Pit Bulls

I would think my child could survive a chihuahua attack better than a pit bull attack. I agree the owner has a lot to do with it but a dog that was bred purely for fighting has be naturally more violent. Each dog has its own personality as well.

That's why I said hurt, I was speaking more to my experience with a single dog more than the breed. The dog I was referring to could do some major damage if he was raised differently. He got in a fight with some coyotes and killed two of them. He got out of it with a few scars on his face. He was probably the scariest lookin dog I've seen in up close but the worst he'd do is slobber on you.

I agree about the dogs personality. Another friend of mine has a pit and I can't stand it. I don't feel like its dangerous, its just annoying.

I never read an article where a Great Dane attacked anyone. I see where pits do it everyday. I don't know much about dog fighting other than it involves mostly put bulls & there has to be a reason for it. I agree people are largely to blame but not solely.

Because nobody wants to read an article that says... "Great Dane bites Grandma".

I have been around several Pits and all of them have been big babies that just want attention. Other people have said it before in this thread. It's all in how they are raised. Granted Pits are very strong dogs, they can be taught/trained how to act.

I think it's because they have the capability to do such serious damage, they're strong as hell and if not trained properly what would, from a smaller/weaker dog, be a less than serious incident can turn into a serious injury.

As far as the rapper goes, his success is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

I have a 2.5 year old blue pit. She is the sweetest dog out of any I have owned. She is fixed and has been well socialized. My 5 pound chihuahua bites her lip, ears, nose or whatever gets close and my pit just backs up and walks away. She's afraid of the dark and loves everyone that comes to our house, even delivery people. I admit I initially wanted her for home protection when I'm alone but that didn't work out so well. She wouldn't hurt a fly. Well, actually she would. She despises bugs. She will chase any bug that flies and eat it but she would never hurt a person.

I agree that a lot has to do with the owner and how they are cared for. I've been around pits that I was definitely not comfortable with, but 98% have been big babies.

They are very strong dogs.. I doubt mine have much body fat at all.. The male is 80 pounds or so, the female is about 65.. Key is socializing them early.. Socialize them with people and other dogs. You won't have anything to worry about.. Keeping them isolated in the back yard on a chain, you may have something to worry about.. People who keep their dogs in a pin or chained in the back yard, don't need dogs.. They're not a yard ornament.. Makes them mean also.. Can't blame them.. I'd be pissed off too if i we're tied to a tree or on a chain for life...

I have a 2.5 year old blue pit. She is the sweetest dog out of any I have owned. She is fixed and has been well socialized. My 5 pound chihuahua bites her lip, ears, nose or whatever gets close and my pit just backs up and walks away. She's afraid of the dark and loves everyone that comes to our house, even delivery people. I admit I initially wanted her for home protection when I'm alone but that didn't work out so well. She wouldn't hurt a fly. Well, actually she would. She despises bugs. She will chase any bug that flies and eat it but she would never hurt a person.

I agree that a lot has to do with the owner and how they are cared for. I've been around pits that I was definitely not comfortable with, but 98% have been big babies.

The same owner who had a pit also had a chihuahua and the Chihuahua was the meanest. She too would also try to bite the pit (her name was Sassy) and Sassy couldn't have cared less. She never tried to bit back or anything. I think Chihuahuas are meaner than any dog out there. :)

The same owner who had a pit also had a chihuahua and the Chihuahua was the meanest. She too would also try to bite the pit (her name was Sassy) and Sassy couldn't have cared less. She never tried to bit back or anything. I think Chihuahuas are meaner than any dog out there. :)

My MIL rescued a chihuahua that was abused early on. So technically it has an excuse to be an *******. But 7 years later I STILL have to back out of that house or that dog will run up and bite my ankles.

Yep. Little dogs are the meanest, but it's hard to be scared of an 8 pound dog wearing a sweater that is growling at you from inside a purse.

:)

A dog's temperament is dependent a lot on its childhood experiences, but the breed certainly influences how the dog's behavior is affected by abuse, etc.

An abused golden retriever is going to be really timid and cower and run away from everything. An abused pitt is going to be more defensive.

Reactions: 2 people
My mom has one.. Every time it gets around my dogs it tries to bite them.. My dogs run from a chihuahua.. My dogs are sissies....:p

We have a Pekingese mix from the shelter , I had to warn the vet he bites
BUT I have to say in the ER we don't see the little dog bites unless it is on a child
I have seen numerous bites from Pitts and Pitt mixes of course that is being reported by patients and could be wrong
I have never seen a wound 12 inches long and 3 inches deep from a chihaua

My mom has one.. Every time it gets around my dogs it tries to bite them.. My dogs run from a chihuahua.. My dogs are sissies....:p

We have a Pekingese mix from the shelter , I had to warn the vet he bites
BUT I have to say in the ER we don't see the little dog bites unless it is on a child
I have seen numerous bites from Pitts and Pitt mixes of course that is being reported by patients and could be wrong
I have never seen a wound 12 inches long and 3 inches deep from a chihaua
They barely have teeth.. More like nubs.. They do have the little man syndrome though..

WOW I had no idea .. I had always assumed they were gentle little creatures with no real purpose kind of like the peckignese mix I own

I swear on a weekly basis I wonder why the heck I brought this little guy home..when we try to pick him and get him out of the crate if he is not in the mood he can be an azz
Funny thing about this little man is that he has never snapped at nor bitten the kids...Spouse and I have scars on the hand from the punk

They barely have teeth.. More like nubs.. They do have the little man syndrome though..

I have one and she annoys the hell out of our Jack Russell Terrier. You would think he would try to bite her or attack, but he just runs from her. It's almost as if he is thinking, "dear lord it's you again." She isn't afraid of him at all.

I don't know what it is about little dogs. Most of them i've been around aren't very friendly or have some odd annoying habits.. I wouldn't have my mom's dog. It's a mean little shat. You can't even give her a hug when you leave. It runs up to you and bites you. Very possessive dog. Won't let the cat lay on her lap either, runs him off.

VN Store

Back