2013 AL PG Travon Landry

I think he will prove a lot of people wrong. What are you realistically expecting out of him to prove you wrong? In really curious to hear everyone's expeditions. I just want a pg that can handle the ball without turning it over, a pg that passes the ball down low, and to open shooters, and to defend his position. And I think he can do all of that.

His shooting is abysmal last I checked. That's my main concern. People will just sag off him which limits his dribble penetration and ability to create for others. JMO

His shooting is abysmal last I checked. That's my main concern. People will just sag off him which limits his dribble penetration and ability to create for others. JMO

I finally was able to watch most of the ESPN game and, yes Landry handles the ball well. Didn't really see him under much pressure, but I suspect he'd do a lot better than our guys yesterday. Seems like a decent passer in that the ball was delivered crisply and I saw a few good bounce passes, but very few of his passes result in assists. I think that's because he basically brings the ball down, passes off to initiate the play, then settles into one of the corners to watch the other guys go for shots.

On defense, he did get down in his stance consistently and stay in front of his man, but I didn't see any steals or really much harassment. Of course, that's the way Cuonzo likes to play it, so he probably passes the grade there. Hit a layup, barely grazed iron on a 10-foot pullup, but that was what I expected from a guy hitting 21 pct from the field and 47 pct from the FT line. So you will not be able to put the ball in this guy's hands in the final minutes of a tight game. Just so happens that's the point in the game you are most likely to be pressed, so his value as a ball handler diminishes there.

I think you'll get a similar result from this guy as you get from Brandon Lopez, only Lopez probably is a better shooter. Is that worth a scholarship? Time will tell.

I finally was able to watch most of the ESPN game and, yes Landry handles the ball well. Didn't really see him under much pressure, but I suspect he'd do a lot better than our guys yesterday. Seems like a decent passer in that the ball was delivered crisply and I saw a few good bounce passes, but very few of his passes result in assists. I think that's because he basically brings the ball down, passes off to initiate the play, then settles into one of the corners to watch the other guys go for shots.

On defense, he did get down in his stance consistently and stay in front of his man, but I didn't see any steals or really much harassment. Of course, that's the way Cuonzo likes to play it, so he probably passes the grade there. Hit a layup, barely grazed iron on a 10-foot pullup, but that was what I expected from a guy hitting 21 pct from the field and 47 pct from the FT line. So you will not be able to put the ball in this guy's hands in the final minutes of a tight game. Just so happens that's the point in the game you are most likely to be pressed, so his value as a ball handler diminishes there.

I think you'll get a similar result from this guy as you get from Brandon Lopez, only Lopez probably is a better shooter. Is that worth a scholarship? Time will tell.

If they can turn landry into a 75-80% ft shooter, give him a floater, and a decent 15 footer he'll be more than adequate.

I have thought the same thing about Lopez and Landry though, very similar type of player. I think Lopez is a bit quicker though, and from what I've seen a better ball handier.

If they can turn landry into a 75-80% ft shooter, give him a floater, and a decent 15 footer he'll be more than adequate.

I have thought the same thing about Lopez and Landry though, very similar type of player. I think Lopez is a bit quicker though, and from what I've seen a better ball handier.
Showed a nice floater in one of the exhibition games earlier in season.

Free Throw % is the best way to judge a person's shooting ability. If a player is 47% from the line that tells me all I need to know. You can't have a primary ball-handler that shoots 47% from the line in the game in the last 2 minutes. That's a Shaq-esque percentage.

Free Throw % is the best way to judge a person's shooting ability. If a player is 47% from the line that tells me all I need to know. You can't have a primary ball-handler that shoots 47% from the line in the game in the last 2 minutes. That's a Shaq-esque percentage.

I really don't understand this recruit, surely there were better options out there.

He's a pure pg that everyone has been wanting. Freethrow shooting can be improved easily with a ton of practice.

He can make it up the court without losing the ball but he does not have good assist totals, his shooting% from the field and free throw lime is horrible. I don't think he is the kind of pure pg we need and I'm not so sure he will improve his free throw % enough. There had to be better options out there.

Junior point guard Woods at Meigs Couny would be a great pickup after next year. About 6'5" can handle the ball and shoot lights out. His team is terrible and he is double and triple teamed every night. Still puts up good numbers.

He's a pure pg that everyone has been wanting. Freethrow shooting can be improved easily with a ton of practice.

