Derrick Brodus

I played ball with one of these kids that just signed. Kinda surprised really. He wasn't even among the ten best players on our single A high school team. Not knocking these guys at all, just really confused.

It wouldn't surprise me if Darr disappeared from the team between now and September. I never realized he was another gift from Kiffin but indirectly he was. Check the link to see how funny team recruiting rankings can be.

National Signing Day: Punter Matt Darr Decommits from USC, Off to Fresno State | Bleacher Report

Matt Darr's decommit yesterday dropped the Trojans from No. 14 to No. 21 on Scout.com's team rankings. Hell hath no fury like an ignored kicker during Signing Week.

Derrick is a good kid I coached him in soccer for a while. He deserves a scholly.

It's great that he is a good guy and all but that is not a good reason to give someone a scholarship. I'm hoping this means he has really improved from what we saw out of him last year. Not trying to knock your former player at all..just saying he did not appear worthy of a scholarship last year. Again, this may be a sign that he has really improved since then, and I really hope that is the case bc we really need a dependable kicker.

Anyone know how long he has been playing football? If he hasn't been playing long than I think it's a good sign that he has improved by simply having more time to learn the craft.

Last edited:
It's great that he is a good guy and all but that is not a good reason to give someone a scholarship. I'm hoping this means he has really improved from what we saw out of him last year. Not trying to knock your former player at all..just saying he did not appear worthy of a scholarship last year. Again, this may be a sign that he has really improved since then, and I really hope that is the case bc we really need a dependable kicker.

Anyone know how long he has been playing football? If he hasn't been playing long than I think it's a good sign that he has improved by simply having more time to learn the craft.

I played football with him in middle school and he played QB/K/P.....then he went to Alcoa high school and I'm pretty sure he was strictly a kicker....I think he didn't play as a freshman in HS though

I played football with him in middle school and he played QB/K/P.....then he went to Alcoa high school and I'm pretty sure he was strictly a kicker....I think he didn't play as a freshman in HS though

Dang, well there goes my theory/hope that he hadn't been playing very long. I don't know why but for some reason I thought I read on here that he didn't play in high school or had only played his senior year or something along those lines. Well here's to hoping he was still awarded the scholarship because improved a lot since last year. If not then I don't understand using up a scholarship on a player who has been underwhelming (to say the least) when given his chance to prove himself during games and who would have still played for the team without being awarded one. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I just wish that out of 4 schollys the coaches can get 1 player to hit 100% of extra points. Heck maybe even 10-12 from 40 yards in

Lemme say this: now that Brodus is on scholarship, he can practice with the team for the Spring game. That will give the staff the ability to figure out who of Darr, Palardy, Brodus, and Bullock they want to keep. Probably only two of those guys are going to have a scholarship in the Fall.

Lemme say this: now that Brodus is on scholarship, he can practice with the team for the Spring game. That will give the staff the ability to figure out who of Darr, Palardy, Brodus, and Bullock they want to keep. Probably only two of those guys are going to have a scholarship in the Fall.

Why would walk-ons not be able to practice with the team for the spring game? They are still part of the team. Is that some sort of NCAA rule or something? If so that's a completely BS rule IMO.

Why would walk-ons not be able to practice with the team for the spring game? They are still part of the team. Is that some sort of NCAA rule or something? If so that's a completely BS rule IMO.

There’s a limit on the number of players you can use for the spring game. And that number may be 85. I don’t have the rules in front of me for the 15 spring practices. You can only take 105 players to fall camp. Everybody has the same rules so it’s fair.

Dang, well there goes my theory/hope that he hadn't been playing very long. I don't know why but for some reason I thought I read on here that he didn't play in high school or had only played his senior year or something along those lines. Well here's to hoping he was still awarded the scholarship because improved a lot since last year. If not then I don't understand using up a scholarship on a player who has been underwhelming (to say the least) when given his chance to prove himself during games and who would have still played for the team without being awarded one. Just my two cents.

I think he will be fine once he gets ample opportunity.....he might've been nervous kicking in front of that many people.....time will tell I guess but I hope he pulls through for his sake and for the sake of needing a kicker........BAD

There’s a limit on the number of players you can use for the spring game. And that number may be 85. I don’t have the rules in front of me for the 15 spring practices. You can only take 105 players to fall camp. Everybody has the same rules so it’s fair.

Yeah I mean it's fair in that every team has to abide by the rule. But I just think it's BS in that it's not fair to the players who are not allowed to participate. Because the majority of them are probably already playing catch-up to the rest of the team (since they are walk-ons) in terms of their physical abilities and not being able to participate puts them even further behind since they will have less time to learn the schemes and be coached up (which is especially true during a coaching change).

I'm sure there is a good reason for the rule but like I said it just isn't fair to the players who can't participate. But you know what they say, "life's not fair."

Anyways, sorry to derail the thread.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back