'13 SC DL Jaylen Miller (UT signee)

Just saw this on VQ. Excellent stuff. I think this is our next commit. Too bad VN is slacking and hasn't started a new thread since Quinn's commitment.

Yeah would be a great get if he does indeed commit after his visit. Tonight's recruiting notes on VQ were very positive.

From stuff from earlier in this thread:
- He is rated as a DE.
- He is, however, naturally a DT.
- Tennessee is getting ahead because they are willing to let him play that Heavy End position that Red Bryant, DE for the Seattle Seahawks plays.
- I think he would verbal to USC or Clemson the second they offer at DE. So there’s always the threat of the Santosing.

And in every interview he says he wants to play DE. Guessing instate schools said no thanks, we only want you as DT.

Just read the article on 247 on Miller. He said he "loves" Tennessee and wouldn't deny that he could possibly commit this weekend.

However, he did say he'd still visit Maryland and WF if he committed.

"My family and I are coming up on Friday for the visit," Miller said. "Coach Thigpen came by earlier this week and I have spoken with coach Jones on the phone. They seem excited to have me coming up there."

"I feel in love with Tennessee when I camped there the first time when I was in 9th grade," Miller offered. "I have just always felt comfortable there and have felt like it was the right place for me."

"The new staff actually offered back in December," Miller said. "Their move to a 4-3 defense opened up the opportunity for me. With the 3-4 scheme they had last year, they wanted taller, thicker defensive ends. Now they want defensive ends who are pass rushers and that style of play fits my game."

"I guess it's possible that I could commit," Miller said. "I have been really comfortable with Tennessee for a while. I have to be comfortable with the new staff which will be my focus this weekend and they have to be comfortable with me so we will see. I'm excited get up there."

-VQ

Reactions: 17 people
If this guy commits, does that mean our chances with Bellamy are slim?

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with Bellamy and that the staff would take both if Bellamy wanted to come as well.

If this guy commits, does that mean our chances with Bellamy are slim?

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with Bellamy and that the staff would take both if Bellamy wanted to come as well.

I don't have any insider knowledge on this but my guess, from reading the rumors and fabrications on this site, lead me to believe that UT would take both if given the opportunity. However, I think the chances of landing Bellamy are rather slim because, somehow, Sunseri has convinced him they're soulmates after Sunseri ignored him while here at UT. I think Miller would be a very good pick-up but it is somewhat concerning to me that neither USC or Clemson have offered. Regardless, if he signs here, I will be ecstatic and hope he is ready to knock some heads when we play USC, etc.

Does this kid have any grade issues? You'd think w/ that size & the stats he put up his Senior season he'd have a few more high profile schools really pushing for him.

If he signs w/ Tennessee & is eligible it will be a GREAT pick up.

I was told last year that he is one of the smartest guys on the team.

Reactions: 1 person
No clue why neither South Carolina or Clemson ever got involved with this guy. The question was asked to the SC 'insiders' quite a few times back in the summer and the answer (on the Carolina side) was simply that the coaches weren't interested and liked other players better. Never saw that elaborated. His film looks pretty good.

As for Shaq Davidson, supposedly SC leads at this point but he also likes UGA and UNC a lot. Based on what I've read, if he doesn't end up at SC, it'll be Georgia. Long, long way to go though.

This would be a great p/u. Voted 1st team (DL) All-State, terrific Sr yr stats (62 tackles/46 solo, 24.5 sacks, 3 FF, 1 FR) on a Gaffney team that is consistently a state powerhouse---#3 in 2012.
A 'tweener if his size is correct, may grow into a DT.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh man a DL that can't wait to commit it seems. Haven't seen that in a while. The last few years we were all wondering why we were having such a hard time just getting a DL to commit. Very refreshing. Staff doing some work!

Last edited:
It took 4 years, but the roster is finally built up so that players can see they have a chance at playing early, but not out of desperation. Lots of places they could start as a Sophomore, but really none they could as a Freshman. The only position that’s really screaming for players is at receiver, and, well, ....WRU. But it ain’t like you get there overnight.

No clue why neither South Carolina or Clemson ever got involved with this guy. The question was asked to the SC 'insiders' quite a few times back in the summer and the answer (on the Carolina side) was simply that the coaches weren't interested and liked other players better. Never saw that elaborated. His film looks pretty good.

A poster (from another site) who lives in the area and watches both Byrnes and Gaffney responded to a similar question stating, "...his play is inconsistent..." TIFWIW

I haven't seen enough film to judge but his Sr stats are solid.

A poster (from another site) who lives in the area and watches both Byrnes and Gaffney responded to a similar question stating, "...his play is inconsistent..." TIFWIW

I haven't seen enough film to judge but his Sr stats are solid.

Must've been a Byrnes fan... :eek:lol:

VN Store

Back