Weekly Practice Schedule (10/8-14)

Everybody found out where they stood at the end of the season in May. Some were cut loose or encouraged to transfer, and I heard Serrano helped at least some of them find other places to play.

Others had their money taken away (or never had any to begin with) and were invited back to compete for roster spots with no guarantees. That's a much tougher situation. Anyone who came back on those terms knew they were taking a chance. That doesn't make it easier for them when they get cut, but it does mean they were warned.

Some of the guys who didn't come back for whatever reason used the summer and landed on their feet: Richard Carter at Coastal Carolina, Conner Stevens at Duke, and Jake Rowland at Tennessee Tech.

It is a tough business. Serrano is getting paid a lot of money to turn things around, and he has to make some tough decisions. There's no way around it unless you're willing to wait a couple extra years to see results. I do feel bad for guys who burned a redshirt year, then got cut this fall, and now either have to move to their third school or give up on baseball.

I couldn't have said it better. I know at least two of the recent cuts intend to stay in school here anyway and not play anywhere else.

The last guy made a lot of mistakes putting the roster together, and Serrano had to fix them. There were some guys surprised at the end of last season for sure, but nothing that has happened this fall has blindsided anyone.

Anybody know the status of the roster?

The team web site shows 36 players. They need to get down to 35 before the season starts, or lower if any of the players who left this fall were "counters" because they were on scholarship.

yeah, clearly Serrano has a vendetta against Tennessee kids.

do you just type the first irrational thought that comes to your head.

yeah, clearly Serrano has a vendetta against Tennessee kids.

do you just type the first irrational thought that comes to your head.

Its a long list of kids from tenn that are longer on his roster. Pretty darn big revolving door going on right now. The only thing irrational is the apr score that's heading the wrong direction at the moment.

Sorry to be so negative but there have been so many Tennessee kids shown the door since DS arrived(not saying allen was as I dont know his story). Perhaps DS is doing what is best and I hope he is but I hate it for our home state kids. DS is going to have to build this program up without the help of our state schools because of all this negative stuff. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Sorry for chiming in but I'm a parent of a current member of Vol baseball. All this talk about some players moving on made me jump into this forum. From what I know none of these moves have anything to do with Tennessee players not being wanted by this staff. In fact I know first hand that there are MANY Tennessee boys who are very happy on this team. This is what I do know, Coltin Harris was eligible but did very poorly in school and was a huge academic threat as they moved on. He was asked to go to JC to get grades turned around and has the opportunity to return if that happens. I did just hear about Jared Allen last night and he decided to transfer to a local JC because he didn't see playing time like he wanted because of young talented players in outfield now. From what I saw this fall he didn't fair very well during workouts. As far as other players my belief it's all part of a coaching staff change and new staff with different approach. From everything I hear and I've seen this staff has nothing but kids best interest in mind which is a huge change. Sometimes change is very difficult but let's give it some time before jumping to conclusions.
I do wish all the former team members well at there new school.

I don't know but It would appear Tennessee kids aren't welcome on that roster.

For a program that doesn't want "Tennessee kids" on the roster, they sure have committments from a lot of local kids including; Jammer Strickland, Kyle Serrano, and Eric Freeman from Farragut, Lane Thomas from Bearden.

Then you add that to all of the local kids brought in last year including Simcox, Lance, Owenby, Quillen, Lloyd, etc. This staff has recruited this area and this state harder than any UT baseball coach in recent history.

There is a lot of good things going on at LNS and UT is on the right track. There is still a long way to go to get the program back to where it was pre-Raleigh but the right folks are in place to get it done.

Thanks for that info Vol4ever,

I think the common denominator between most of the departures is not their home state but who recruited them.

It's just a fact of life that coaches prefer working with players they recruited over players they inherited. Unless the children from the previous marriage quickly convince the new coach they are key contributors, it's generally better for everyone if they find a fresh start somewhere else with a new coach who chooses them. It's nobody's fault. Just the way the business works.

More than 2/3 of Raleigh's last recruiting class is already gone now heading into their sophomore season. I will be surprised if more than 5 Raleigh recruits from all classes combined are on the roster next year.

Allen was a top 1000 prospect out of high school. A season at a JUCO where he gets lots of AB's and has the chance to figure out college pitching may be the best thing for him.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of the explanation for Harris. If he leaves for a two-year school now, UT takes a guaranteed hit against its Academic Progress Rating. Granted, it's not as big as the hit we'd take if he's not eligible after the spring semester. But, c'mon, we do have that fabulous Thornton Center and all the advising and tutoring available there. Are we really supposed to believe the coaches so doubted their ability to monitor his academic progress that they didn't think they could keep him eligible for one more semester? Hmmm.

For a program that doesn't want "Tennessee kids" on the roster, they sure have committments from a lot of local kids including; Jammer Strickland, Kyle Serrano, and Eric Freeman from Farragut, Lane Thomas from Bearden.

