CBJ/UT recruiting is cover story on Yahoo NCAAF

I feel sure that the coaches are doing their very best to sign whoever helps make the team the best team possible. This is the best job, paying the most money, that most of them have ever had. Wouldn't you try your best to keep the best job you ever had? Some of you people need a reality check. Relax, and let this staff do their job. They will get the best players that they can get.

Get real Grad. The armchair and keyboard cowboys are the experts. :crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
K, so are we worried about good stars or good students? I can't keep up.

Neither.

Just looking for warm bodies to fill out the roster and keep 75,000 or so in the seats on Saturdays. Whether they actually excel in the class room is immaterial.

3* police checking in. Please land some 4* Mr.Butch Jones.

I think we would love to sign all 5 star players but because of recent events(like ummm 5 bad seasons)
we are not able to do that right now. I would rather have a 3 star player that Jones can help grow as a player rather than the 4 and 5 stars Lane Kiffin recruited here. Out of those 20 something players I think maybe 5 made it through their senior year.

Reactions: 3 people
I have a feeling that we are going to be disappointed with this signing class.

I don't think you can get disappointed when you finish where we have the last couple years. How do you honestly get "Foster, Lawson, Bell, North, Bryant,Herron, Green" When we hae finished behind Vandy in the East AGAIN. Jones will get us where we need to be, but ya can;t erase the facts over the last couple seasons WE SUCKED!!! Thanks to coaching

Let's face the sad reality. Whatever good recruits we get at this point are a bonus. With a horrible year on the field and a new coach, it will be tough to recruit. Once Butch gets a chance to show what he can do with the Vols (i.e., next year), I expect recruiting to really pick up. If we go out next year and win a few games we weren't supposed to, that will be a big boost for our recruiting.

I have very low expectations on what we can recruit this year. Hopefully Butch can pull a rabbit out of his hat and land some great kids!

I don't think you can get disappointed when you finish where we have the last couple years. How do you honestly get "Foster, Lawson, Bell, North, Bryant,Herron, Green" When we hae finished behind Vandy in the East AGAIN. Jones will get us where we need to be, but ya can;t erase the facts over the last couple seasons WE SUCKED!!! Thanks to coaching

Vonn Bell committed to Alabamer yesterday :( We will see though. No Link...yet.

Last edited:
well as of today we are 24th on rivals, not to bad considering 3 weeks ago we were close to being out of the top 50...adding a couple of 4 stars and hopefully a 5 will help give me that warm and fuzzy back about recruiting

Let's face the sad reality. Whatever good recruits we get at this point are a bonus. With a horrible year on the field and a new coach, it will be tough to recruit. Once Butch gets a chance to show what he can do with the Vols (i.e., next year), I expect recruiting to really pick up. If we go out next year and win a few games we weren't supposed to, that will be a big boost for our recruiting.

I have very low expectations on what we can recruit this year. Hopefully Butch can pull a rabbit out of his hat and land some great kids!

Well if Dooley can do it with Hunter, Rodgers and keeping Bray in his first month of being on the job. I think CBJ will surprise us...:)

Well if Dooley can do it with Hunter, Rodgers and keeping Bray in his first month of being on the job. I think CBJ will surprise us...:)

Dooley or not, Tennessee might have been a lot easier sell when it was just two years removed from the SEC Championship game and had just come off a winning season.

Dooley or not, Tennessee might have been a lot easier sell when it was just two years removed from the SEC Championship game and had just come off a winning season.

Dooley or not, Tennessee might be a loe easier sell when our facilities are new and CBJ can sell early playing time at the position of receiver this season and early playing time next season on the O line......

Not sure why people keep saying, "Butch will do his best." I don't think anybody is arguing that. Even Dooley did his best. Doesn't mean it's good enough though.

Also "fyp" means "fixed your post." He was messing with you.

Players that want to give all for the big orange is what I want ......q

I appreciate the sentiment, but I would have given my all for the Big Orange. However, despite my best intentions, I'm certain my all would not have been enough.

It probably safe to say that the student athletes of the University of Notre Dame certainly have their all for the Irish the other night.

Dooley or not, Tennessee might be a loe easier sell when our facilities are new and CBJ can sell early playing time at the position of receiver this season and early playing time next season on the O line......

A lot of bad teams could say that to good players. The facilities alone won't win over many players in this league. They are keeping pace with the big boys, but nothing else has. This is a pretty huge rebuilding job when you consider the competition.

A 2-18 combined record against Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Alabama since 2008 doesn't help. This school hasn't been truly competitive in a long time. Both of those wins were with Lane Kiffin as coach BTW. People can spin things positively all they want, but I want results. The rest is just fluff. I am sick of it.

