It appears CBJ knows quite a bit more about recruiting than Doolittle.

Dooley was still landing top 20 classes. I admit that Dooley is not as good of a recruiter is CBJ. If Dooley was able to land top 20 classes I am excited to see what CBJ can land.

I truly hope you are right. But Dooley closed the deal in impressive fashion with a partial staff and 2 1/2 weeks to work with in '10. About half of that class rated 4/5*.

Jones has a long way to catch up with that result. You could argue that Jones inherits a "mess" from Dooley since the "hot seat" situation kept players away. But you cannot ignore the fact that Dooley also inherited a mess with Kiffin's sudden departure.

I'm not going to be all that hard to please with this class. I think they "need" one or two great players each at LB and DE. I think they "need" an OL that can be ready to play in '14... or two. I think whatever gaps there are elsewhere can be filled next year.

Keeping Carr and getting another DE is vital. I am just not sure what to think of the current or potential LB's. It looks like a weakness that is not going to get resolved this year either from the current players or recruits.

I'm with the doubters on this and I'm the most optimistic poster in VN history. I love the image that CBJ is projecting and love the positive vibes that are streaming across the twittersphere, but we don't have any true results yet.

NSD will be key for me as will the first couple of games. If this staff can coach up some of our more talented players to be in the right place at the right time then I think our future will be bright. If they don't have to figure out who should be in the box and who should be on the sideline after the first game, then I'll be more convinced. If they don't have to rehearse getting on and off the bus this year, I'll be ecstatic.

They are/were recruiting different types of players. There are players CBJ won't pursue that the last staff was though you wouldn't expect them to succeed due to results.

The big ones ones that I see (Green, Lawson, North, Bell) have been recruited by both staffs. I'd be happy/impressed if CBJ's staff pulls two of four.

I truly hope you are right. But Dooley closed the deal in impressive fashion with a partial staff and 2 1/2 weeks to work with in '10. About half of that class rated 4/5*.

Jones has a long way to catch up with that result. You could argue that Jones inherits a "mess" from Dooley since the "hot seat" situation kept players away. But you cannot ignore the fact that Dooley also inherited a mess with Kiffin's sudden departure.

I'm not going to be all that hard to please with this class. I think they "need" one or two great players each at LB and DE. I think they "need" an OL that can be ready to play in '14... or two. I think whatever gaps there are elsewhere can be filled next year.

Keeping Carr and getting another DE is vital. I am just not sure what to think of the current or potential LB's. It looks like a weakness that is not going to get resolved this year either from the current players or recruits.

They need a couple of JUCO WR's that can step in and pay some immediate dividends as well as what you posted IMO.

I think we as fans have gotten too much into the mindset of completely bailing on the upcoming season after a coaching change.

Building depth at OL for 2014 is important, but I want Jones looking to do what he can for the upcoming season as well.

Our LB's aren't very dynamic by SEC standards, even Johnson. Solid players but every great team needs someone who can pressure the QB from the edge and create general havoc. That isn't on the roster currently.

Since when did being better than Dooley make you the best coach ever? For crying out loud, can we at least wait and see him do anything before we declare him the greatest being to ever grace football (or a failure for that matter)?

I have no doubt Jones is better than what we previously had. The question is how much better, and can he bring us national championships. The jury hasn't even started and people act like we have a definitive verdict. So much blind faith.

Reactions: 1 person
The big ones ones that I see (Green, Lawson, North, Bell) have been recruited by both staffs. I'd be happy/impressed if CBJ's staff pulls two of four.

If DD had somehow hung on then I do not think he would have had much success this year. His future would have remained in question.

I know the others are great players and I would be excited to have them... but Lawson is the only one that answers on of the most pressing needs.

They need a couple of JUCO WR's that can step in and pay some immediate dividends as well as what you posted IMO.
I think the current hold overs plus any contribution they can get from the Fr will be fine. Certainly not the level of need as other positions.

I think we as fans have gotten too much into the mindset of completely bailing on the upcoming season after a coaching change.

Building depth at OL for 2014 is important, but I want Jones looking to do what he can for the upcoming season as well.

Our LB's aren't very dynamic by SEC standards, even Johnson. Solid players but every great team needs someone who can pressure the QB from the edge and create general havoc. That isn't on the roster currently.
I think there are some guys with that potential. Maggett may play with his hand on the ground. Hopefully J Smith finally blossoms into the player we'd hoped for. J Willimas is really just coming into his own... he could be very good. I think Sal's scheme and coaching obscured the talent UT has on D.

