Muscadines and blackberries

Obsessed

Lab Rat
Wanting to add these to the garden area this year along with some fruit trees.

I grew up eating them off my granddad vines. Blackberries were as big as my thumb. Huge. No thorns

Best muscadine to grow?

Any of you guys growing these?
Best place to buy them to plant?

I grew up in Tennessee, born in Nashville, and didn't leave the state until after I graduated college, which was 5 years ago.

I had NEVER heard of a muscadine until 6 months ago a bus driver in Las Vegas gave me hell for not knowing what a muscadine was.

I grow Navajo blackberries. They are thornless and very good

I also grow Muscadines. Cowart is the variety I grow. Large bronze colored fruit

I grow Navajo blackberries. They are thornless and very good

I also grow Muscadines. Cowart is the variety I grow. Large bronze colored fruit

These are the berries I'm looking at as well. Ill check in to the muscadines and see how they will do in my area.

What's general time frame before you see fruit from these guys? 2 years ?

my dad grows both and makes preserves out of them. He just bought a new farm and already has the fruit trees/bushes started.

I'll ask if there's a certain type of muscadine he grows. He also has scuppernong so that could be an option

my dad grows both and makes preserves out of them. He just bought a new farm and already has the fruit trees/bushes started.

I'll ask if there's a certain type of muscadine he grows. He also has scuppernong so that could be an option

Thank you so much.

These are the berries I'm looking at as well. Ill check in to the muscadines and see how they will do in my area.

What's general time frame before you see fruit from these guys? 2 years ?

2 years you will see fruiting

Make sure to prune your muscadine in January or February. I just pruned mine back. They will produce better fruit. You want one main trunk and two off branches at the top. Looks like a Power T. Cut back every year

Blackberries you want to cut out the dead canes every year. You can dig up off shoots and replant. I usually take one cane that bends to the ground and bury it on the end, with the last few inches sticking out of the ground. I do this in the fall and leave them all winter. This will root and in the spring, you transplant it to get a new plant.

I actually had one of my muscadines root like this fall. I will dig it up and move it this spring

Last edited:

VN Store

Back