SI.com grades the coaching hires

Wisconsin's hiring of Gary Andersen from Utah State is not an A-. And there's no way Texas Tech hiring of a first year head coach is a better hire than CBJ. Not being bias,simply look at their track records.
You, sir, are using common sense to rate the TT hire. And, as you know, common sense is not common to everybody...or in this case to the SI writer.

What is annoying and particularly confusing about this article is that the writer does not explain his method or process for grading. A "B" would make sense for the Butch hire if he was grading on a scale of who was best choice for a particular program. In that case, Stoops for Kentucky was a better hire than Tennessee's. But...if he is grading on the Coaches experience, track record, and ability...then it is ridiculous to put Stoops (or even Malzahn!) above Butch Jones. This is just a guy "throwing stuff against the wall"...I mean, he even opens his argument by stating that he was mostly correct the last few seasons but it's getting more difficult to grade so he might be wrong. Um, ok. Stupid...moving on!

The grade must be on a curve.
No AD would have taken Mark Stoops over Butch Jones, but on a curve, I don't have a problem with someone saying KY did better at this point.
Not sure if UK tried to hire Jones or not? But, I am sure glad that they did not. A coach who has consistently won would have been a tremendous shot in the arm for that dump of a football program.

The grade must be on a curve.
No AD would have taken Mark Stoops over Butch Jones, but on a curve, I don't have a problem with someone saying KY did better at this point.
Jones was Kentucky's first choice and he would not even interview for the job...

What is annoying and particularly confusing about this article is that the writer does not explain his method or process for grading. A "B" would make sense for the Butch hire if he was grading on a scale of who was best choice for a particular program. In that case, Stoops for Kentucky was a better hire than Tennessee's. But...if he is grading on the Coaches experience, track record, and ability...then it is ridiculous to put Stoops (or even Malzahn!) above Butch Jones. This is just a guy "throwing stuff against the wall"...I mean, he even opens his argument by stating that he was mostly correct the last few seasons but it's getting more difficult to grade so he might be wrong. Um, ok. Stupid...moving on!

It's obvious you were thinking logically and the writer wasn't ! :yes: :hi:

So tell us how Butch with 4 conference titles should be ranked below a first time HC in Kingsbury that hasn't proven anything besides being a decent OC. Charlie Weiss is a hell of an OC but sucks as an HC.

Did you see my post about it being graded on a curve?
Basically, Tennessee is expected to do much better than Texas Tech. Straight up, Butch Jones is a better hire. But, the writer is saying that Texas Tech's hire was more impressive than our hire. If, say, USC would have hired Butch Jones this offseason, it probably would have been graded a C.

Wisconsin's hiring of Gary Andersen from Utah State is not an A-. And there's no way Texas Tech hiring of a first year head coach is a better hire than CBJ. Not being bias,simply look at their track records.

Agreed. Wisconsin hired him, because he was literally the only mid-major coach left who had a breakout season and hadn't already been hired by a bigger program.

Not sure if UK tried to hire Jones or not? But, I am sure glad that they did not. A coach who has consistently won would have been a tremendous shot in the arm for that dump of a football program.

You have to go back to the Bear Bryant era to find a KY team that finished on top of the SEC while not on probation. To them, Mark Stoops is a big hire who will get everyone excited.

I still say you guys made the absolute best hire in the SEC. As a Bama fan, I must say that I love the Malzahn hire. I didn't think their level of suck could go down, but it will. Take the guy that recruited the mess that Auburn just put on the field and put him in charge? Oh yeah, thanks for that. Butch Jones causes some concern for me and that is good for ya'll.

Reactions: 1 person
People forget that every article or news spot is ONLY 1 persons opinion.

Many times that 1 persons opinion really doesn't mean much at all in the long term.

After bUTch has 4 classes of his recruits on the field is when we'll really know what he can do in the SEC and not before then.

People always want to judge and form opinions far too soon in college football unfortunately and most people really don't know jack squat anyway.

VFL...GBO!!!

Who cares what some dope at SI thinks? Most of these "sports writers" know less than the average poster on VN!

Give em hell Butch

It would be awesome to line up these reporters and note their past "grades" and then lay out actual records from teams and coaches to see how wrong they are.

I still say you guys made the absolute best hire in the SEC. As a Bama fan, I must say that I love the Malzahn hire. I didn't think their level of suck could go down, but it will. Take the guy that recruited the mess that Auburn just put on the field and put him in charge? Oh yeah, thanks for that. Butch Jones causes some concern for me and that is good for ya'll.

Agree, Malzahn was a crapy hire and they dont have a scam newton on the roster to make them look good. Jones has been a winner as a hc before and is not as gimmicky as Gus. These bozos are just trying to get more people to read/talk about the magazine so they can sell more adds...they know nothing and soon, no one will even remember this article...cept VFLs!

That article is a load of crap! Malzahn and Kingsbury over Jones? Gimme a break. Doesn't take much to write sports articles these days does it?

Jones is one of the more successful and proven HCs that were hired this year, only Tubs and Bielema have had more on the big stage.

VN Store

Back