Was Manti Te'o in on it?

Did Manti know?

• Total voters
When the story first broke I just knew he was in on it. Then I watched the ND press conference and started to think well maybe he got Catfish'ed. The more I read and see about it I am starting to think he was in on it some how. I am intrested to see how this all plays out.

i kind of agree with him, what ever there is to this had absolutely nothing to do with "stealing" heisman votes from someone else or raising his draft stock, that's just rediculous

You don't think he got some sympathy and espn hype along the way for this bs? That could possibly sway voters and you know espn can raise or decline draft hype easily. He was a big name and playing for his dead love of his life was an attention grabbing story. Guarantee you that he got sympathy votes by some voters.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think it has to do with any of that either. I don't think this was devised 3 years ago with that in mind. I think it was either a joke that got way out of control or it was a cover for him being gay.

and ended up being cover up after cover up to cover the embarrassment of getting duped

the more I think about it the more I believe he was initially tricked. Once he found out the story was so widespread that he had no idea how to get out and just went along with it. Of course I do not completely dismiss the possibility that this was an elaborate hoax set up by MT and/or close friends so he could grab some spotlight

Sounds plausible

You don't think he got some sympathy and espn hype along the way for this bs? That could possibly sway voters and you know espn can raise or decline draft hype easily. He was a big name and playing for his dead love of his life was an attention grabbing story. Guarantee you that he got sympathy votes by some voters.

no i don't think so. anyone that takes anything espn says or hypes with any seriousness is just a sheep anyway. i am going to assume NFL scouts don't use espn talk to evaluate the players their looking at drafting and the voters don't base their votes on an espn story

Yeah, otherwise he could have just "broken up with her" and nobody would have ever questioned any of this. But that wouldn't have gotten him any sympathy.

I will now try and assume he is the first ever heterosexual, 22 yr old man, with a 3 yr girlfriend that was the love of his life that he never met, didn't go to see her while she had cancer, and didn't go to the funeral.
And I would like to find out who stayed on the phone moaning in pain for 8 hours at a time. Surely they have phone records. That person has some guts and stamina.

Reactions: 2 people
no i don't think so. anyone that takes anything espn says or hypes with any seriousness is just a sheep anyway. i am going to assume NFL scouts don't use espn talk to evaluate the players their looking at drafting and the voters don't base their votes on an espn story

Espn is the biggest hype machine in sports. Revert back to Charles Woodson if you don't think Espn can sway the pendulum. Has nothing to do with sheep. This wasn't about nfl scouts either.

Espn is the biggest hype machine in sports. Revert back to Charles Woodson if you don't think Espn can sway the pendulum. Has nothing to do with sheep. This wasn't about nfl scouts either.

they are the biggest hype machine, they are also full of the most amount of ****. the nfl scouts part was in reference to people claiming he did it to help or that it helped his draft stock

He's gay and was trying to hide it from a Catholic University. He went a bit too far with this one. :loco:

Last edited:
I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was duped, but it just doesn't look quite right. My biggest holdup is that the most likely operator of the fake Twitter account (Tuiasosopo) is a friend of Te'o. Of course we don't know the nature of their relationship, but it seems more like the actions of a 4chan native than a friend of his family.

the more I think about it the more I believe he was initially tricked. Once he found out the story was so widespread that he had no idea how to get out and just went along with it. Of course I do not completely dismiss the possibility that this was an elaborate hoax set up by MT and/or close friends so he could grab some spotlight
That's my theory as well. I'm not sure his intentions were that sinister. I just think he was embarrassed and took saving face too far. It's nearly implausible that he'd stay that duped for that long.

think of all the publicity he got! he stole heisman votes from other candidates! he used this falseness to raise his draft stock.

So, he knew back in 2010, when this internet relationship began, that he would use this his senior year (remember, he could have turned pro after his junior year and he would have been at least a 2nd round pick), coinciding with his grandmother's death, to boost his popularity, his draft stock, and his Heisman chances? Sounds likely.

You're an all american linebacker at one of the biggest football schools in america, and your girl is a girl you've never met. And its been going on for 3 years? She is on her death bed and you never once go to see her? Sorry but i don't buy it.

Why "kill her off" then?

It's one thing for a college student to carry on a long-distance, online only relationship. A first round draft pick with a 7 figure salary isn't going to be able to keep that story going.

He could say they broke up, but people will eventually wonder why he's never seen with any women. If she "dies", then people will chalk up his bachelorhood to mourning.

VN Store

Back