knowing what you do know now...

Pearl supporters seem to forget that when Tennessee made its Elite 8 run under Pearl, it was under a slow tempo offense. They didn't run teams out of the gym to do so. Cuonzo will be fine.

Pearl supporters seem to forget that when Tennessee made its Elite 8 run under Pearl, it was under a slow tempo offense. They didn't run teams out of the gym to do so. Cuonzo will be fine.

Maybe that's true. But Bruce's team came to play and won most games they were supposed to win.

Reactions: 2 people

Also the year he lost half his team to the mafia.

Maybe that's true. But Bruce's team came to play and won most games they were supposed to win.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. I think they did at the beginning of his tenure, but as it went on they became inconsistent in that department.

We played at KY's tempo last night which is about 70.4 posspg. Our normal tempo is about 64.4.
It did seem like we had a lot of TOs but only about 6 per half which is pretty good for this team. (13 ttl)
Perimeter defense is what killed us last night.
Wiltjer standing wide open on just about every shot he took. McBee on Mays didn't help either.

The first half TOs were bad, 2nd half was better. UK has one threat outside, and some how we continued to lose him.

You're a dumbass if you think that bringing in a style from another conference against 13 teams who are the same is gonna work. We are trying to play defense and run the clock down. That's working swell isn't it? That's like saying just because Oregon has won so much that if we hired chip Kelly he would have the same record at Tennessee.

To use a recent example (last 10 years), Bruce Pearl brought in a style from another conference against 11 other teams who did it differently and parlayed that into a #2 NCAA seed in his first season as head coach.

Going back a little further in history (last 25 years), Steve Spurrier brought in a style of football from another conference against 11 other teams who did it differently and built an SEC powerhouse football program.

This would be the antithesis to your theory that an unfamiliar system can't work amongst a group of teams that traditionally play a certain brand.

This. When we take the air out of the ball and drive scores into the 50s, we give a pseudo-appearance of a good defensive team. In reality, we are among the SEC's bottom third in defensive efficiency (points per possession).

Pushing the tempo seemed like a really good idea at a time when we thought we were a good defensive team. Seeing now over the last several games (Memphis, Ole Miss, and UK in particular), we just give the other team more possessions to score by pushing the tempo. As a result, those teams scored an average of 84 points on us shooting a combined 43.4% from the field.

Not signs of a good defensive team.

It was pointed out in a stat during a recent game that we are near the bottom of the conference in defensive efficiency - points per possession. To your point, we never were good defensively, we just limited the number of possessions to keep the score low. It was fools gold all along.

It was pointed out in a stat during a recent game that we are near the bottom of the conference in defensive efficiency - points per possession. To your point, we never were good defensively, we just limited the number of possessions to keep the score low. It was fools gold all along.

illusions

The first half TOs were bad, 2nd half was better. UK has one threat outside, and some how we continued to lose him.

And with the sloppy play, TO's, and defensive struggles to stay with the only shooter UK had on the floor, we still ate our first half time out.

Maybe cuonzo doesn't understand that he has a TO to burn in the first half. I wouldn't be surprised.

Fool's gold is right. Now, we are showing some signs of life offensively, but our defense is suffering as a result of more possessions for our opponents. I just don't see us finding an acceptable mixture of offense/defense this late into the season to change our fortunes. We have dug a deep hole and I don't see enough talent/coaching ability to pull us out of it.

Actually it's not. He's a terrible coach. Bruce or any competent coach would have beat KY last night. KY is down and with or without maymon we could have one. You guys who keep saying we would have won with Maymon are idiots. Blaming a loss bc we are missing a player is stupid especially when we lose to garbage teams. Why you guys think all coaches should be granted 4 years or more before you judge results are crazy. The writing is on the wall. Jarnel Stokes should be a beast right now. Instead he's soft. That's 100% coaching fellas. Please someone give me an educated answer as to why I could be wrong.

You have very resembling characteristics to an STD. As much as we try to get rid of you....you just keep on coming back frustrating us even more.

He's got dudes air mailing free throws.
Give him a couple years to get his recruits in here. He's a good coach or we wouldn't even be hanging around in the games.

Hmm...was this pulled from a Dooley thread 2 years ago?? Thats what everyone said about Dooley...it's Kiffin's recruits, blah blah blah.

Face it: CUONZO SUCKS! Never EVER should you digress in year 2, especially in a yr that the rest of the SEC is also down! Inexcusable! Gots to go ZO!

Pearl loved Tennessee he was orange all the way but its time to let him go, he is not coming back, support what we got, next year will show you what we really got.

This team needs a head coach not a sheep. Not getting a technical on the McBee foul when there was no foul called until AFTER a foul was called on a Ky player shows a strong lack of leadership in my opinion. This team plays soft because their head coach is SOFT. Recruiting isn't going to fix soft unless someone you bring in is tougher than the coach.

I was also disappointed at that juncture. I think that situation called for a lot more emotion and resistance. There are times when you need to get a technical foul.

VN Store

Back