula was infinitely better than Dooley

Well hell, while we're at it, will someone enlighten me as to what went down when we lost to Wyoming? North Texas State? Why not jump in the "wayback machine" and ***** about losing to Suwanee in the early 1900's.

North Texas State. Well, that was another beauty. I was there. Some midget back ran for over 100 yards and had like a 99 yard kickoff return. We had first and goal at the 9 and ended up punting on 4th and goal from the 41. You couldn't make up what happened in that game. At the time seemed like rock bottom of all time on Rocky Top.

thanks for the insight into my soul.

No coach wanted the job, so Hamilton had to settle for someone before National Signing Day.

Dooley = Shula

Shula was the keeper of the "O Bama" program until they could get off of probation and hire a better coach.

Mike Shula is insulted with this comparison.

What actually happened? I've heard bits and pieces but have never really got a total account of what actually went down. Anyone care to enlighten me?

The team just quit its as simple as that, the players thought they would fire Dooley then but it back fired and we didnt.

We had options other than Dooley (Patterson, Sumlin and others), but we could have deferred. We could have named Kippy Brown interim coach, prevented the defection of players and kept the recruiting class. If he rose to the occasion, maybe he was our guy... or if not, we had plenty of time to find a top-notch option. Kiffin may have crashed the program into a tree, but Dooley pulled the tree right down on top of it.

Don't know why this is still brought up. Kippy was not going to take an interim position.

North Texas State. Well, that was another beauty. I was there. Some midget back ran for over 100 yards and had like a 99 yard kickoff return. We had first and goal at the 9 and ended up punting on 4th and goal from the 41. You couldn't make up what happened in that game. At the time seemed like rock bottom of all time on Rocky Top.

I was there too, ZZ. Want to complain about it for the next 10 years like some of the present day crybabies??? :cray::cray:

I was there too, ZZ. Want to complain about it for the next 10 years like some of the present day crybabies??? :cray::cray:

I was also there. A friend of mine sat head in hands stunned post game for over an hour b4 could leave stands...

Nope. Just reporting the facts of the game and the general reaction at the time. I've been through many "all time lows". There will be more for all of us. Just keep moving forward...

Dooley = Shula

Shula would curb stomp Dooley. Atleast Shula did go to a BCS Bowl.

Reactions: 2 people

Dooley = Shula

great post

If you look at the list of coaching candidates who were supposedly contacted in 2009, none of them were interested in the U.T. job.

Bill Cowher, Lovie Smith, Butch Davis, Will Muschamp, Coach at Boise State, Coach at TCU, Brian Kelly, Coach at Oklahoma, all showed no interest in the job.

So, we end up with a person who was not even on our initial list. Muschamp suggested we interview Dooley and Hamilton contacted Saban about Dooley to get Saban's input.

So, who was interested in the job, that would have been a better hire than Dooley?

You said that "no one else was intersted was a BS statement" Then why didn't someone else get hired who was better qualified than Dooley????

They say that Dooley wasn't even being considered for the job until Muschamp mentioned his name to Hamilton. In other words Muschamp said I'm not interested but you should call my buddy Dooley and Hamilton did, that shows how desperate he was to get a coach.

Last edited:

Dooley = Shula

Wrong on so many levels.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

They say that Dooley wasn't even being considered for the job until Muschamp mentioned his name to Hamilton. In other words Muschamp said I'm not interested but you should call my buddy Dooley and Hamilton did, that shows how desperate he was to get a coach.

Hamilton was desperate for a p.r. rescue, like he always was, rather than finding the best available coach. The fact he picked a fired kiddie coach who has gone on to underperform badly at USC as his first dream coach speaks volumes to what Hamilton truly valued in a coach: flash and no substance. Dooley was the best of the "who might look ok at the press conference" rather than "who might actually win games for Tennessee."

Here are some available coaches who fit the latter category that year:
1. Mike Leach;
2. Gus Malzahn;
3. Hugh Freeze;
4. Sonny Dykes;
5. Dana Holgorsen;
6. Doug Marrone

Dooley = Shula

Croom wanted the Bama job and Croom is what got Shula fired.

VN Store

Back