Flu shot

Have you gotten a flu shot this year?

• Total voters
just got mine today. I did find it interesting that getting the shot at Walgreens wasn't covered by insurance but it would have been if I had gone to my primary. Wife actually tried to get one at her primary but they were out of doses. Seems backwards to me but it's not very expensive anyways

just got mine today. I did find it interesting that getting the shot at Walgreens wasn't covered by insurance but it would have been if I had gone to my primary. Wife actually tried to get one at her primary but they were out of doses. Seems backwards to me but it's not very expensive anyways

How much?

Nothing against you and bandvol but I choose not to believe it.

As I posted before. Got shot one time. Week later sick as a dog. Never again. Over 10 years have passed and never been sick from it. And I've been around folks with the flu.

Now I do have a very strong immune system. And I heal very fast.

Freedom, brother.

I got one this year and generally try to. Had the Swine Flue a few years back and it was a complete disaster; worse I've ever felt.

My wife is a licsenced nurse, but she is a school nurse, so she sees it. I was one of those living in the dark ages and refused to get a shot. One, who wants to be stuck. But then common sense got a hold of me. It doesn't hurt and it can prevent you from a number of different strains of the flu. Can there be a strain that was missed? Sure. But it is cheap and it is just a quick prick. Not sure why folks are resistant.

Again...like others who are actually in the medical field have already said...if you get sick "as a dog" a week after the flu shot, it has NOTHING to do with the shot. You either got exposed prior or during the 10 days to 2 weeks time it takes the flu shot to protect your system, or you DID NOT have the flu.

It has been a relatively early and busy "flu season" in the South. Most of the kids I'm seeing are pretty darn sick, and the illness can last 5-7 days with fever in the 105-106 degree range. As above stated, neither the flu shot or mist is capable of causing illness. You certainly can, however, get sick from the multitude of circulating viruses, which some people misinterpret as "catching the flu from the vaccine." That is scientifically impossible, as the shot contains no actual virus and the mist virus cannot survive at human body temperature.

I would HIGHLY encourage anyone who hasn't received the vaccine to either do so ASAP or discuss their concerns with their physician.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks Doc......
If you ever need a good NP or anyone that is and is decent ..let me know ...The ER is killing me

It has been a relatively early and busy "flu season" in the South. Most of the kids I'm seeing are pretty darn sick, and the illness can last 5-7 days with fever in the 105-106 degree range. As above stated, neither the flu shot or mist is capable of causing illness. You certainly can, however, get sick from the multitude of circulating viruses, which some people misinterpret as "catching the flu from the vaccine." That is scientifically impossible, as the shot contains no actual virus and the mist virus cannot survive at human body temperature.

I would HIGHLY encourage anyone who hasn't received the vaccine to either do so ASAP or discuss their concerns with their physician.

This can be very true in high exposure rates....There is very little anyone can do if exposed before innoculation

It also can be true if someone is immunocomprimised

This is also true for someone traveling abroad or exposure to traveling abroad

The way I see it ...The CDC was dead right about 3/4 of the viruses presenting themselves
I also see 100% of people that feel like total crap with the flu

ABC news said this exact thing last night.

Reactions: 1 person
I will add that I hadn't gotten one in a few years but did this year and last because we have a young child in the house. An adult may be able to lay on their back for 3 days and fight the flu but a child may not have the ability.

I've seen a BUNCH of kids dehydrated

I will add that I hadn't gotten one in a few years but did this year and last because we have a young child in the house. An adult may be able to lay on their back for 3 days and fight the flu but a child may not have the ability.

That's exactly why I started doing it. It's one thing to roll the dice on yourself; quite another to expose kids.

