2014 F Kevon Looney

I told him on twitter he reminded me of KD and he RT me a while back lol. He reminds me a lot of Durant, I just don't think he has his pure jumper yet.

No but KD didn't have that pure jumper at Texas either though, he's developed it over time.

We were one of the schools that stood out to him early correct? I think CCM constantly being at his games and keeping in contact will help him in the long run. It worked for Hubbs. Doing all the little things is what eventually got us Hubbs who is playing now like he will get serious consideration for McDonalds All-American. We have a year and a half to show the 2014 recruits that our offense fits them and CCM can get them to the next level.

We were one of the schools that stood out to him early correct? I think CCM constantly being at his games and keeping in contact will help him in the long run. It worked for Hubbs. Doing all the little things is what eventually got us Hubbs who is playing now like he will get serious consideration for McDonalds All-American. We have a year and a half to show the 2014 recruits that our offense fits them and CCM can get them to the next level.

Yes we've been on him awhile.

He has family in East Tennessee, knows Jeronne and came to Knoxville on an unofficial visit a few months back. I think we will probably be in this one until the end.

Reactions: 1 person
No but KD didn't have that pure jumper at Texas either though, he's developed it over time.

KD was actually a very good shooter in his one year at Texas, especially for a player his size. He shot 40% from 3-point range. I'd take that all day from any of our guards, let alone our post players.

We were one of the schools that stood out to him early correct? I think CCM constantly being at his games and keeping in contact will help him in the long run. It worked for Hubbs. Doing all the little things is what eventually got us Hubbs who is playing now like he will get serious consideration for McDonalds All-American. We have a year and a half to show the 2014 recruits that our offense fits them and CCM can get them to the next level.[/QUOTE

Trying to sell the offense to a recruit may not be a good idea. Lack of an offense would be a better selling point. Sign with the Vols and you could be the man from day one.

KD was actually a very good shooter in his one year at Texas, especially for a player his size. He shot 40% from 3-point range. I'd take that all day from any of our guards, let alone our post players.

He was good, but it didn't compare to his game now was my point. He didn't have that pure midrange game, or turnarounds he now does.

I'm betting looney is close to a 40% three point shooter as well.

Looney's game has evolved:

The evolution of Looney as a player and a prospect is one that continues to unfold. The 6-foot-8 (maybe pushing 6-foot-9?) junior forward at Milwaukee (Wis.) Hamilton broke onto the national hoops scene with the Milwaukee Running Rebels as a rising freshman. At the time, Looney was a skinny, wide-shouldered wing who loved to shoot deep jumpers and get on the glass and seemed like a natural small forward.

Kevon Looney has evolved physically and in his game.
As time has gone by, Looney has grown into those wide shoulders. As we watched the No. 7 player in the class of 2014 over the weekend, we could see that his game is developing as well.

The part of Looney's game that has remained consistent during his development is the high volume at which he rebounds the ball. He's not one of those guys who is some kind of stupendous athlete who leaps over or runs by everybody. No, Looney is a grinder with great hands and a natural instinct for being in the right place at the right time. He reads where the ball will go, understands where misses tend to fall and has excellent reactions to get to and corral rebounds. Those same instincts and patience have turned him into a very good shot blocker.

That ability to rebound affords him lots of chances for easy scores around the rim. A growth spurt that has allowed him to fill out his once skinny frame and get a little taller has turned him into a more reliable interior finisher and somebody who can play with a bit more physicality. Because of that, it's probably time that we start looking at Looney more as a power forward than as a small forward on the next level. He can handle the ball, has a jumper that has to be respected and is an excellent passer, which will allow him to face up and be more versatile as a four who can play inside and out than as a three who will shoot and slash from the perimeter.

I don't think you will know who are his favorites for a little while. He's quiet about recruiting and stuff. I think having Maymon here for another year will help. Being from the same state and what not. Having Hubbs come in should help also. I just hope our offense can show him that he will be used a lot when he comes in.

Read in Dave Teleps blog Coach K was in for an in home visit last week. Don't have the link, it's on espn.com.

VN Store

Back