The Alabama Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Turnovers and free throws cost UT this game. If UT goes 12-16 from the line, they win.

2. I want a proper explanation why Jarnell didn't play for the last seven minutes in the second half. Because honestly, I can't find one.

3. Armani Moore needs to play. He brings energy on offense and attacks the basket. His D is suspect, but you saw him make two big hustle plays at the end.

4. Bernard King Player of the Game: Jordan McRae was the only player to score in double digits, and had the unfair task having to play point guard and did admirably till the last three minutes, where the coaching failed him in not preparing for it.

5. If Tennessee wants to make the tourney, Cuonzo better figure out what the hell to do on about the point guard position because it's costing them, just like last year.

6. Again, those three turnovers are on Martin. You can't just say "go dribble" and expect good results, especially with this team.

7. Skylar McBee should not play. Anymore. Any more playing time for him is a mark against Cuonzo, especially with better players in Moore, Reese, and Lopez. How the hell does McBee get 17 minutes while Lopez sits on the bench? I don't care about practice, let's go off 50 games worth of evidence here.

8. The defense was much better today actually. Alabama only shot 42.5% from the field, and only shot 19 free throws. But I wish UT was more aggressive on defense to get turnovers. Look at that run Bama had.

9. I don't know why Martin doesn't realize when he has an advantage in the post, but Bama couldn't stop Stokes or Hall inside. Stokes' presence alone opens up the floor and driving lanes. I know he didn't shoot the ball well, but Bama was so worried about him UT got open looks.

10. This isn't a tourney team. They don't do the little things well enough (like they did last year) to win close games. They had a grand opportunity for them, and they let it go because of two things that continues to haunt them: Free Throws and Turnovers. That's inexcusable. It's been an issue since November 9th. We are two months in the season and they haven't been corrected. That's on Cuonzo. It's weak. They are going to start off the SEC year 0-3, and if they don't get together won't win 10 games in the SEC.

Reactions: 3 people
1. Turnovers and free throws cost UT this game. If UT goes 12-16 from the line, they win.

2. I want a proper explanation why Jarnell didn't play for the last seven minutes in the second half. Because honestly, I can't find one.

3. Armani Moore needs to play. He brings energy on offense and attacks the basket. His D is suspect, but you saw him make two big hustle plays at the end.

4. Bernard King Player of the Game: Jordan McRae was the only player to score in double digits, and had the unfair task having to play point guard and did admirably till the last three minutes, where the coaching failed him in not preparing for it.

5. If Tennessee wants to make the tourney, Cuonzo better figure out what the hell to do on about the point guard position because it's costing them, just like last year.

6. Again, those three turnovers are on Martin. You can't just say "go dribble" and expect good results, especially with this team.

7. Skylar McBee should not play. Anymore. Any more playing time for him is a mark against Cuonzo, especially with better players in Moore, Reese, and Lopez. How the hell does McBee get 17 minutes while Lopez sits on the bench? I don't care about practice, let's go off 50 games worth of evidence here.

8. The defense was much better today actually. Alabama only shot 42.5% from the field, and only shot 19 free throws. But I wish UT was more aggressive on defense to get turnovers. Look at that run Bama had.

9. I don't know why Martin doesn't realize when he has an advantage in the post, but Bama couldn't stop Stokes or Hall inside. Stokes' presence alone opens up the floor and driving lanes. I know he didn't shoot the ball well, but Bama was so worried about him UT got open looks.

10. This isn't a tourney team. They don't do the little things well enough (like they did last year) to win close games. They had a grand opportunity for them, and they let it go because of two things that continues to haunt them: Free Throws and Turnovers. That's inexcusable. It's been an issue since November 9th. We are two months in the season and they haven't been corrected. That's on Cuonzo. It's weak. They are going to start off the SEC year 0-3, and if they don't get together won't win 10 games in the SEC.

Agreed on all counts. I like Cuonzo but I'm losing confidence in his ability to coach offense.

Agreed on all counts. I like Cuonzo but I'm losing confidence in his ability to coach offense.

Robert Hubbs better be the real deal, and Jeronne Maymon better be 1,000% healthy next year.

That's all I'm going to say. He was dealt a tough blow with the Maymon injury. But it's time to get over that and coach the offense.

Reactions: 1 person
Clearly, Cuonzo simply does not have a clue on how to fix what ails this team. Like Derek Dooley, I think he needed at least a few years more seasoning in the lower leagues before jumping head-first into the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
#2.

I really thought he would return after 4 minute timeout, not sure what was up??!

And it's not FT IMO, because I don't see Bama going hack a stokes with the lead.

This basketball team will be fighting to be above the football team. Poor plaing by the players and poor coaching from the coaches!

Robert Hubbs better be the real deal, and Jeronne Maymon better be 1,000% healthy next year.

That's all I'm going to say. He was dealt a tough blow with the Maymon injury. But it's time to get over that and coach the offense.

Coming over to the darkside I see.

Coming over to the darkside I see.

As always, I will wait till the end of the season to make a judgment. They shocked everyone last year. They might be able to do it again, just because the SEC sucks so bad.

As long as he finished over .500 this year, he deserves a third year.

Hall can knock down his free throws and plays more athletic than Stokes. However CCM is severely under utilizing Stokes

I see exactly austin nichol's father was talking about when he was questioning CCM style. Seems to know exactly what he was talking about

As always, I will wait till the end of the season to make a judgment. They shocked everyone last year. They might be able to do it again, just because the SEC sucks so bad.

As long as he finished over .500 this year, he deserves a third year.

What would make me happier than winning against Kentucky, is for Martin to show some fire and get after one of his players or a referee.

My how quickly expectations and things change.

I always give coaches, in any sport, three years to implement their style.

Barring any unforeseen disaster, CCM will get a third year and should.

I have no complaints about this loss except that we lost.
Played all 40 but had a lapse beginning of 2nd half where we were out of control.
Those turnovers and a few missed FTs were the difference.
Best offensive effort on the road so far.

Played all 40 but had a lapse beginning of 2nd half where we were out of control.

Other than the TO's, the offense did fine. They shot 47%. Maybe I'm letting the frustration of the season hinder my ability to judge this game.

However, it's ridiculous we can't do the little things.

Alabama is a bad basketball team.

Reactions: 3 people
What would make me happier than winning against Kentucky, is for Martin to show some fire and get after one of his players or a referee.

He did today. I am not defending some coaching strategies but he was much more emotional today. Got in a ref's ear and it probably got the foul at the end if the half.

VN Store

Back