Things Could Get Better

The more I think about it, the more I feel like Kenny Halls mediocre play may be one of the biggest reasons why our season hasn't been more successful. He's going to look back on his career and wish he had left more on the court.

We have needed someone to step up in that spot with Maymon out. Yemi has done his part, but he's so limited offensively. Hall could be the real deal. But he won't be.

Our guard play sucks - poor shooting, assist to turnover ratio - awful, poor rebounding, can't or won't distribute the ball, poor ball handling, poor coaching, and sometimes we miss the rim when shooting our free throws. Not impressed with the skills of the people Coach M has brought in his first two years. If they can't step it up in recruiting - we will see more of the Wade Houston look a likes.

As I've said I'll wait until after the season to make my judgment...finish with 17 or more wins and I'll feel good about next year.

I understand this approach. But I have to admit that I like our pieces. I think we are building a pretty good foundation with solid 4 year players (those 4 year players are first and second year players now), and a few blue chips here and there.

Our offensive struggles have held us back. The adjustments that Coach Martin has had to make to spark more scoring has kept us from being able to play the type of defense he wants. We were down right dominating offenses early in the year. Mixing in that type of defense with better offensive talent on offense next year (Hubbs and Maymon) should mean more wins.

I mean who really knows though? Next year will surely be the test. If we have the same struggles next season, I will definitely start to lose the grip on my positive spin.

with? And Mcbee pretty much was replaced last game wasn't he?

If they are the least productive players, per the OP, they should be replaced with anyone on the bench - it couldn't get worse.

And McBee played more than a quarter of the game minutes.

There is no reason to bring positive discussion to the board anymore because we can name the posters that lineup to tell you that we are poorly coached or making excuses.

I used to get involved on message boards with such people, but it is simply not worth it. You can tell people that the ocean is blue, and they will try to explain how it is really turquoise.

I don't think anybody is happy with starting 0-3 in conference, but last time I checked, we hadn't decided to get rid of the basketball program. So, let's see what happens.

Reactions: 2 people
We were down right dominating offenses early in the year.

Not really. Our points per possession ranked at the bottom in the league. The reason our PPG allowed was low was slowing the game down and limiting possiessions for the other team.

I don't get these points from the OP:

1. Super young team. - How many freshmen do we start?
2. We replace least productive players McBee and Hall next season. - Why not replace them now?
3. It feels like we are slowly growing. - What is the team growth? We're on a 4 game losing streak?

1. I'm talking about contributors. There are freshmen playing big minutes on this team. Our two worst contributors are seniors. That shouldn't be the case.
2. With who? Chievous? Rob Murphy? Stokes spends the whole game in foul trouble and with Maymon and Miller out Hall is still the best option. I think McBee is somebody that is just going to play. He hustles and gives the effort that Cuonzo wants on the defensive end, and there's always a chance of him getting hot from three.
3. We also won 4 in a row right before that. And the last 4 losses are to some pretty good teams, besides maybe Alabama, but that's not even my point. We're not very good right now. I realize that. I'm not trying to convince you that we are. I am trying to look at the team as a process. As a foundation for the next couple of seasons. These freshmen, sophomores and juniors will most likely all be back next year. Chances are some of them will improve. Chances are some of them will improve throughout the rest of this season. I still like watching them play. I just don't see this as an all or nothing year. I am giving Coach Martin some slack and a chance to struggle. Next year should be better. If not, we can figure it out then.

If they are the least productive players, per the OP, they should be replaced with anyone on the bench - it couldn't get worse.

So you're saying Armani Moore=Robert Hubbs and Derek Reese=Jeronne Maymon??

The point the OP I believe is trying to make, is that the guys we have coming in to replace those players are much more talented. Instead of benching unproductive Mcbee for say Armani, we'll have Hubbs playing there instead, big upgrade. And instead of a Derek Reese replacing hall, you'll have an all-sec performer in Maymon instead.

I don't expect you to see the positive side of it, but that's 2 upgrades to our lineup that really can't be argued.

I said the least productive player that contributes. What, do you think Stockton and Malone are sitting on our bench?

I have a hard time understanding the seemingly relentless optimism some people still seem to possess, but those who do seem to be the same folks that thought this was a sweet 16 team.

If we start losing to the dregs of the SEC then I'll be more than concerned. We had a chance to win at Bama and at Ky. Poor guard play down the stretch in both games doomed us. We need some kind of lead to win those type of games because I don't have a lot of confidence that our guards are going to pull it out in a close game.

