If we land 4.

nc vol fan

Now before all the people who seem to know Everything all the time chime in, I would like to know your opinion. This is based on a bunch of IFS . Say we land Green, Bell, Lawson, and North as well as keep everyone else committed is that a good enough class this year compared to the rest in our league to be competitive . I believe we would still be about 5th in sec approx. ranked if it played out that way , but also you take say the top 5 to 7 national ranked teams no matter what order in my eyes only I think they are pretty even what say the rest of you?

Reactions: 2 people
Now before all the people who seem to know Everything all the time chime in, I would like to know your opinion. This is based on a bunch of IFS . Say we land Green, Bell, Lawson, and North as well as keep everyone else committed is that a good enough class this year compared to the rest in our league to be competitive . I believe we would still be about 5th in sec approx. ranked if it played out that way , but also you take say the top 5 to 7 national ranked teams no matter what order in my eyes only I think they are pretty even what say the rest of you?

Are we suppose to respond, or not respond? You can't have it both ways.

If we landed all those guys it would be a beast of a class, but that's not going to happen. If we get one or two it will be great - and it will be a good class.

I don't see us being competitive talent/experience wise next year except on our O-line, and possibly the linebacking core. Lawson and Bell would help, but we wouldn't see a huge benefit until 14 in my opinion. Green could have the biggest impact due to the experience of the O-line. I'm still undecided on North's impact. If I remember correctly we had a decent group of receivers come in last year, and those guys will be practicing all Spring in the new system.

Reactions: 1 person
Just signing those 3-4 kids won't make us immediately competitive with the Alabama's of the world. What it will do is start to shift perception in the eyes of future recruits in the 14 and 15 classes. That is where it will help us close the gap. There is NO class currently still on the board that will make us automatically competitive more or less with the elite teams. Where we will see gains on the field this year is from a team that is motivated and WANTS to play and do well for their head coach. That will be an improvement in itself.

If we can end up 5th in the SEC with a losing record 3 out of the last 4 years we are definitely overacheiving on the recruiting trail. I beleive last year we were the highest ranked team that had a losing record the prior year (???).

Adding elite freshmen will not have immediate results in 2013 but will go along way to getting us on the right track. Next year will come down to getting better coaching and adjusting during the games. Hopefully Jones will far surpass Dooley in this regard.

Competitive with who? One recruiting class will not make UT competitive. There are approx 65 scholly players there right now. Getting more out of them is what will make UT competitive.

Lawson will make an immediate impact as an elite pass rusher.

Bell will most likely made a pretty big impact as well, or at least I expect him too.

Alexander is the same way if by God's grace we can land him.

IF Green is as good as advertised and UT pulls him then he could be the biggest recruit the Vols land in years. New coach and QB, we will need a running game more then ever. The line is solid, and if Green could come in and be a star from day 1 like a Richardson, Lacey, Lattimore, and so on, then that will be a godsend to a down program with a new staff and qb/wrs. I like Neal and Lane but let's face facts they wouldn't sniff playing time with the big dogs of the SEC. If we miss on some of these blue chips it won't feel as bad if we land Green. IMO

@jersey ,I don't know where you get Green walks on campus and starts from day 1.Lane , Neal is just not going to hand the job to him. It don't matter what he did in high school once you get to college. If he comes to UT he will have to earn that spot. Bryce Brown was a 5* and he didn't start from day 1.

We aren't going to just going to start knocking off SEC powers based on one excellent recruiting class. How does Bama and LSU do it---consistently stacking top 10 classes on top of top 10 classes year after year and building a winning reputation. I agree with the previous poster...Butch is going to have to take the talent we've had (which I'd say is a fair amount) and over achieve this coming season..and based on his track record (knock on wood) I think he can do it.

These next 2 weekends will ultimately decide our fate for the next decade. If we land all or most of the Greenes, Lawsons, Bells, etc...TN football will be back in black and look like a top 10 program of all-time. If we strike out with them, that ominous black cloud that has been following us for the past 4-5 years will grow and we will be irrelevant for another decade!

HONOR THY VOLS...CHERISH THEM...

The # of 2nd tier recruits we have committed vs. Fla/UA/LSU/GA is disturbing. Even if we landed most of the high level players we're targeting, we'd still be well behind those schools.

Butch Jones has to be far better than he has shown thus far in recruiting if he's going to make it. Even Dooley, whose own fan club now concedes was pathetic, got off to a far better start in recruiting than Jones appears to be.

Having read all of this....

Isn't it amazing though what 2-3 really talented freshman can do for an entire offense of defense? I could list you several true freshman that saw significant playing time on several SEC teams this year that made a huge impact.

We need some of those.

Having read all of this....

Isn't it amazing though what 2-3 really talented freshman can do for an entire offense of defense? I could list you several true freshman that saw significant playing time on several SEC teams this year that made a huge impact.

We need some of those.
Any of them would help, but Lawson could be a game changer. A player like him could almost singlehandedly turn the D around.

The # of 2nd tier recruits we have committed vs. Fla/UA/LSU/GA is disturbing. Even if we landed most of the high level players we're targeting, we'd still be well behind those schools.

Butch Jones has to be far better than he has shown thus far in recruiting if he's going to make it. Even Dooley, whose own fan club now concedes was pathetic, got off to a far better start in recruiting than Jones appears to be.

I disagree with that----I think Jones is busting his ass to recruit--and the staff...and if you want to count some other ways we're better off than with Doofus we can. Only thing we need to see is an improved product on the field---we'll see how that works.

@jersey ,I don't know where you get Green walks on campus and starts from day 1.Lane , Neal is just not going to hand the job to him. It don't matter what he did in high school once you get to college. If he comes to UT he will have to earn that spot. Bryce Brown was a 5* and he didn't start from day 1.

Didn't say he would, however if Green is as good as say a Trent Richardson or a Marcus Lattimore he will start from day one. Trent Richardson would of started over any back we had his freshman year including Hardesty. If Green is a Freshman stud then it wont' matter what Lane and Neal do.

Last edited:
These next 2 weekends will ultimately decide our fate for the next decade. If we land all or most of the Greenes, Lawsons, Bells, etc...TN football will be back in black and look like a top 10 program of all-time. If we strike out with them, that ominous black cloud that has been following us for the past 4-5 years will grow and we will be irrelevant for another decade!

HONOR THY VOLS...CHERISH THEM...

I think that's a bit of an over reaction.

I'm not saying give him the spot because he is a 5* recruit but if he is the real deal then he should beat out the backs we have.

IF Green is as good as advertised and UT pulls him then he could be the biggest recruit the Vols land in years. New coach and QB, we will need a running game more then ever. The line is solid, and if Green could come in and be a star from day 1 like a Richardson, Lacey, Lattimore, and so on, then that will be a godsend to a down program with a new staff and qb/wrs. I like Neal and Lane but let's face facts they wouldn't sniff playing time with the big dogs of the SEC. If we miss on some of these blue chips it won't feel as bad if we land Green. IMO

Lane was a top 100 recruit coming in as a freshman I believe. I personally think he'll excel and really stand out in Jones' new style, his strengths align more with this system more so than Neal's IMO. Even if we get Green, and he is as good as advertised, I don't see him making an immediate impact.

VN Store

Back