SI.com grades the coaching hires

Shouldn't grades be handed out after we actually see what they can produce on the field?

I agree. I also believe in ranking recruiting classes after their freshman year for the same reason; a hire / class can look very different once there's a season behind them.

The problem is that presenting this material prior to a season moves a greater amount of copy and draws significantly more hits than trying to do it after the season when most people have figured things out for themselves. It preys on the two most vocal groups of inerudite fans: those who want someone - anyone - to confirm that they got a great hire or recruit so they can feel better about themselves and their team; and those who want someone to confirm their fear that the sky is falling, all hope is gone, and they should just burn down the stadium and go home forever.

Oh, for the days when I was content for someone to do my thinking for me. Articles like this might have actually made me a little bit upset or worried back then.

Last edited:
The grade could be argued, what what he said is true. "He'll need immediate success in the SEC East to win over a skeptical orange fan base." An A or B grade doesn't matter. Success in the next 3 seasons matter.

Reactions: 1 person
I see Butch Jones as a B+.

A+ would have been Patterson ,Peterson, or Stoops
A- would have been Fisher
B+ is Jones and Strong

Jmo

Why is so many people high on stoops, look at them now he won it with someones else players, look at them now they will be putting the heat on him in a year or 2 im glad we didnt get him, and all these polls is a bunch of bs lets see the product on the field, then in a year or 2 we can grade them.:)

I think Mandel rated the hiring of OBrien at PSU has a "C" while rating the Chryst hiring at Pitt as and "A" so that pretty much tells you what he knows about football and how we should not get so worked up over this guys rankings.

It's great that SI.com took the time to rate these coaches. It's also great to see Tennessee fans post their own rating. Myself, I guess I'm just not smart enough to figure out how you do it. It just amazes me that you can do that long before these coaches have coached their first game at said universities. Does anybody here know when the world is going to end? Seems like "they" keep missing that one. I was sure Dec. 21 was going to be the day but not so. If SI.com can rate these hires Im sure they know when the world will end.

I can see it. UK made a good hire for them, and Auburn got someone respected within the program with a solid SEC background. Arky got a flashy name that may or may not work out for them, but has some street cred. UT hired beneath expectations, given our tradition, facilities, fan/donor support and the undercoached talent to build on. Paying all that buyout money to fire Dooley set up expectations that UT would bring in a top hire who could kill it in recruiting and be competitive quickly. Then our Ego Munster of an AD bungles the coaching search in very public fashion and resorts to making a questionable hire to avert full panic mode. Jones may rise to the occasion, but he's a very average hire.

Reactions: 2 people
If I had any respect for SI left it is now gone. RIP Sports Illustrated.
PS those swimsuit issues were one of the best parts of my early adolescence.

Who cares about winning football games? Its all about winning SI articles and recruiting polls!!!!!!! They were also convinced Lane Kiffin was a better hire than Gene Chizik based on recruiting. Who wouldnt take one 9th ranked recruiting class over a NC trophy? I dont care if we ever win another game, ever!!!! As long as we win in recruiting, that way I can brag all summer without having to back it up on the field. REAL MEN WATCH RECRUITING!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingsbury has proven nothing as a HC and Malzahn with only one year under his belt was handed a previously well stocked ASU team (for ASU anyways) and got raped by Oregon. Neither has 4 conference championships as a CFB HC....total B frigging S!

As a side note, SI says this is the lowest ranked SEC hire.

The grade must be on a curve.
No AD would have taken Mark Stoops over Butch Jones, but on a curve, I don't have a problem with someone saying KY did better at this point.

B is about right

Agreed.
This was by no means a strike out, but it also isn't the type of hire that will inspire instant optimism for anyone, except for those who must always be optimistic about our football program and thus will find it in any hire (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Agreed.
This was by no means a strike out, but it also isn't the type of hire that will inspire instant optimism for anyone, except for those who must always be optimistic about our football program and thus will find it in any hire (not that there's anything wrong with that).

So tell us how Butch with 4 conference titles should be ranked below a first time HC in Kingsbury that hasn't proven anything besides being a decent OC. Charlie Weiss is a hell of an OC but sucks as an HC.

I can see it. UK made a good hire for them, and Auburn got someone respected within the program with a solid SEC background. Arky got a flashy name that may or may not work out for them, but has some street cred. UT hired beneath expectations, given our tradition, facilities, fan/donor support and the undercoached talent to build on. Paying all that buyout money to fire Dooley set up expectations that UT would bring in a top hire who could kill it in recruiting and be competitive quickly. Then our Ego Munster of an AD bungles the coaching search in very public fashion and resorts to making a questionable hire to avert full panic mode. Jones may rise to the occasion, but he's a very average hire.

This+++++++++++ is why he is the lowest grade. Everyone except the ad expected Tennessee to get a huge upgrade over dools. When this doesn't happen u get called out..

Also love how volnation calls the grading crap but if he was an A we would have 50 threads talking what a great hire etc..

Jones is going to be under pressure from day one. He needs to finish recruiting strong otherwise the fans base will just take another step closer to the ledge.

Reactions: 2 people
This+++++++++++ is why he is the lowest grade. Everyone except the ad expected Tennessee to get a huge upgrade over dools. When this doesn't happen u get called out..

Also love how volnation calls the grading crap but if he was an A we would have 50 threads talking what a great hire etc..

Jones is going to be under pressure from day one. He needs to finish recruiting strong otherwise the fans base will just take another step closer to the ledge.

Yeah, it would of been 50 threads and it still wouldn't mean anything. Haven't played the first game yet.

Wisconsin's hiring of Gary Andersen from Utah State is not an A-. And there's no way Texas Tech hiring of a first year head coach is a better hire than CBJ. Not being bias,simply look at their track records.

COMPLETE BS.... I completely disagree. Cal and Tennessee hires should be higher. Auburn's grade should definitely be lower - GM is going to prove to be a bad choice for Auburn, IMO.

I would agree about Malzahn but he put together a heckuva coaching staff imo so I think that elevates him some

VN Store

Back