Then you add that to all of the local kids brought in last year including Simcox, Lance, Owenby, Quillen, Lloyd, etc. This staff has recruited this area and this state harder than any UT baseball coach in recent history.

There is a lot of good things going on at LNS and UT is on the right track. There is still a long way to go to get the program back to where it was pre-Raleigh but the right folks are in place to get it done.

I get it that there are some tenn players on the roster but it can't be denied that many tenn players have left the program for whatever reason. I know for a fact a number of them were shown the door and that tenn hs and travel coaches coaches are very upset about the way the instate kids have been handled. Based on that the road to building this program back up is going to be significantly harder if recruiting the state of tenn is part of the process.

Thanks for that info Vol4ever,

I think the common denominator between most of the departures is not their home state but who recruited them.

It's just a fact of life that coaches prefer working with players they recruited over players they inherited. Unless the children from the previous marriage quickly convince the new coach they are key contributors, it's generally better for everyone if they find a fresh start somewhere else with a new coach who chooses them. It's nobody's fault. Just the way the business works.

More than 2/3 of Raleigh's last recruiting class is already gone now heading into their sophomore season. I will be surprised if more than 5 Raleigh recruits from all classes combined are on the roster next year.

Allen was a top 1000 prospect out of high school. A season at a JUCO where he gets lots of AB's and has the chance to figure out college pitching may be the best thing for him.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of the explanation for Harris. If he leaves for a two-year school now, UT takes a guaranteed hit against its Academic Progress Rating. Granted, it's not as big as the hit we'd take if he's not eligible after the spring semester. But, c'mon, we do have that fabulous Thornton Center and all the advising and tutoring available there. Are we really supposed to believe the coaches so doubted their ability to monitor his academic progress that they didn't think they could keep him eligible for one more semester? Hmmm.

Good post. Your point on who recruited the kids is a very good point. The harris explanation makes zero sense since he was eligible. Kids have tough fits semesters all the time and rebound nicely with support from coaches and academic staff. Like I posted before the only thing that really matters is the perception the state coaches have and right now its very bad.

Not to go into too much detail but this coaching staff has set certain standards both on the field, in the classroom, and in the community. If a player wants to meet these standards, they will be a part of the program.

That's how you establish a winning tradition in a program. If you check into this, most of the ones who were asked to leave, did not meet this criteria.

Not to go into too much detail but this coaching staff has set certain standards both on the field, in the classroom, and in the community. If a player wants to meet these standards, they will be a part of the program.

That's how you establish a winning tradition in a program. If you check into this, most of the ones who were asked to leave, did not meet this criteria.

What an amazingly content-free recitation of the party line! That post had no information at all.

It's premature to harrumph about how we're establishing a winning tradition. Try to tone down the snooty attitude at least until we get to Hoover.

Showme, funny that you would make that comment. You have been whining about the baseball program with NO FACTS to back up your made up assumptions. Further, it is not my job to educate you on these matters but here is an example of what I am talking about:

In the fall, the players had been given benchmarks to meet in their conditioning. When they returned for the fall and had their time trials, about 14 (less than 20) of the 40+ players met or exceeded their expected times. Included in the number not making the times were several if not all of the returning players who were later taken off the roster.

There are more facts but I will not call out individuals or groups of players who are no longer with the program. Now, why don't you give some facts to back up your whining.

Showme, funny that you would make that comment. You have been whining about the baseball program with NO FACTS to back up your made up assumptions. Further, it is not my job to educate you on these matters but here is an example of what I am talking about:

In the fall, the players had been given benchmarks to meet in their conditioning. When they returned for the fall and had their time trials, about 14 (less than 20) of the 40+ players met or exceeded their expected times. Included in the number not making the times were several if not all of the returning players who were later taken off the roster.

There are more facts but I will not call out individuals or groups of players who are no longer with the program. Now, why don't you give some facts to back up your whining.
So only 14 of 40 met these requirements but you are using this as an example of why kids have left the program??

Will we have enough to have a team when this attrition is over?

Some are no longer with the program because they were either unwilling or unable to meet the standards that have been set. I'm OK with that. If you are looking for something to complain about, you will have plenty to complain about once the SEC season starts and this young team begins trying to compete with the best teams in the nation. But, better days are coming and soon.

If you have an ax to grind with this coaching staff, at least admit that so we can move on. If not, please provide some facts to back up your complaints.

Some are no longer with the program because they were either unwilling or unable to meet the standards that have been set. I'm OK with that. If you are looking for something to complain about, you will have plenty to complain about once the SEC season starts and this young team begins trying to compete with the best teams in the nation. But, better days are coming and soon.

If you have an ax to grind with this coaching staff, at least admit that so we can move on. If not, please provide some facts to back up your complaints.

