Conzo & Dooley

He brought in Stokes last year that was supposed to be our best player this year. He just hasn't coached him up to potential. Cuonzo ain't a bad coach I just honestly think Pearl was better! Pearl started with nothing and went to tournaments he didn't "almost" make it!!
Started out with nothing? I guess you don't remember Lofton, Watson, J Smith, or Bradshaw?

Last edited:
Did the players make pearl or did pearl make the players?

Players made Pearl. Look at Maymon with Pearl then look at Maymon with Martin... Pearl had most of his success with Lofton bailing him out. He couldn't evaluate talent worth a damn.

Players made Pearl. Look at Maymon with Pearl then look at Maymon with Martin... Pearl had most of his success with Lofton bailing him out. He couldn't evaluate talent worth a damn.

Maymon showed alot of potential with pearl.....he was just out of control.......you do realize that those same players did not bail out buzz......also pearls best season, lofton wasn't even on the team.

IMO both were bad hires. We are already falling fast in basketball just like football. Hamilton really did a number on the Vols, We need a new basketball coach now before it hits bottom. Where is Bruce, bring him back now.

You are correct. Martin was not the best hire, that could have been made; however, almost no one was interested due to the supposed sanctions by the NCAA that were pending.

The team has character and there have been no troubles with the players off the court. Also, we beat Florida last season and Stokes signed with us and HUbbs will sign with us. Those are the high lights of Martins job here.

The low lights are the losses to Austin Peay,M.T.S.U. the 1 point loss to Memphis in Hawaii and the loss to College of Charleston.

Pearl had a more exciting team to watch and he found ways to win with the lesser talent he had when he 1st got here that was all I was saying.

You are wrong about Pearl having less talent his 1st year. He had JaJuan Smith, Chris Lofton, Dane Bradshaw and CJ Watson on that team.

1. This thread should not be in the recruiting forum.
2. Cuonzo is a good coach. He almost got a terrible team (from a talent perspective) into the tournament last year.
3. Cuonzo's best player, arguably, is redshirting this season due to injury (again, he inherited a bad team with no depth).
4. He's recruited and signed Robert Hubbs, a top 20 player nationally.

Get over your sour grapes from losing to Ole Miss last night. They aren't a bad team.

Didnt dooley inherit a decimated roster? Didnt Hunter and Bray go down his second year? Didnt Dooley still apparently recruit well? I guess our back to back 5-7 seasons werent bad teams either. One decent recruit will not save this team next year. Something is clearly not clicking with this team and I hope we get it sorted out.

Reactions: 1 person
IMO both were bad hires. We are already falling fast in basketball just like football. Hamilton really did a number on the Vols, We need a new basketball coach now before it hits bottom. Where is Bruce, bring him back now.

It's a good thing your opinion doesn't mean sh*t. It's his 2nd year, give the man time.

You are wrong about Pearl having less talent his 1st year. He had JaJuan Smith, Chris Lofton, Dane Bradshaw and CJ Watson on that team.

That is part of my point before going into that season cj was considered a avg sec pg.....jajuan smith was an after thought walk on......lofton was considered a good three point shooter that couldn't do anything else....bradshaw was a 3rd string pg that couldn't shoot that we wasted a scholarship on and was picked to finish near the bottom of the sec......only after pearl are those players remembered so fondly.

Again, I like how people overreact after one (or two) terrible games and want someone fired. I guess it is just the sign of the times.

I would be in bad shape if my job was contingent upon having every day being successful because they are some that are more productive than others.

Let the season play out first.

That is part of my point before going into that season cj was considered a avg sec pg.....jajuan smith was an after thought walk on......lofton was considered a good three point shooter that couldn't do anything else....bradshaw was a 3rd string pg that couldn't shoot that we wasted a scholarship on and was picked to finish near the bottom of the sec......only after pearl are those players remembered so fondly.

Nothing average about CJ Watson. He may have been viewd as average because Buzz Peterson had been his coach. But, PG play is so important in college basketball.

Pearl had very good guard play along with a sharpshooter. Pearl did great things with that team and overachieved, but my point is that Pearl had the guard play to make it work.

Didnt dooley inherit a decimated roster? Didnt Hunter and Bray go down his second year? Didnt Dooley still apparently recruit well? I guess our back to back 5-7 seasons werent bad teams either. One decent recruit will not save this team next year. Something is clearly not clicking with this team and I hope we get it sorted out.

One 5 star recruit can make a difference in college basketball. No doubt about it. Not in football, but in basketball.

I am not saying that we will be world-beaters, but a 5 star player in basketball is huge.

Cuanzo is still a Hamilton hire. Sadly, that's one thing that can never change. We got rid of the Hamilton stench in football this year, but it's still here in basketball. I just assume every hire Hamilton makes is ****ty. Except Pearl, of course.

This isn't Cuanzo's fault, but until he leaves absolutely zero doubt as to his coaching abilities, I will always wonder. I simply can't convince myself that any Hamilton hire is 'the answer'. I really think the program is in a bad spot. You obviously can't fire Cuanzo either (not saying we should).

