Paint the rock for the 18th!!

Ertel

ok guys heres the deal we can have a paint the rock thread for organization of the event as far as getting people together, getting ideas of what to put on the rock and discussing how it should be done but please don't discuss any type of monetary donations. so lets get some ideas on what to do for the 18th. unfortunately its looking like the weather will prevent a painting for this upcoming weekend. if anything changes though i will definitely make an effort to get it painted.

tentative time frame for the evening of the 18th will be about 6 pm. luckily i get off of work at 5 that eve and unless i get caught up with a client i should be able to head out then. i have plenty of money now for supplies so i wont need anyone that helps paint to bring anything unless maybe you have an idea that requires something specific. I have been in touch with Jake Tate ( he has helped me in the past and is a much better artist) so we should be able to do a pretty solid job this time. i have also contacted the infamous gibbs hall guy and he should be able to help some as well. now all we need is a gameplan so lets hear some ideas and see some mockups!

heres who is coming in so far. feel free to let me know who changes their mind or decides to come so i can keep a good updated list.

Weekend of January 18th
DE Carl Lawson (Auburn commit)
TE Arshad Jackson
DB Jaleel Hytchye
DB Shelton Gibson
DE Davin Bellamy (FSU commit)
DB Eddie Jackson
DE Jaylen Miller
DB Cameron Sutton (UT commit)
TE AJ Branisel (UT commit)
WR Ryan Jenkins (UT commit) Unofficial Visit
OL Austin Sanders (UT commit) Unofficial Visit
WR Josh Smith (UT commit)
OL Brett Kendrick (UT commit)
OL Dylan Weisman (UT commit)
DB Malik Foreman (UT commit)Unofficial Visit

super strong visit list guys. lets make them feel welcome!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 people
IMO with the comments from the Lawson family don't do anything for him specifically that brings anymore attention to him than the rest of the recruits on campus. Listing them all the same is my thought.

IMO with the comments from the Lawson family don't do anything for him specifically that brings anymore attention to him than the rest of the recruits on campus. Listing them all the same is my thought.

i agree, especially with the type of guys coming in with him theres no way i would want to make rueben foster, kamara or bellamy feel unloved because they are all almost as important as lawson.

Reactions: 2 people
R. Foster is visiting?

thats copied from the january visitors thread so hopefully its accurate. would be huge imo. to get the number two and number six guys in the nation in together, when theyre both committed to the same school and both seemingly looking for a new home. would be amazing!

Wow didn't think we had a shot at Foster. That is great getting him and Lawson and Kamara on campus with signing day looming.

Reactions: 1 person
This may have been already stated but I'd put equal importance on every player coming in, regardless of 3* or 5*, kinda show no one person makes TN Vols, but the whole team does.

This may have been already stated but I'd put equal importance on every player coming in, regardless of 3* or 5*, kinda show no one person makes TN Vols, but the whole team does.

Agree. Makes sure all the names are clearly visible but all of equal importance. We need a lot of these kids.

Amen to this. We never know what a word,deed,simple gesture will mean to someone. Everyone must be treated like he is the best player in the world and Tennessee is the only place to be. Stars do not win football games. Athletes win games.

Vols for life in chatt town and along I75 to knoxville. I'll drive up that friday night and help paint the rock.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
That is a great job by the coaches to get that many great players to visit at the same time.GO BIG ORANGE...

I think either a general message to the whole group of recruits or painting the names of every single recruit would be best. I'm kind of leaning to the former though.

No need to leave anyone of those guys out, we need everyone and don't want any to feel unappreciated.

Agree all these would help us but if we was able to steal the lawson kid and the other auburn commit that would help recruit alot of kids still wavering

This is my first post, and I may be forgetting something, but wasn't it said that we are done at cb? if so, why do you guys think we have some visiting?

My idea is not to list the names this time. I want to do a paint without writing 20 names but conveys to these guys that they have the support of this town and that we welcome them as family. I'm gonna draw some stuff up and post it.

What happened to our sticky "paint the rock" in the Pub? It had all the old stuff on it.

Can we give this class a title to tie all the recruits together. The REDEEM TEAM or something like that. Try to sell being the class to take Tennessee back to the top.

How about something with Team 117 all the players are posting this
This is UT`s 117 football team.

jake+tate-albums-+rock+1-15-2012-picture4531-imag0056.jpg

heres the last one I had a hand in. It looked better the night before, but some of the paint ran. Trial and error.

I'm thinking something like "back of a Jersey with the class ('13) or team number (117) as the numerals and "your name here" as the name and a message. Gotta work on it.

Sorry for typos on my phone at work

Last edited:
How about something with Team 117 all the players are posting this
This is UT`s 117 football team.

Rocky top welcomes class of 2013 recruits.

The culmination of over a century of football excellence!!

Join Team 117 and rise to the top!!!

Reactions: 5 people
Rocky top welcomes class of 2013 recruits.

The culmination of over a century of football excellence!!

Join Team 117 and rise to the top!!!

That sounds really good. let's go with that and I want to hear some opinions on the artwork. I am open to all suggestions and have been practicing a bit since last year.

Should be something about these guys being the dream team... or the one of the other generic restore the glory themes. Kids enjoy that sort of stuff

VN Store

Back