My perception has been formed from what many of the hs coaches are saying thru out the state. They are furious about how so many of the tenn kids have revolved out the door. Perception is reality and in thier mind kids like harris haven't been given any kind of real chance. Fair or not they feel that vandy has made them feel like their kids are important and DS has made them feel just the opposite. These are bigtime tenn fans in all sports. Certainly their side to the story isn't 100per truth but that really doesn't matter since that's what is being spread around.

I have spoken to a hand full of coaches that all have had players recruited to tenn and they all feel this way. I made a number of friends in hs baseball a few years back when I umpired a number a games. That's my connection.

Last edited:
Bruin, not sure why Vandy would be so highly thought of by in state coaches. There are less than 10 in state players on Vandy's roster and only two of those are from outside the Nashville/Murfreesboro area. What area of the state are you talking about where the coaches are not happy with UT?

I don't know what happened with Harris. I was excited about him being here and expected big things. As a UT parent pointed out earlier, there were apparently some questions about grades and/or performance in the classroom. Hate it for him, hope he lands on his feet.

Serrano stepped into a tougher situation than Butch Jones is inheriting. He is obviously trying to build from the ground up and set the tone for what is expected from players in the program. There are growing pains in any rebuilding process. Lets' see how it plays out.

Bruin, not sure why Vandy would be so highly thought of by in state coaches. There are less than 10 in state players on Vandy's roster and only two of those are from outside the Nashville/Murfreesboro area. What area of the state are you talking about where the coaches are not happy with UT?

I don't know what happened with Harris. I was excited about him being here and expected big things. As a UT parent pointed out earlier, there were apparently some questions about grades and/or performance in the classroom. Hate it for him, hope he lands on his feet.

Serrano stepped into a tougher situation than Butch Jones is inheriting. He is obviously trying to build from the ground up and set the tone for what is expected from players in the program. There are growing pains in any rebuilding process. Lets' see how it plays out.

I have to talked to a few coaches all thru the state. Knoxville seems to be the only area not to have a bad taste in their mouth for DS. I hate to say it but TR had a better perception amongst these coaches I talk to. Not saying they felt he was a good coach but he was visible in the state. The fact that DS and staff didn't attend the sunbelt classic last year really burned the hs coaches alot. In fact more than one told me that's why stone decommited and ended up at vandy.

I have whined about nothing. I have explained the reality of where we are as a program. I have counseled patience during what will be necessarily be a long and painful rebuilding process. And I have explained why Serrano has had to make some tough decisions. No whining here.

I really hope your son has a good freshman season because Serrano will do what he has to do to turn this ship around. He just signed ten players in the early signing period, and if last year is any guide, he'll bring in another ten or twelve late commitments as he combs the country for late blooming high school talent and game-ready JUCO arms. To make room for this next class of perhaps 20 recruits, there are only 3 seniors on the roster, no more than two juniors who will get drafted, and one spot just freed up by Allen.

The roster math and this new information you've just provided about between 23 and 28 players not meet their benchmarks tell us there will be more blood on the decks this summer. As a fan who wants to see us win again (preferably soon), I'm glad Serrano isn't letting sentimentality get in the way of hard decisions.

However, I do feel bad for the good kids who may not be the caliber of player who can win in the SEC and know they're taking a chance, but who come here anyway because they want to be Vols, only to get cut after a year or two as the coaches continuously try to upgrade. It's hard but it's necessary.

I got ticked off by your post because it's the second time you have insinuated (with just enough deniability to weasel out of it when called out) that the departed players lacked the desire or character or discipline to be part of the new winning tradition. There's no call for that kind of attitude. I wasn't complaining about the program. Serrano is just doing his job.

I do not have a son on the team. Glad to see that you understand the hard decisions that have to be made. Patience will be a virtue with this program for the next year or so but better times are coming.

Never made any insinuations about Colton Harris. I really don't know for sure what happened to him and I really don't like to comment about young men who are chasing their dreams for nothing more than a percentage of tuition, books, room and board. (A current player's parent did give some info on that subject).

However, I don't think it's a stretch to say some of the departed were not meeting the standards set by the current coaching staff. Further, I don't think any of them should have been surprised when a "hard decision" was made. A fair shot is all anyone should be promised.

Last edited:
Bruin, who was the Freshman pitcher from Columbia that left the program last spring? Did his situation affect Stone's decision?

Interesting to hear about Serrano's perception in the mid state area?

A fair shot is all anyone should be promised.

Yep that's all anyone can ask for. As long as the staff is telling these kids during the recruiting process they will have the one fall to prove themselves before they are shown the door its all good. You think the staff is telling that to recruits??

Bruin, who was the Freshman pitcher from Columbia that left the program last spring? Did his situation affect Stone's decision?

Interesting to hear about Serrano's perception in the mid state area?

Horne. I don't think it mattered. That's one that left that no one is blaming the staff for. The kid was firmly to blame

VN Store

Back