A look Back On 2012 Recruiting Class

the CBJ has a ton of pressure this first recruiting class. Winning over the recruits, to win over the fans. The spring game roster will not likely reflect what we will see in the fall.

Wow, really? They're fans dude. Get a grip on yourself, Old Wise One.

I should have specified recruiting magazines and recruiting site subscriptions; mea culpa. The point still remains that these services have the entertainment, not the education, of the reader at their core; they use a limited rubric to perform a cursory evaluation and throw in some formulae based on recruiting schools' rankings. There's likely even some marketability consideration involved. Combine this with the overindulgence of a cross section of fans who require some external disassociated outlet to confirm their greatest hopes or worst fears, and you've got the makings of a really nasty neurosis playing out before us.

That's why I come here, actually. Not only do I love my Alma Mater and am proud to root for the Vols, but the people watching is better than anything on TV.

I should have specified recruiting magazines and recruiting site subscriptions; mea culpa. The point still remains that these services have the entertainment, not the education, of the reader at their core; they use a limited rubric to perform a cursory evaluation and throw in some formulae based on recruiting schools' rankings. There's likely even some marketability consideration involved. Combine this with the overindulgence of a cross section of fans who require some external disassociated outlet to confirm their greatest hopes or worst fears, and you've got the makings of a really nasty neurosis playing out before us.

That's why I come here, actually. Not only do I love my Alma Mater and am proud to root for the Vols, but the people watching is better than anything on TV.

Compare stars/recruting with championships. There is a method to the madness. Alabama will testify. I'm sure of it.

Compare stars/recruting with championships. There is a method to the madness. Alabama will testify. I'm sure of it.

If you offer Alabama as proof to your argument, then I must offer USC for mine. Coaching is the biggest reason for the performance of both teams; not rankings provided by an external system. If your thesis held true, then Texas, Auburn, and USC should also have seen significantly higher rankings through the season.

Last edited:
If you offer Alabama as proof to your argument, then I must offer USC for mine. Coaching is the biggest reason for the performance of both teams; not rankings provided by an external system. If your thesis held true, then Texas, Auburn, and USC should also have seen significantly higher rankings through the season.

Sir, you needs lots of 4 & 5 stars, and good coaching, to win championships.

I offered Alabama, and NOT Usc, for obvious reasons. Yes?

Sir, you needs lots of 4 & 5 stars who actually perform at the expected level, and good coaching, to win championships.

FYP.

How many potential 4 and 5 star players have been absolute busts? How many 3 star recruits have outperformed their recruiting rankings during the season and seen play time above their better marketed fellow athletes?

If these magazines and services offered a follow-up and actually compared rankings over time on a player-by-player and team-by-team basis, I might actually care for what they have to say. The fact that they leave these important metrics out tells me what they're about - subscriptions, sells, and site hits.

We're not going to come to a consensus on this topic, so I'll just bow out and leave it be. Sir.

If all the overhype of class rankings and star ranking BS actually meant so much on the field then there's zero doubt that Texas and USC should play and become much higher ranked teams at the end of the season considering they've been top ranked recruiter/ high star gatherers for many years but reality shows FAILURE on the field despite all the future stars they have all over their rosters.

I agree this is all more BS that's created for marketing to simply make them more $$$$$.

VFL...GBO!!!

FYP.

How many potential 4 and 5 star players have been absolute busts? How many 3 star recruits have outperformed their recruiting rankings during the season and seen play time above their better marketed fellow athletes?

If these magazines and services offered a follow-up and actually compared rankings over time on a player-by-player and team-by-team basis, I might actually care for what they have to say. The fact that they leave these important metrics out tells me what they're about - subscriptions, sells, and site hits.

We're not going to come to a consensus on this topic, so I'll just bow out and leave it be. Sir.

It's an argument that originated in 275BC. Gladiators were ranked by Espn and Rivals. Spiculus was a 5*, while Spartacus was a mere 3*.

We ALL know how that worked out.

*Both had REAL girlfriends. IMOJMOTIFWIWBBQsRKEWL

If all the overhype of class rankings and star ranking BS actually meant so much on the field then there's zero doubt that Texas and USC should play and become much higher ranked teams at the end of the season considering they've been top ranked recruiter/ high star gatherers for many years but reality shows FAILURE on the field despite all the future stars they have all over their rosters.

I agree this is all more BS that's created for marketing to simply make them more $$$$$.

VFL...GBO!!!

Provide a list of teams that win despite getting out recruited by the competition they play on a regular basis.

It's a short list. Boise state and virginia tech out recruit most of the competition they play regularly.

Wisconsin is about it. Oregon too.

Everyone else pulls in a top 2 or 3 class in their league on a regular basis

VN Store

Back