How come you hardly ever see that improvement from players then? 22% from the field in high school is quiet simply atrocious. 47% from the line is even worse. Add to that he is shooting 0% from 3. Do we need a true point guard? Absolutely but we also need one that opponents will guard. Teams won't guard that. They will sag off therefore negating his point guard skills.

That's not always true. On this team alone, dmontre Edwards shoots 57% from the line, but almost 40% from three.

Some guys just don't practice them enough. I'd be shocked if Landry was a 47% free throw shooter next year.

That's not always true. On this team alone, dmontre Edwards shoots 57% from the line, but almost 40% from three.

Some guys just don't practice them enough. I'd be shocked if Landry was a 47% free throw shooter next year.

Why would u be shocked? He has not proven he can shoot good from any where yet.

Why would u be shocked? He has not proven he can shoot good from any where yet.

How many sub 50% free throw shooters do we have? I have trouble thinking the staff hasnt already addressed this with him.

Do you have his total numbers, I mean maybe he hasn't shot that many FTs.

Like I said I highly doubt he's sub 50% next year, we'll see.

How many sub 50% free throw shooters do we have? I have trouble thinking the staff hasnt already addressed this with him.

Do you have his total numbers, I mean maybe he hasn't shot that many FTs.

Like I said I highly doubt he's sub 50% next year, we'll see.

I hope you are right but I have never seen a division one prospect with a stat line as bad as his.

I hope you are right but I have never seen a division one prospect with a stat line as bad as his.

Derek Reese's wasn't too impressive. Hell he's putting up almost better numbers in the SEC than he did in HS.

I'm in no way saying he's gonna be all-sec, my point simply is this. Reese was a guy who many said would never play (me included) yet his freshman year hell likely average 20mpg and 8ppg, not bad. Travon Landry had offers from Vanderbilt and about to be Alabama, those schools typically have good guard play, so clearly CCM wasn't the only coach who saw something. Marshall Henderson's best offer out of HS was Utah, and he was a lowly ranked 3*...now he's the SECs leading scorer.

I'm willing to see what happens on the court before writing the kid off, that's all.

Reactions: 1 person
Most HS players aren't playing the talent he is either.

The level of talent cuts several different ways.

Yes, it could suppress his PPG. No surprise there.

No, it shouldn't have any effect on shooting pcts, especially at the FT line.

On the positive side, a PG who could draw and dish should be putting up assists by the boatload. He should be averaging 7-8 apg and have some nights when he gets in double figures. Right now Landry is averaging 2.6 apg. This is where the shooting pcts really hurt. In order to draw and dish, you have to be able to draw. If you aren't credible scoring threat, you don't draw. Landry's role is limited to bringing the ball down the court, making the first pass, then retreating to the corner to watch the rest of the guys play offense.

And, it doesn't have anything to do with the team's style. Xavier Rathan-Mayes, a 2G, is a credible threat to score. He's parlayed that into nearly 7 apg this year.

And that's a reasonable stance, BGV, see what he does on the floor.

As for Reese, you're right, he's right on his H.S. numbers - 29 pct 3s, 36 pct overall in high school 9 ppg. 29 pct 3s, 32 pct overall and 8 ppg at U.T. Would never have thought that.

As aggressive (cough, cough) as Reese is in looking for his shot at Tennessee, I'm baffled that he didn't shoot enough to at least get double figures in high school. Here, he's ready to pull the trigger the second the ball touches his hands. As some other folks have commented, he's gone beyond aggressive to near reckless in launching shots. At least he isn't afraid, though.

As for Marshall Henderson, he averaged 27 ppg, 6 apg and 6 rpg in his senior season and had games of 50 and 42. So, let's not go too far in comparing our guy to him.:)

Derek Reese's wasn't too impressive. Hell he's putting up almost better numbers in the SEC than he did in HS.

I'm in no way saying he's gonna be all-sec, my point simply is this. Reese was a guy who many said would never play (me included) yet his freshman year hell likely average 20mpg and 8ppg, not bad. Travon Landry had offers from Vanderbilt and about to be Alabama, those schools typically have good guard play, so clearly CCM wasn't the only coach who saw something. Marshall Henderson's best offer out of HS was Utah, and he was a lowly ranked 3*...now he's the SECs leading scorer.

I'm willing to see what happens on the court before writing the kid off, that's all.

Woods at Meigs County can outplay those guys. AAU game of 57 this summer. Many games in the 40's this season, on a terrible, terrible team.

I think the kid loves UT or I'd be rooting for Bama to get him.

VN Store

Back