Weekly Practice Schedule (10/8-14)

I really can't get into the specifics of it because it would be tough to get specific without identifying individuals, their academic situations and what they were getting financially, but I was told by multiple people that no APR issues are expected, even with the Raleigh-to-Serrano turnover over the last 2.5 seasons.

I really can't get into the specifics of it because it would be tough to get specific without identifying individuals, their academic situations and what they were getting financially, but I was told by multiple people that no APR issues are expected, even with the Raleigh-to-Serrano turnover over the last 2.5 seasons.

TR saved the APR and I guess what you are saying is DS is reaping that cushion he left. Unless all these departures are walk ons the apr is going to suffer.

Another note on managing apr is that the hit taken when kids leave is lessened greatly when they go directly to a four year school. A number of the kids that left last year did that and that helps. Allen and harris didn't do that so if they were scholarship guys then their hits will be more severe.

Last edited:
Because of the way athletic scholarships were allocated the last two years, the program is not expected to have APR issues going forward.

Deer Park,

Your post reminded me that APR is calculated only for players with athletic scholarships.

I had forgot that point.

I withdraw my skepticism of Vol4ever's explanation of the Harris situation. If he didn't have athletic money, he couldn't hurt the APR no matter when he left or under what circumstances.

Even if he did, with the adjustments they make for athletes who go pro and for athletes who transfer in good standing, the attrition we've seen could be managed so as not to bring adverse APR consequences.

Some of these departures are scholarship guys and apr will be hurt. Most of them were not poor students so the apr hit won't be too severe but all these departures were not walk ons so the apr will be negatively effected.

Here's my thoughts on the issues at hand.

I had hoped last season that CDR would be able to "coach 'em up" more than he was able to do so. I discounted the inevitable turmoil in high turnover sports like baseball that follow a coaching change.

I knew that recruiting under Raleigh was poor (to put it mildly) but I still thought (incorrectly) that our staff would get something out of them that Raleigh could not.

Well, I know better now. Not only is it clear that a huge hunk of the roster was not SEC caliber; it now appears they were not even SoCon, OVC or A-Sun caliber players. That disastrous weekend against ULM sort of showed this first.

For Dave to turn this around (especially quickly) then the blood was going to have to flow in the streets. Even though Tennessee produces a high number of great prep players, (higher ration than any other sport); it still does not produce enough to field a consistent SEC-Caliber roster.

We had/have several guys from non-traditional powers (especially in the non hotbed SE corner of the state) and several guys from Knoxville area who were and are not ready for primetime and no amount of Serrano or Mosiello was going to change than in this new "deadbat" era.

Although rough to admit; several guys that lack the talent and several guys that lack the commitment had to leave and continue to leave. I think Serrano now considers 2012 to be "Year Zero",

As per complaints of prep and travel team coaches? Screw 'em. They produced players who were not ready. Then they helped them go to a team and league they were ill prepared for.

This situation is beginning to reek of the Andy Lopez era in Gainesville. Like Serrano, Lopez had a great deal of success winning a national title at Pepperdine. However, when he came to UF he found a woefully untalented and lazy roster of a lot of local kids and he purged them like Stalin did the Kulaks.

Back then there was no APR issues so he practically replaced his team after "Year Zero" and built a winner. However, the prima dona local coaches actively worked to end his regime and they succeeded even after the success and one mediocre season.

Here's my thoughts on the issues at hand.

I had hoped last season that CDR would be able to "coach 'em up" more than he was able to do so. I discounted the inevitable turmoil in high turnover sports like baseball that follow a coaching change.

I knew that recruiting under Raleigh was poor (to put it mildly) but I still thought (incorrectly) that our staff would get something out of them that Raleigh could not.

Well, I know better now. Not only is it clear that a huge hunk of the roster was not SEC caliber; it now appears they were not even SoCon, OVC or A-Sun caliber players. That disastrous weekend against ULM sort of showed this first.

For Dave to turn this around (especially quickly) then the blood was going to have to flow in the streets. Even though Tennessee produces a high number of great prep players, (higher ration than any other sport); it still does not produce enough to field a consistent SEC-Caliber roster.

We had/have several guys from non-traditional powers (especially in the non hotbed SE corner of the state) and several guys from Knoxville area who were and are not ready for primetime and no amount of Serrano or Mosiello was going to change than in this new "deadbat" era.

Although rough to admit; several guys that lack the talent and several guys that lack the commitment had to leave and continue to leave. I think Serrano now considers 2012 to be "Year Zero",

As per complaints of prep and travel team coaches? Screw 'em. They produced players who were not ready. Then they helped them go to a team and league they were ill prepared for.

This situation is beginning to reek of the Andy Lopez era in Gainesville. Like Serrano, Lopez had a great deal of success winning a national title at Pepperdine. However, when he came to UF he found a woefully untalented and lazy roster of a lot of local kids and he purged them like Stalin did the Kulaks.

Back then there was no APR issues so he practically replaced his team after "Year Zero" and built a winner. However, the prima dona local coaches actively worked to end his regime and they succeeded even after the success and one mediocre season.

Nice summation. I hope things turn out here better for Serrano than they did for Lopez.

Roster is down to 33. Alex Mistuloff, Junior RHP transfer from El Camino College in California, no longer appears on the roster.

Alex Mistuloff quit, couldn't handle the load. Transferring to Chico State, A very good D2 school in cal.

On a side note, being a parent of a feshman on the team and not from TN, What's the best way to watch all the games home or away? Is there a network or streaming cam? Thanks in advance.

That's a shame. Mistuloff was a workhorse for his previous school. Over 100 innings with ERA in the low 2's.

Home games usually have a free internet feed accessible through the team web site. Some of the road games can be streamed, too, but often for a fee through the home team's site.

That makes 25 players that have left the program since CDS took over. One to the draft early, the rest transferred or have quit baseball. I wish the VOLS luck this year but I'm afraid its going to be another long year.

That makes 25 players that have left the program since CDS took over. One to the draft early, the rest transferred or have quit baseball. I wish the VOLS luck this year but I'm afraid its going to be another long year.

Overall youth and lack of depth in the pitching staff may very well make this another long year. But, I don't think any of the players who left would have changed that. The program is headed in the right direction.

Alex Mistuloff quit, couldn't handle the load. Transferring to Chico State, A very good D2 school in cal.

On a side note, being a parent of a feshman on the team and not from TN, What's the best way to watch all the games home or away? Is there a network or streaming cam? Thanks in advance.

UTSports.com will have a video stream of all home games that are not televised. They will have an audio stream of road games.

VN Store

Back