If we lose this weekend to a bad Miss St team at home then everyone should be concerned.

Reactions: 1 person
1. I'm talking about contributors. There are freshmen playing big minutes on this team. Our two worst contributors are seniors. That shouldn't be the case.
2. With who? Chievous? Rob Murphy? Stokes spends the whole game in foul trouble and with Maymon and Miller out Hall is still the best option. I think McBee is somebody that is just going to play. He hustles and gives the effort that Cuonzo wants on the defensive end, and there's always a chance of him getting hot from three.
3. We also won 4 in a row right before that. And the last 4 losses are to some pretty good teams, besides maybe Alabama, but that's not even my point. We're not very good right now. I realize that. I'm not trying to convince you that we are. I am trying to look at the team as a process. As a foundation for the next couple of seasons. These freshmen, sophomores and juniors will most likely all be back next year. Chances are some of them will improve. Chances are some of them will improve throughout the rest of this season. I still like watching them play. I just don't see this as an all or nothing year. I am giving Coach Martin some slack and a chance to struggle. Next year should be better. If not, we can figure it out then.

I get tired of building foundation when are we going to start laying the brick that builds the building.:)

I have a hard time understanding the seemingly relentless optimism some people still seem to possess, but those who do seem to be the same folks that thought this was a sweet 16 team.

Weird, I have a hard time understanding the seemingly relentless pessimism. I mean, this is sports. We do want the team to win. I love Tennessee. I love seeing the best in our players that wear orange.

The thing is, I can see the path we could take in which things could go our way, in anything. If this one thing were to happen... This one outcome would be the result. Do we always go down the right path? No. Lately, neither our basketball or football teams seem to able to find that right path. But sometimes they do. That's what keeps me watching games, and keeps the games fun. It also keeps me from being a miserable POS when it comes to talking about my teams.

Weird, I have a hard time understanding the seemingly relentless pessimism. I mean, this is sports. We do want the team to win. I love Tennessee. I love seeing the best in our players that wear orange.

The thing is, I can see the path we could take in which things could go our way, in anything. If this one thing were to happen... This one outcome would be the result. Do we always go down the right path? No. Lately, neither our basketball or football teams seem to able to find that right path. But sometimes they do. That's what keeps me watching games, and keeps the games fun. It also keeps me from being a miserable POS when it comes to talking about my teams.

You must've not been around here very long. Johnny Majors didn't call them the Legions of the Miserable for nuttin'.

I have been a 76er fan as long as I can remember and pay for the NBA package to watch them lose 3-4 nights a week......my optimism died when I was trying to convince myself shawn Bradley was going to be a player. LOL

I have been a 76er fan as long as I can remember and pay for the NBA package to watch them lose 3-4 nights a week......my optimism died when I was trying to convince myself shawn Bradley was going to be a player. LOL

Haha. I could see that sucking the life out of somebody.

In actuality I'm probably not even that optimistic, especially while I'm watching games. I like to give myself some glimmer of hope, or else why pay attention? But the reaction around here is so extreme sometimes that I end up falling on the just-as-extreme-super-positive side just because I still have fun watching them and I don't want to fire Cuonzo Martin yet.

Fair enough.

Bottom line. Winning is fun. Losing sucks.

Agreed. I'll try to stop making losses seem so okay. I'm not sure why I tend to do that. I did it all 3 Dooley years. You just have high standards for our Vols and get upset when those standards aren't met. There's nothing wrong with that. :salute:

Haha. I could see that sucking the life out of somebody.

In actuality I'm probably not even that optimistic, especially while I'm watching games. I like to give myself some glimmer of hope, or else why pay attention? But the reaction around here is so extreme sometimes that I end up falling on the just-as-extreme-super-positive side just because I still have fun watching them and I don't want to fire Cuonzo Martin yet.
Don't let them talk you out of being optimistic.
Nothing wrong with that.
Some of us sour pusses have just given up.

Don't let them talk you out of being optimistic.
Nothing wrong with that.
Some of us sour pusses have just given up.

I've said it before, the reason I post is because I care. And I'm all for good discussions on reasons why we stink as well as constructive discussion on getting better.

What I don't like are the flamers that when disagreed with fly into personal attacks and rants as if they have some air of authority.

VN Store

Back