Let me suggest and since it's free you can take it or leave it
This best way is for you to drink a TON of fluids..If you aren't going to the bathroom every single hour then you are not drinking enough

I suggest a multi vitamin and the stress relief formula is what I reccomend
Treat yourself for the fever every 4-6 hours depending on whether it is Tylenol or advil

Keep taking your meds but the antibiotics were probably given to you to make you think they will work unless the Dr for some reason suspected an underlying infection
I am surprised they gave you Aderol without bronchitis or asthma or smoking...I don't ...that crap can make you jumpy and irritable

The CDC was alost dead on this year
I saw an average of 15 patients an hour last night with the flu...understand at our hospital we have a clinic type situation for flu cuts and bruises and we send major illness to through the complete ER

NONE of these people had the flu shot...about the time I sent over 15 kids to the children's side dehydrated
I was thinking their parents should get the flu EVERY year till they learn how to responsibly parent and NO I do not want to hear the crap about the danger of vaccines
Too many kids have come to see me for things that could have been easily prevented and they are the ones that suffer not the DA parents

r

I'm drinking extra fluids, and taking a multivitamin but it's not the stress relief type. It actually isn't Adderall it's Albuterol. I have responded well to Albuterol in the past for chest congestion and I don't do well with Mucinex. Jitteriness can be a side effect of Albuterol but I don't seem to get that. Yes, the antibiotic is for possible secondary infection as we all know antibiotics don't work on the flu itself. I have actually been alternating between Tylenol and Advil and it seems to manage the fever pretty well, often times breaking it.

I am not saying not to get a flu shot as I have gotten one every year as far as I can remember, I'm simply saying this year it's seems to just be "optional". As far as for the CDC being dead on with the strains in this years vaccine... the outbreak seems to speak to the contrary. My sister is an ER doctor and she's seeing MANY people in the ER who are testing positive for the flu who had a flu shot.

Last year I got one because we had a 6 month old baby in the house. That was the first time in at least 15 years that I got one. This year my wife keeps mentioning it but hasn't forced the issue (son got one so he's protected). At this point I feel like flu season is close to being over so what's the point? I do hear it is really bad this year. I've never had it. I rarely get sick as it is. Occasional sinus cold once or twice a year but that's about it.

We sent over 50 samples to the CDC this year, only ONE strain was not covered by the shot and only 4 patients all from the same family

This strain is from Australia and is hitting Europe HARD
This will become more prevalent with the reality of International flights

If you do not want a shot take the nasal spray

PLEASE don't believe the Urban Myth about the flu shot...it is simply not true..we inject with a dead virus and it does not replicate...ever not possible cannot happen
If you have the flu after taking the shot you have already been exposed ...period

The flu mist is a live virus BTW

And for those of you that got sick after a flu shot, BandVol says he knows better that you

the package insert: "The most frequently reported adverse reactions are mild hypersensitivity reactions (such as rash), local reactions at the injection site, and influenza-like symptoms"

and your own CDC who is promoting these vaccines:

http://vaers.hhs.gov/resources/SeasonalFluSummary_2012-2013.pdf

Last edited:

And for those of you that got sick after a flu shot, BandVol says he knows better that you

the package insert: "The most frequently reported adverse reactions are mild hypersensitivity reactions (such as rash), local reactions at the injection site, and influenza-like symptoms"

and your own CDC who is promoting these vaccines:

http://vaers.hhs.gov/resources/SeasonalFluSummary_2012-2013.pdf
Of course a few people develop side effects. It's a foreign substance being put into your body. People handle it differently. Some people can't handle Advil. That doesn't mean that the rest of us can't use it to get rid of a headache.

And Bandvol specified that he was talking about the injection. The point is that even with the mist, it is extremely unlikely that you will get the flu from the flu vaccine.

i get a flu shot every year and make it a point to wash my hands after going in public places lol i got this habit from dad,i keep a squirt bottle of the anti bacterial soap in the truck,since i've been doing that i've only had a mild cold or two and a dose of pneumonia this year and yes I'm going to get a shot for that next trip to the drug store

Considering that BandVol does work in the healthcare field, he or she DOES know better than you. And as another poster stated who was also in the healthcare field, the FluMist is an extremely weak form of the virus that cannot live in the human body due to the heat.

But keep living in your bubble.

VN Store

Back