Official Trip to Oregon for Duck Hunting Thread

TomahawkVol

How many of y'all plan to attend the Oregon game this year? I've got my vacation for that week put in! Can't wait!

My wife and I had planned to go when we found out Tenn would be playing out there. Talked about making it a week trip and take in some of the stuff to do, but now by the time the game comes around we will have another baby that will be two months old and I am not taking a baby that is two months old to a football game.

It is a great part of the country. I have been there on business. Nike is a few hours away

When this game was first announced years ago, I thought there was no way I was going to miss attending it. As the game gets closer though, I am just thinking there isn't any possible way for me to justify spending, at the bare minimum, $1000 to go watch a game that in all likelehood UT could lose by 50. There's not a lot of redeeming "vacation" value to Oregon in terms of places I would actually want to go aside from the game itself, and I already spend a lot of money going to all the games here in Knoxville. Barring a nice chunk of unexpected income in the next 9 months, I'll probably just sit this one out.

You're high, Oregon is awesome in September. I would tell you why but I mainly just wanted to call you high.

Reactions: 4 people
When this game was first announced years ago, I thought there was no way I was going to miss attending it. As the game gets closer though, I am just thinking there isn't any possible way for me to justify spending, at the bare minimum, $1000 to go watch a game that in all likelehood UT could lose by 50. There's not a lot of redeeming "vacation" value to Oregon in terms of places I would actually want to go aside from the game itself, and I already spend a lot of money going to all the games here in Knoxville. Barring a nice chunk of unexpected income in the next 9 months, I'll probably just sit this one out.

I would say a grand is bare bones minimum. I think about what I spend driving to Gainesville for a game and it's probably $1500 for 3 of us when you consider gas, hotels, restaurants, tickets, & tailgating. Add a flight, rental car, and it could easily be $1000 and that's not getting "too" crazy.

I'm like you, I would love to go but I don't have $1500 or so for the trip. $2-$2500 if the wife goes.

You're high, Oregon is awesome in September. I would tell you why but I mainly just wanted to call you high.

I'm not saying it's not nice, just saying that aside from attending a football game, I can't really imagine there would ever be another reason I would find myself in Oregon on vacation. There's a lot of other places I haven't been yet that are higher on the list.

I'm not saying it's not nice, just saying that aside from attending a football game, I can't really imagine there would ever be another reason I would find myself in Oregon on vacation. There's a lot of other places I haven't been yet that are higher on the list.

For Eugene, no, there's no real reason to go there other than for a football game. There's a lot to see on either side of it, tho.

Jax Vol and I went last year for the TTU game. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer questions or provide input, as well

I would say a grand is bare bones minimum. I think about what I spend driving to Gainesville for a game and it's probably $1500 for 3 of us when you consider gas, hotels, restaurants, tickets, & tailgating. Add a flight, rental car, and it could easily be $1000 and that's not getting "too" crazy.

I'm like you, I would love to go but I don't have $1500 or so for the trip. $2-$2500 if the wife goes.

Exactly. If I booked the flight today, that alone would be about $500. Add in a couple nights in a hotel, tickets, rental car/cab fares, and food and there's no way it can be done for much less than $1000 per person. Just not worth it IMO knowing that there's almost no chance UT can compete in this game.

Like I said, if there were some other places I really wanted to see out in Oregon, then I might could justify doing those and hitting the game as well, but that's simply not the case.

For Eugene, no, there's no real reason to go there other than for a football game. There's a lot to see on either side of it, tho.

Jax Vol and I went last year for the TTU game. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer questions or provide input, as well

Yes, I was there! Ask me any Lewis and Clark question. I am a steaming pile of knowledge....(or a steaming pile of something?)

MrRedskin assured those ducky fans that the Big Orange would be there to kick their arse in 2013!

Reactions: 1 person

The coast was awesome. We stopped in some really neat places and met a lot of interesting people. I have traveled a lot but never been any place quite like that.

Last edited:
Im sure 6 or 8k fans will travel they usually do in better times a lot more.

It will be interesting to see just how much orange shows up.

would be an awesome trip.....espically if we won, or at least it was close.

Fellow alum and I redeemed United miles to get there from TYS. There was limited availability so we spent most of the day in transit (TYS-ORD-SFO-EUG) and arrived late Thursday night.

Friday morning we drove out to Florence on the coast. 20 degree temperature difference. We were going to do a ride thru the Dunes but didn't dress appropriately and hadn't planned ahead. Instead we drove out to South Jetty County Park and walked out to the coast just for the hell of it. There's nothing really there except for fairly easy access (have to walk a little from end of road) to the Pacific and I wasn't going all the way out there without seeing it. We saw a seal swimming into the inlet so I guess that was cool.

Drove up to Yachats (pronounced "Yukus" or something over there) afterwards and that was a dam good drive. Great views the entire way. Ate at Luna Sea Fish House and had the best Fish and Chips ever. Small doesn't describe this place. Maybe 6-8 groups can fit in there and it's even cramped, then. If you get there around lunch then you'll probably be waiting an hour+. Oh, and temps around there were upper 40s. Eugene had hit 80 by this point. Fog rolled in after lunch so it wasn't as scenic on the return.

Drove back to Eugene and had already wasted a good part of the day. Went out that night to Taylor's next to campus and had a nice bit to drink.

Woke up at 6 next morning to crack the first beer and watch Gameday from Knox. Walked (stayed at Hilton) to the Cooler near Autzen and watched the rest of it from there and drank some more. Tailgated with some folk, watched Tech go up 7-0, then lose 7-whatever, and back to Cooler to watch UT-FL. Started getting a headache and lost all drinking motivation after watching 2nd half of UT game.

Flew to San Fran Sunday morning, went to Lions-9ers, then back home Monday.

I like how you've billed this as a "duck hunting trip." I certainly wouldn't want to go up there for football, either.

I was planning to go after the Oregon game in 2010. After recent developments, I can't justify dropping $1k-$2k on an Oregon trip for one pathetic excuse of a football game.

I really couldn't justify it to begin with, but my irrational love of all things UT football was going to override reason and common sense.

Im sure 6 or 8k fans will travel they usually do in better times a lot more.

It will be interesting to see just how much orange shows up.

I would doubt that. Autzen maxes around 60k. The only section that wasn't slammed was student section, and they weren't in school, yet. The inconvenience of getting to Eugene and staying there will deter a lot of folks.

Is there a strip of bars similar to Knox that all the students goto?

students won't be in, yet. apparently most schools on the left coast don't start classes until late September.

Immediately west of campus is a set of bars: Taylors, Rennies, few others. They get going around 11pm. Pegasus Pizza had a speakeasy kinda place downstairs.

There's also a block downtown a block or two from the Hilton called the "Bermuda Triangle" (near Olive and 8th) where it's just a ton of bars. We walked thru there Thursday night but all we saw were a lot of sketchy looking people that did not fit the typical college football fan persona. More of a rough/hippie vibe with weirdos in the street. We left pretty quickly. Dunno what it's like Fri and Sat night. Maybe better?

VN Store

Back