Playing field leveled?

A lot of speed was due to scheme except with some linebackers. The difference from '11 to '12 and even NCst to Uf was immense. The absolutely worst defensive schemes I have ever witnessed at home. There will be massive improvement fast.

If and I mean if we can get a big name running back and rotate backs with our strong online we should be able to use ball control to make a game of it. Oregon's defensive roster is not the pinnacle by Ny means. Refer to Stanford Oregon 2012 for notes.

Reactions: 1 person
To answer the OP's question it's a big No. Their talent level is way off the charts compared with ours right now + that speed they have on offense will make your head spin trying to catch them for a tackle. Although I see us to get pounded, we do need the ball to bounce our way for a change in this game & for the season. Hopefully, with the start of a new coach & staff, the football curse will be lifted. But who knows? We might stay up with them for the first quarter to keep them under 28 points.

So they got slower from 11 to 12? Pretty much the same guys.

What are they feeding our boys?

This group has been slow from the beginning, but in 2011 they were coached a little better on alignment and being in better position. When you combine slow with poor alignment, then the result is giving up 50 to Troy.

Not so fast, my friend! The vols are gonna bring it to 'em! Just think about it, CBJ starts his tenure with a victory over the much heralded Ducks...I believe!:rock:

What r u smoking? Cause u r really high. I like the positive thinking but no way we r even in this game. Hope I'm wrong but I think they beat us by 20 or more.

Not even close to level playing field. Chip may have left the program, but the talent is there and the next coach will have a smooth transition. Our story is of Kiffin bailing and kicking the team when it was already down.

The last time they came to Knoxville, believe it or not with Dooley & Sims as his QB we were tied at the half. The second half of that game we may as well have stayed in the locker room, they couldn't have scored any more against us if we had.

Idiot
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Mr tough guy. Where do you find the courage to call people names from your key board. I was halfways being sarcastic. Just saying our defense can improve a lot and still not be where it needs to be. I guess that does make me an idiot

Mr tough guy. Where do you find the courage to call people names from your key board. I was halfways being sarcastic. Just saying our defense can improve a lot and still not be where it needs to be. I guess that does make me an idiot

If you knew what his big brother did to him in the bathroom before school this morning, you would understand.

Damn you!! I came in here thinking it was about how UT has changed their academic policies to put us on level playing field in recruiting again!!!! :banghead2:

This group has been slow from the beginning, but in 2011 they were coached a little better on alignment and being in better position. When you combine slow with poor alignment, then the result is giving up 50 to Troy.

Heh...I put more stock in the coaching.

Our defense is not filled with scrubs. You may not put much stock in em but the recruiting services ranked em pretty good too.

If we give up half the points we did last year i will call it another failure

If we gave up half the points we did last year, that would be roughly 18 pts. per game, which, based on 2012 NCAA defensive rankings, would put us roughly 13th in the country, just behind LSU and slightly ahead of South Carolina (see http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2012&rpt=IA_teamscordef&site=org&div=IA&dest=O). Even cutting our defensive yield to 20 pts. per game would put us very close to the top 20 in that category.

In 2011, we were 37th in scoring defense (23.2 pts. per game); an 18 ppg yield would have ranked us 7th nationally and 20 ppg would have ranked us 16th nationally (College Football Stats - College FB Team Opponent Points per Game on TeamRankings.com).

Last edited:
Kelly gone cant hurt our chances!
Wonder if Kelly is pulling a Pete Carroll and getting out before the NCAA comes in and lowers the boom on Oregon?

Are there rosters really THAT much better than ours? Comparing recruiting classes:
2010: UT #9 and Oregon #13
2011: UT #13 and Oregon #9
2012: UT #17 and Oregon #16

and so far this year UT #29 and Oregon #44

There's no reason to feel inferior!

Reactions: 4 people
Perhaps the appearance of relative equality in recruiting classes stems from the fact that they haven't exactly produced great defenses. They are, however, absolutely stacked with speedy skilled-position players.

You can't be serious... we are still going to get beat 20+ more than likely.

Are there rosters really THAT much better than ours? Comparing recruiting classes:

:)

THINGS TO DO:
1) get better coaching. Check
2) have less attrition with players
3) easier schedule ...well, can't do that...

At least we have corrected one of 2 things that we can control.

VN Store

Back