Huge snow may affect recruiting

It looks like we may be ok here by Friday afternoon but Virginia, North and possibly South Carolina may be in a world of hurt until at least Saturday. Hopefully this will not affect any of our weekend visitors but I just pulled the following post off a Pro Met board posted at 12:55 AM Thursday

just looked at the progression of RAP model through hour 18. We're looking down the barrel of a very special event here. Look for your local forecasters and NWS offices to react soon, with more vigor. This is almost an unprecedented event, but March 2009 is the lastest we can find , I'm sure there are others. The upper low is taking shape now in western Mississippi and will close almost to 3 contours by Atlanta, taking on negative tilt. At first, the heavy rains, but the 850s' really crash in Alabama and Georgia, and this will spell a world of hurt when the moisture totally wraps around the 5H low, not to mention the 7H low. and 850. The track will absolutely cream eastern TN at first then spill quickly into western NC mountains and foothills by dark. The track of the 5H is probably mishandled by all models, as I've been saying for days. On the northwest side, you're looking at some convection and serious rates of snowfall. This will probably eclipse the 2009 event in parts of western NC and VA because this airmass is actually juicier than that one. Look at the water potential maps on this one, unbelievable. Turn that into snowfall in western NC and VA, eastern TN, and northeast GA and I think we could be looking at a really unprecedented event. Same goes for everywhere northwest of the upper low in northern Alabama, northern to central GA and then a nearly stationary band for Upstate SC to western NC for a while. The RATE of snowfall will be extreme, I can't express that enough.

Thanks, Todd Howell.

Man I miss living in Tennessee, where there is a meltdown at the mere mention of snow.

i'm talking about the posters that swear no recruit would EVER consider going to any school up north compared to UT due to the weather difference.

I have not been up North too many times, but Knoxville weather is not bad at all. Gets a little chilly sometimes, we just had 70 degree weather on Saturday. Worst thing would probably be temperature changes.

I can count the amount of times snow has stuck to the road here on my hands the past 5 years. The freakouts are worse than the storms.

Just pulled his off my weather channel app. Think it will be fine by tomorrow afternoon.

Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 1PM EST THU until 9PM EST THU

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 9 PM EST THIS EVENING

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW

WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 9 PM EST THIS EVENING. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
TIMING

BRISK NORTHERLY WINDS WILL DEVELOP TODAY PULLING COLDER AIR INTO THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS. THE COLDER AIR WILL CHANGE THE RAIN TO SNOW

SOME HEAVY SNOW

THIS AFTERNOON. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO QUICKLY THIS EVENING.
IMPACTS

SNOWFALL WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS THIS AFTERNOON AND NIGHT. TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE 20S TONIGHT SO ANY WATER ON AREA ROADWAYS WILL BECOME ICE.
EVENT

RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW THIS AFTERNOON. PERIODS OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED WITH SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES POSSIBLE. LOCALLY HEAVIER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING

BUT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE LIGHT. DRIVING AND WALKING MAY BE DIFFICULT ON UNTREATED ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL

SLOW DOWN AND ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION.

Snow in January?!!! OMG!

1-3" that melts within a half day. C'mon, man!

Hey dumb ass maybe you should read the op again. I said we should be fine by Friday afternoon in Knoxville but North Carolina especially was going to be hit hard. When I started the thread I was not just thinking UT recruiting. This is UNC's biggest recruiting weekend of the year including hosting Quez.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
What about Chattanooga? It won't get me out of anything because I don't have Friday classes, but still curious

Hey dumb ass maybe you should read the op again. I said we should be fine by Friday afternoon in Knoxville but North Carolina especially was going to be hit hard. When I started the thread I was not just thinking UT recruiting. This is UNC's biggest recruiting weekend of the year including hosting Quez. If someone like Jaylen Miller (assuming he was still visiting) were planning on driving in it probably won't happen unless it's on Saturday. Just because Knoxville may not get hit doesn't mean it will not affect peoples travel plans.

Weather = serious business.

Reactions: 1 person
The day that hell froze over. The night before, Wade Houston's team miraculously beat KY at TB. Great game. It started snowing not too long after the game and didn't stop. I believe Wade may have sold his soul to the devil for that win, lol.

We lost to UK in the SEC Tourney on March 12th, 1993 which was the night of the blizzard of 93' unless I'm missing something skipping through these post. I believe the score was 101-40 UK.

Hey dumb ass maybe you should read the op again. I said we should be fine by Friday afternoon in Knoxville but North Carolina especially was going to be hit hard. When I started the thread I was not just thinking UT recruiting. This is UNC's biggest recruiting weekend of the year including hosting Quez.

This is funny. I can always count on VN for some laughs. I love this place. (Does that mean I love you people? Hmm.)

Reactions: 2 people

Mommy...Daddy....stop FIGHTING!!!

Reactions: 3 people

Wow! Those Powell folks take this weather cereal.

Wow! Those Powell folks take this weather cereal.

Well damn I get called out for giving a weather report. I have seen recruiting weekends completely blown up by snow. Doesn't look to be the case for us but I still think a couple of weekend visitors are going to have travel problems. Anyway I've had my coffee now so I'm good.

Sorry for the hostility

Well damn I get called out for giving a weather report. I have seen recruiting weekends completely blown up by snow. Doesn't look to be the case for us but I still think a couple of weekend visitors are going to have travel problems. Anyway I've had my coffee now so I'm good.

Sorry for the hostility

ELE......everbody love everbody......volnation motto

VN Store

Back