FTR, there are no throw away seasons. I always want UT to win every game. I have high expectations for this year too... if Jones can coach. No one has any better OL. He has two legit returnees at QB. He has no experience but does have talent at WR and Slot. He has two RB's that can get the job done if they have holes to run through.

D is a big question IMO because we really don't know how good/bad it is talent wise. Last year's D was worse than the year prior with basically the same or better players... just younger.

Since when did being better than Dooley make you the best coach ever? For crying out loud, can we at least wait and see him do anything before we declare him the greatest being to ever grace football (or a failure for that matter)?
Exaggerate much? I am definitely in "wait and see"... but I haven't seen anyone say Jones was the best coach ever.

I have no doubt Jones is better than what we previously had.
Really? I hope he is but DO have doubts. There is ALWAYS reason to doubt when a new coach takes over a new program and especially in the SEC.
The question is how much better, and can he bring us national championships. The jury hasn't even started and people act like we have a definitive verdict. So much blind faith.

And if you just watch... you'll see the opposite as well.

I think the current hold overs plus any contribution they can get from the Fr will be fine. Certainly not the level of need as other positions.

I think there are some guys with that potential. Maggett may play with his hand on the ground. Hopefully J Smith finally blossoms into the player we'd hoped for. J Willimas is really just coming into his own... he could be very good. I think Sal's scheme and coaching obscured the talent UT has on D.

FTR, there are no throw away seasons. I always want UT to win every game. I have high expectations for this year too... if Jones can coach. No one has any better OL. He has two legit returnees at QB. He has no experience but does have talent at WR and Slot. He has two RB's that can get the job done if they have holes to run through.

D is a big question IMO because we really don't know how good/bad it is talent wise. Last year's D was worse than the year prior with basically the same or better players... just younger.

Hope you are right on all counts.

I just see a lot of production heading out the door in the receiving corp and very limited proven talent behind it.

WR is not at the top of the needs list for sure but one dynamic play maker like a Patterson can make a world of difference and help mask some deficiencies of a new starting QB.

I think it's too late to expect much from Smith at this point. If it hasn't clicked by now, I doubt it happens unless he has an Ayers-like epiphany. Maggitt would probably be better served with with his hand on the ground.

Hope you are right on all counts.

I just see a lot of production heading out the door in the receiving corp and very limited proven talent behind it.
Very little talent? Croom, Bowles, Pig, and Vincent have ample talent to play in the SEC. I won't be surprised to see DY get time out wide in an effort to get him one on one in space. Everything is a need... but not allowing 36 ppg again is the biggest priority.

WR is not at the top of the needs list for sure but one dynamic play maker like a Patterson can make a world of difference and help mask some deficiencies of a new starting QB.
Patterson is an anomaly... and he was not a good WR just an extraordinary athlete.

UT is 99% certain NOT to find anyone from the JUCO ranks that makes that kind of contribution. If you can't then it is much better to go after HS players. They will give you more time AND can probably contribute just as quickly.

I think it's too late to expect much from Smith at this point. If it hasn't clicked by now, I doubt it happens unless he has an Ayers-like epiphany. Maggitt would probably be better served with with his hand on the ground.

Smith like several of the players has been yanked around by the coaching changes. IMO he was a much better player as a DE even though a little undersized. If he can carry some weight then he could emerge.

Like so many things with the program right now, it flat out comes down to coaching with J Smith. I think he was better as a Fr than either of the past two years. Monte put him in a position to succeed. I think Wilcox did so much more than Sal. We'll see what these guys do with/for him.

You mad Ee-ore?
Dude...you are just like all the other yahoos that were crowning Sal Sunseri as the savior of the program....gonna instill some toughness and discipline, blah. blah. blah-blah blah! Leave the serenading and azz-kissing until they've proven something.

All you Sunshine Pumpers were calling Sal a badazz before the season...looks like you puckered up a bit too soon. :eek:lol: Ain't nuttin wrong with taking a "wait and see" approach.

Reactions: 1 person
I like the way that Butch jones has reached out to former Vols...this function is forging great relationships…also hiring Terry Fair helps…Terry Fair trained Todd Kelly, Jr...Butch Jones' 2014 recruiting class will be outstanding...the year of the Legacy...Kelly Jr, Dillon Bates, the Berry Twins, and Neiko Creamer...sit back and enjoy the ride...GBO!

I am not really sure if it's really recruiting skills; i think coach jone's winning record speaks loud and clear compared to Dooley's sales pitch.

VN Store

Back