Advanced Metrics Nonsense

I already looked there. It was too much to read...more than anything I'd like to see how they came up with their formula? Regression modeling? Can't find an answer.

I've seen the actual models Wins Produced was built on, including t-Stats, R^2, etc. I understand less of that stuff now than when I was in college, I just remember being completely convinced that Wins Produced was legit...to put R^2 and the other crap into layman's terms: the model explains 98% of winning. To put that into perspective, a model that explains 85% of anything (controlling for confidence intervals, and whatnot) is a pretty good model.

I feel like I said all of that just to sound smart. What a douche.

As a history major, that second paragraph went completely over my head.

Jodie Meeks > Kobe Bryant. Sorry no link

Not this year, but Kobe was horrible last year and he's playing awesome this year. Meeks was above average last year, and he's been bad this year. Not as bad as Kobe was last year, though.

Love that Melo gets the headline for his 40 points:

Melo - 40 on 29 FGA + 9 FTA = 7 net points gained
Chandler - 14 on 6 FGA + 4 FTA = 6 net points gained

What Melo did is a difficult and impressive achievement, but as far as his contribution towards winning, he didn't do much more than Chandler in the scoring department.

All Star fan votes have been a joke for years, wasnt Yao Ming an All Star one year despite not even playing at all that season?

All-star fan votes have always been a joke. When it's not getting usurped by the Chinese, it's getting wrecked by the sort of hype fed idiots who think Kobe is still a great player.

I voted for Chandler over KG FWIW.

I also voted for Harden over Kobe.

My team was:

Chris Paul
James Harden
Kevin Durant
David Lee
Tim Duncan

Then

Rajon Rondo
Jrue Holliday
Paul George
LeBron James
Tyson Chandler

Cavs have always been done. They have the second worst record in the NBA

Hope V gets better though. Didn't even know there was such a thing as a blood clot in a lung.

After starting 14-4, the Knicks have gone 11-10. In the first 18 games Ronnie Brewer averaged 23 MPG...during this rough patch he's averaged just 14 MPG, with JR Smith eating up his minutes. They don't really need 1 Melo, why do they need 2?

How long until Woodson figures this out?

Kyrie was better last year. He's decent, but nothing special.

He's plenty special. As a numbers guy, how can you not like Irving? Good FG%, very good 3PFG%, very good FT%. He's very good at scoring and will eventually be very good at setting up his teammates.

He's 20.

He's plenty special. As a numbers guy, how can you not like Irving? Good FG%, very good 3PFG%, very good FT%. He's very good at scoring and will eventually be very good at setting up his teammates.

He's 20.

I'm not saying he doesn't show promise. I'm saying right now, this season, he's above average. I expect him to get better in the next few years. He's a good scorer, but bad with turnovers...not a good distributor at all.

Put it this way, to break even as a distributor (2:1 assist-to-turnover), Irving would need to average 7.4 apg...just to be average...he's getting 5.7 apg. He's got a ton of room for improvement there.

VN Store

Back