Kevin O'Neill Fired

I don't agree with this. I don't particular like the guy but Tennessee and a ton of other teams would have a worse / similar record than that playing the schedule they have.

The only really bad loss came from UC Irvine....6 of those 10 came from Illinois, Marquette, New Mexico, Minnesota, SDSU, Georgia, Cal, Colorado (Who took ASU to OT, handled Baylor and Murray State). Had decent wins over Texas, Stanford (who's down) and Dayton (who's down). Still....I'd at least seen what they did against Oregon.

It was an issue of timing.

They were trending up throughout the season. Definitely getting better. If Jio Fontan had played up to his billing this year they might have been good enough to keep ONeill around. But this is probably the best season to make a change. If you wait until next year it would be especially hard on a new coach. At least the new coach will inherit a couple players that he can work with next year.

It was an issue of timing.

They were trending up throughout the season. Definitely getting better. If Jio Fontan had played up to his billing this year they might have been good enough to keep ONeill around. But this is probably the best season to make a change. If you wait until next year it would be especially hard on a new coach. At least the new coach will inherit a couple players that he can work with next year.

I agree!

He must of got caught trying to play a 1-3-1 zone on Layla

USC has fired men's basketball coach Kevin O'Neill, the school announced on its website Monday.

Longtime USC assistant coach Bob Cantu will serve as interim head coach while a search for O'Neill's successor is conducted.

"I would like to thank Kevin O'Neill for his four years of service to USC," Athletic Director Pat Haden said. "He took over a program under difficult circumstances because of our NCAA issues and, despite that, he was able to do some good things.

"It was hard for me to evaluate him as a head coach until this year when he had enough players and veterans to compete. As the season progressed, it became evident to me that we needed new leadership in our men's basketball program. Despite a nice road win in our last game, I felt it was best to make a change now, with most of the Pac-12 season still ahead of us, in order to re-energize our team.

"I feel confident that Bob Cantu will capably guide our team on an interim basis while we search for a new coach."

O'Neill was in his fourth year at USC and had a 48-65 overall record, including 7-10 this season.

"I enjoyed my four years at USC," O'Neill said. "It is a special place. I enjoyed the people I worked with, the players I coached and our fans. I thank USC for allowing me to guide their program. I couldn't be more proud to work anywhere.

"I would encourage all of our recruits to honor their commitment to USC and help build the Trojan program in the right direction."

Most O'verrated coach I've ever seen at any level at any sport.

Another one of Doug Dickey's gems of a hire. Dickey didn't have a clue about almost any sport other than football. Mike Hamilton learned his craft well, picking up where Dickey left off, as far as poor hires go.

Where are all those O'Neil slurpers now? I know Hat isn't here anymore, but who else was on the O'Neil meat train?

They had to fire him now. He probably would have had a decent conference record. At least good enough to warrant another year.

I don't agree with this. I don't particular like the guy but Tennessee and a ton of other teams would have a worse / similar record than that playing the schedule they have.

The only really bad loss came from UC Irvine....6 of those 10 came from Illinois, Marquette, New Mexico, Minnesota, SDSU, Georgia, Cal, Colorado (Who took ASU to OT, handled Baylor and Murray State). Had decent wins over Texas, Stanford (who's down) and Dayton (who's down). Still....I'd at least seen what they did against Oregon.

You don't agree? O'Neill has a lifetime 216-241 record. So, his track record is pretty dismal, pretty poor coach really. For one thing, Haden is probably sending a subtle (or maybe not so subtle) message to Lane Kiffin concerning next season, and as aloof as Kiffin is, he probably has taken notice.

VN Store

Back