Again, I like how people overreact after one (or two) terrible games and want someone fired. I guess it is just the sign of the times.

I would be in bad shape if my job was contingent upon having every day being successful because they are some that are more productive than others.

Let the season play out first.

College BB coaches are measured on tourny appearances. CCM has never been as a coach. He didn't go last year. The SEC will probably only get 4 teams in the tourny this year. KY, Missouri, and FL are more than likely going. Everyone else is battling for 4th place. Ole Miss just took a huge step in grabbing that spot from us. Assuming that CCM does not make the dance this year, then his job at UT will probably be decided on what the team does next year. He will definitely be on the hot seat come next Nov. So, no there isn't an over reaction because of one bad day at the office. A very important game to CCM future here at UT was lost last night. You think it's bad now, if we lose Sat at Bama, it's going to get ugly really quick with a visit to Rupp right around the corner.

Hamilton made this hire... No surprise it's not a home run or even a double.. This team is sloppy. Last year's team was sloppy.. Reminds me of Kevin O'neill basketball.. He does have a shooter coming in next year. That will help..

Last edited:
chill out Maymon is hurt and him and Hubbs will be here next yr along with an older Stokes, Richardson and Mcrae

You are correct. Martin was not the best hire, that could have been made; however, almost no one was interested due to the supposed sanctions by the NCAA that were pending.

The team has character and there have been no troubles with the players off the court. Also, we beat Florida last season and Stokes and Hubbs signed with us . Those are the high lights of Martins job here.

The low lights are the losses to Austin Peay,M.T.S.U. the 1 point loss to Memphis in Hawaii and the loss to College of Charleston.

fyp

College BB coaches are measured on tourny appearances. CCM has never been as a coach. He didn't go last year. The SEC will probably only get 4 teams in the tourny this year. KY, Missouri, and FL are more than likely going. Everyone else is battling for 4th place. Ole Miss just took a huge step in grabbing that spot from us. Assuming that CCM does not make the dance this year, then his job at UT will probably be decided on what the team does next year. He will definitely be on the hot seat come next Nov. So, no there isn't an over reaction because of one bad day at the office. A very important game to CCM future here at UT was lost last night. You think it's bad now, if we lose Sat at Bama, it's going to get ugly really quick with a visit to Rupp right around the corner.

Agree with all of that. Last time I checked, I couldn't predict the future and neither can anyone else I know. I didn't think last year's team would sweep Florida. Let's just see what happens before we talk about "firing someone.

1. This thread should not be in the recruiting forum.
2. Cuonzo is a good coach. He almost got a terrible team (from a talent perspective) into the tournament last year.
3. Cuonzo's best player, arguably, is redshirting this season due to injury (again, he inherited a bad team with no depth).
4. He's recruited and signed Robert Hubbs, a top 20 player nationally.

Get over your sour grapes from losing to Ole Miss last night. They aren't a bad team.

Almost doesn't cut it or Dooley would still be here. He wasn't ready for this gig.

Agree with all of that. Last time I checked, I couldn't predict the future and neither can anyone else I know. I didn't think last year's team would sweep Florida. Let's just see what happens before we talk about "firing someone.

I'm not got my pitch fork out yet. I'll support the team the rest of the year and continue to b1tch every minute Skylar McBee is on the floor. But if we are questioning if we are a bubble team this time next year playing with 2 5 stars, then I will at that time be ready for CCM to be replaced.

Some of you who are calling for his head already are complete idiots. Yes, we lost. No, we're not having the season we wanted. IT TAKES TIME TO BUILD A PROGRAM, it's not going to happen two years.
I transferred from Missouri State to UT, and attended MSU when Cuonzo was there... I saw his coaching ability. When he got there, that team was about as untalented as you could get and in his final year should have beat bruce pearl in the pre-season NIT, where he only lost by 4. With a team that wasn't nearly as talented as UT's. You're just calling for him to be fired because you hate waiting for a team to get good. Sorry but unless you're a team that has multiple final four appearances you're not going to become a final four or even sweet sixteen team over night. It just doesn't happen. It takes time to build a program and get it into one of those teams. Cuonzo's third year at Missouri State, with a lot less resources than UT, was a miracle season for that team.
Until time happens, keep your panties on ladies. You're being over-dramatic.

I don't agree with this assessment at all. Look at what he's done with McRae. I think CCM has done a great job with McRae. He's turning into what we hoped he'd turn into.

Did Pearl "coach up" any player he had at UT? Hopson? Hall? Anyone?

Pearl also had more than one year to get his team to the tournament, and Calipari wasn't at UK. CCM been the coach all of one year, and he won SEC coach of the year. C'mon man.

Pearl's first team made the tournament. All six of his teams made it.
You are correct that Calipari was not at UK when Pearl came. Calipari moved to UK before Pearl's fifth UT season.

VN Store

Back