Not sure why people keep saying, "Butch will do his best." I don't think anybody is arguing that. Even Dooley did his best. Doesn't mean it's good enough though.

Also "fyp" means "fixed your post." He was messing with you.
We have no way of knowing if Butch's best is good enough, so why worry about it? All that he can do is give it his best shot. I'm fine with that.

My deceased mother used to say....."All I ask is that you do your best. That's all the Good Lord asks, so I won't ask any more than that." I have always tried to do my best, no matter the task.

I have a feeling that we are going to be disappointed with this signing class.

Most on here are going to be disappointed no matter where we fall in the final recruiting rankings. bUTch Jones will do the best he can, and that should equal or better Dooley's efforts without a doubt.

When ranking players do the services (Scout,Rivals,etc) take anything into consideration other than athletic ability? I mean if a kid has no chance of getting into school would he be knocked down a star or 2?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

When ranking players do the services (Scout,Rivals,etc) take anything into consideration other than athletic ability? I mean if a kid has no chance of getting into school would he be knocked down a star or 2?

This...very few kids qualify/stars dont matter. If you take those kids out of their recruiting class things look very different. For example, what was our recruiting ranking the year we got Bryce Brown? Im sure it would have been much lower without him in it...all of them have to do more than get recruited.

I feel sure that the coaches are doing their very best to sign whoever helps make the team the best team possible. This is the best job, paying the most money, that most of them have ever had. Wouldn't you try your best to keep the best job you ever had? Some of you people need a reality check. Relax, and let this staff do their job. They will get the best players that they can get.

Can you show me where anyone questioned the coaches trying or not? I've not seen a single comment stating they're not trying. The question and a legit question is will they succeed in getting the quality players needed to compete at a very high level?

This...very few kids qualify/stars dont matter. If you take those kids out of their recruiting class things look very different. For example, what was our recruiting ranking the year we got Bryce Brown? Im sure it would have been much lower without him in it...all of them have to do more than get recruited.

Most schools spend very little time if any on kids that won't qualify.
And ask yourself this. A 5* , 4*, 3* and 2* at the same position. Which of these would CBJ go after first? Here's a hint they're in order of how he and his staff would recruit. The ranking system is right considerably more than it's wrong.

A lot of bad teams could say that to good players. The facilities alone won't win over many players in this league. They are keeping pace with the big boys, but nothing else has. This is a pretty huge rebuilding job when you consider the competition.

A 2-18 combined record against Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Alabama since 2008 doesn't help. This school hasn't been truly competitive in a long time. Both of those wins were with Lane Kiffin as coach BTW. People can spin things positively all they want, but I want results. The rest is just fluff. I am sick of it.

And Alabama was a combined 2-13 against LSU, Auburn and Tennessee when Saban was hired.

Though, as a counter point, Saban was a well-known and respected Head Coach that already had a Championship Ring... and that's a much bigger advantage than any facility upgrades or 4-year record could possibly be. CBJ is just a perceived up-and-comer. He's much higher thought of than Dooley was in 2010.

Last edited:
Most schools spend very little time if any on kids that won't qualify.
And ask yourself this. A 5* , 4*, 3* and 2* at the same position. Which of these would CBJ go after first? Here's a hint they're in order of how he and his staff would recruit. The ranking system is right considerably more than it's wrong.

I would rather have a coaching staff that scouted players that fit their system over a coaching staff that recruited well based only on what Scout/Rivals/247 said they were worth.

You're right, though. These * ratings systems are based on pretty solid metrics that show players statistically speaking fall within certain boundries concerning height/weight/speed/strength/athleticism given each position individually.

An interesting note: Harbaugh (49ers) put up every player's High School picture with their scouting ranking over their lockers this weekend. Out of the 49ers 4 starting LBs only 1 of them was ranked highly (Ahmad Brooks). Bowman, Smith and Willis were all unranked 3* prospects.

Edit for link: San Francisco 49ers come face to face with their younger selves - latimes.com

I would rather have a coaching staff that scouted players that fit their system over a coaching staff that recruited well based only on what Scout/Rivals/247 said they were worth.

You're right, though. These * ratings systems are based on pretty solid metrics that show players statistically speaking fall within certain boundries concerning height/weight/speed/strength/athleticism given each position individually.

An interesting note: Harbaugh (49ers) put up every player's High School picture with their scouting ranking over their lockers this weekend. Out of the 49ers 4 starting LBs only 1 of them was ranked highly (Ahmad Brooks). Bowman, Smith and Willis were all unranked 3* prospects.

Edit for link: San Francisco 49ers come face to face with their younger selves - latimes.com

When I said same position I assumed people would know I meant same style player ie. Pro style Qb etc.
And coaches evaluate players very similarly as the Scouts/Rivals of the world do.

VN Store

Back