Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you provide a summary?

1) Text messaging is back: Coaches are now allowed to text message recruits. It was banned back in 2007

2)
There are other aspects that carry a much greater impact, both financially to the school, and as a burden to both prospect and coach. The element of the proposal that says it's now for any staff member to call high school coaches, and prospects is scary.

That almost certainly opens the door for big-budget schools to create intern positions or to even develop a "call center" so that prospects will be contacted not only daily but perhaps multiple times in a day by different staff members during calling periods. I can see now school "X" telling 5-star prospect, "we want you so bad you're so important to us. Look we had 30 staff members contact you today."
-VQ

3) The NCAA has eliminated restrictions on what can be mailed to a prospect.

4) The NCAA is also proposing college coaches can now do in home visits with High School Juniors, six visits that includes one with the head coach. So not only do the coaches have to manage the current recruiting class with visits, it also has to focus on a whole other class (the Juniors).

To me this is the scariest proposal because now school's are deciding even earlier who can play and who can't. And you are only making it harder on kids, parents, and high school coaches to manage the process. And if you are a parent now, getting your kids to football camps as an 8th and 9th grader will be a must so that coaches can evaluate them to come see them as juniors. For the coaches it simply means you pack up and you are out everyday allowable in the month of December and January because there are so many kids to see. Yeah, that's healthy for coaching families and for your current football team.
-VQ

Anyone hear one of UT's compliance directors on Sports 180 yesterday? Apparently every UT coach has an app on their phone that notifies them how many times a recruit has been called or texted by them or another coach on the staff.

If, say it's the dead period, and another staff member has called already, a warning notification will pop-up and tell the coach it's a potential violation to continue with the call.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited:
A friend emailed this to me and said this was Palardy's offseason training program.

Kid-kicking-ball-fail-QWOP.gif

Reactions: 13 people
1) Text messaging is back: Coaches are now allowed to text message recruits. It was banned back in 2007

2) -VQ

3) The NCAA has eliminated restrictions on what can be mailed to a prospect.

4) The NCAA is also proposing college coaches can now do in home visits with High School Juniors, six visits that includes one with the head coach. So not only do the coaches have to manage the current recruiting class with visits, it also has to focus on a whole other class (the Juniors).

-VQ

Started a thread last week about this. Didn't get much response but darn huge news with big changes

Anyone hear one of UT's compliance directors on Sports 180 yesterday? Apparently every UT coach has an app on their phone that notifies them how many times a recruit has been called or texted by them or another coach on the staff.

If, say it's the dead period, and another staff member has called already, a warning notification will pop-up and tell the coach it's a potential violation to continue with the call.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Nearly universally used by all D1 schools now

Reactions: 1 person
Since we are the subject of new rules how much do we think the new juco rules will change things next year??

Next year those recruits will have to have a 2.5 instead of a 2.0gpa to be D1 eligible.

Since we are the subject of new rules how much do we think the new juco rules will change things next year??

Next year those recruits will have to have a 2.5 instead of a 2.0gpa to be D1 eligible.

Nobody had an opionion so I am going to answer myself!!!

I think the new change to a 2.5gpa will eliminate around 25per of the kids that went juco directly out of HS and around half of the kids that went to a 4 yr school before heading to juco.

That's takes a lot of the juco recruits off the board in 14.

Nobody had an opionion so I am going to answer myself!!!

I think the new change to a 2.5gpa will eliminate around 25per of the kids that went juco directly out of HS and around half of the kids that went to a 4 yr school before heading to juco.

That's takes a lot of the juco recruits off the board in 14.
More easy electives.

Seems like the NCAA sees the writing on the wall. It's in their best interest to start cooperating with schools rather than pissing them off.

I'd like to see revenue of just the SEC compared to the entire NCAA when it comes to football.

"Green - Still in it, if he visits this month I think it helps, but I don't think he's done to anywhere.

Kamara - Vols have some momentum and they have his attention. But, I don't think we get a good feel until he visits next weekend.

Lawson - Clemson/UT battle right now, but Auburn isn't going away. The family likes the Vols, but I think Carl has an affinity towards Clemson. This is another one I think we're going to have to wait until he visits.

North - We'll see if he makes it in this weekend. If he does, that really helps Tennessee. They will have to weather the North Carolina visit next weekend which won't be easy.

Kemp - Will visit Kentucky this weekend and Tennessee next weekend. I think he's more open than people are thinking.

Ford - I think Tennessee has him interested and listening, but he really likes Vandy. Was in Nashville for their bowl game.

C. Morris - If he visits, I think Tennessee would be in really good position. He's always liked Tennessee.

Bryant - We'll see if he actually makes it in that weekend. FSU is the strong leader.

Bellamy - I think he's pretty open. UGA, AU and FSU are all still in it. I'll be interested to hear what he says coming out of this weekend.

Foster - Still think it's a long shot.

Grace - He's visiting this weekend, but Miami leads.

Bell - I think Ohio State has definitely crept up for him. Will take a doozy of a weekend for the Vols to get him, but they are working hard."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 2 people
Bayside Academy (Ala.) LB Jonathan Walton has received offers from Auburn and Tennessee. Walton has already visited Minnesota and Penn State, the school he's committed to. He plans to visit South Carolina on Jan. 18. He's thinking about visits to Tennessee and Auburn and deciding on dates.

"Green - Still in it, if he visits this month I think it helps, but I don't think he's done to anywhere.

Kamara - Vols have some momentum and they have his attention. But, I don't think we get a good feel until he visits next weekend.

Lawson - Clemson/UT battle right now, but Auburn isn't going away. The family likes the Vols, but I think Carl has an affinity towards Clemson. This is another one I think we're going to have to wait until he visits.

North - We'll see if he makes it in this weekend. If he does, that really helps Tennessee. They will have to weather the North Carolina visit next weekend which won't be easy.

Kemp - Will visit Kentucky this weekend and Tennessee next weekend. I think he's more open than people are thinking.

Ford - I think Tennessee has him interested and listening, but he really likes Vandy. Was in Nashville for their bowl game.

C. Morris - If he visits, I think Tennessee would be in really good position. He's always liked Tennessee.

Bryant - We'll see if he actually makes it in that weekend. FSU is the strong leader.

Bellamy - I think he's pretty open. UGA, AU and FSU are all still in it. I'll be interested to hear what he says coming out of this weekend.

Foster - Still think it's a long shot.

Grace - He's visiting this weekend, but Miami leads.

Bell - I think Ohio State has definitely crept up for him. Will take a doozy of a weekend for the Vols to get him, but they are working hard."

- Fortenberry

Sooooo.....your saying there's a chance! Hahaha I thought he predicted us pulling some studs down the stretch.

ok so UNC, like Clemson are having huge recruiting weekends. anyone care to figure out who is going to those two schools the next two weeks that we are also recruiting heavily?

All I know is that every Sunday night for the next 3-4 weekends I will be glued to volnation waiting to hear how the visits went. I also understand this is the thick of silly season in recruiting but I somehow come back and fall for it every January and February.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back