Favorite Commentators

Nerd-Vol

Give them out for any sport you want. Can be past or present.

Football- John Ward
Mike Kieth
Al Michaels

NASCAR:

Alan Bestquick

NBA:

Who ever does the radio for the Grizzlies

F1:
David Hobbs
Murray Walker

I could listen to Marv Albert call a Sunday NBA game the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Football:
College-John Ward :good!:
Keith Jackson
Pro: Al Michaels

Basketball: Pro-Marv Albert

Last edited:
Kevin Harlan when he did the MU fb, bb, and the Chiefs games.

Keith Jackson was a fave too.

Brent is a Jackson wanna be. I cant stand him.

No one paints a better picture of a sporting event than Vin Scully.

Sean McDonough is the most underrated sports commentator alive today.

Jim Nantz has the greatest work week possible when he covers the NCAA Final Four and then gets to cover the Masters. I'd give McDonough the FF gig, but Augusta isn't Augusta for me without Nantz.

No one paints a better picture of a sporting event than Vin Scully.

Sean McDonough is the most underrated sports commentator alive today.

Jim Nantz has the greatest work week possible when he covers the NCAA Final Four and then gets to cover the Masters. I'd give McDonough the FF gig, but Augusta isn't Augusta for me without Nantz.

I will give you Vin Scully. Jack Buck and his Cardinals calls were priceless. Jack is a legend.

I will give you Vin Scully. Jack Buck and his Cardinals calls were priceless. Jack is a legend.

Too bad he obviously didn't give his son any of that talent calling baseball games. Joe and McCarver make me want to throw things through my TV. I think Joe is trying to purposefully fulfill the faux stereotype that baseball is boring and McCarver is just an idiot.

FWIW though, I think Joe Buck is pretty good with Troy Aikman on the NFL Fox game of the week though. Aikman is a great analyst, as much as this Redskins fan hates to admit it.

Too bad he obviously didn't give his son any of that talent calling baseball games. Joe and McCarver make me want to throw things through my TV. I think Joe is trying to purposefully fulfill the faux stereotype that baseball is boring and McCarver is just an idiot.

FWIW though, I think Joe Buck is pretty good with Troy Aikman on the NFL Fox game of the week though. Aikman is a great analyst, as much as this Redskins fan hates to admit it.
Aikman is my favorite on fox. I don't like Siragusa. Moose Johnston isn't bad.

Favorites:

Al Michaels
Mike Tirico
Brad Nessler
Greg Gumbel
Kevin Harlan
Gus Johnson

Least favorites:

Joe Buck (most overrated)
Jim Nantz
Brent Musberger
Verne Lundquist

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I said this in another thread but it belongs here.

I'll take Collinsworth over anybody not named Romo. Collinsworth breaks down X's and O's pretty well. Simms is captain obvious. So is Aikman. Moose called triple coverage "cover 3" this year.

It's been 4 years and I have changed my mind about Aikman and Collinsworth. Although I think Collinsworth is really good with the technical aspects of breaking down X's and O's, the personality isn't great and it's getting really old. Although I think Aikman sucks with the X's and O's, I love that he will let you know when a QB sucks. He won't hold back and nobody else does that, so I appreciate it. Also, I still want Romo more than anybody, but if it's not a good game, Romo sucks. His strength is on-the-fly commentary, and nobody is on his level. If the game is bad, then you have to turn to what you prepared to discuss when it went that way, and he just doesn't know what he's doing in that regard.

Also, I miss nerd. He was a good dude.

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
Favorites:

Al Michaels
Mike Tirico
Brad Nessler
Greg Gumbel
Kevin Harlan
Gus Johnson

Least favorites:

Joe Buck (most overrated)
Jim Nantz
Brent Musberger
Verne Lundquist

Russillo said this, and now I notice it all the time. Tirico will do the thing that everybody on earth does, which is you start to say something the wrong way, and then you and I (and other broadcasters) back up a word or two to correct it. Tirico doesn't do that. Tirico just keeps going forward and seamlessly finds a way to make the slip-up correct. It's incredible.

VN Store

Back