The Runner's thread

Marathon is off the table. No freakin way! I can't even run 1 straight mile without stopping because it feels like my heart is pumping hydrochloric acid. I don't think I can even do a half marathon. Ever! Holy hell! I don't know how you guys do it. My lungs feel like they're the size of sandwich bags.

At least my new shoes were comfortable. Of course, they did a lot more walking than running.

you are probably coming out of the gate running too fast. Start by running at a pace that seems slow then slow down some more. It will take a couple weeks to get your cardio levels up.

Marathon is off the table. No freakin way! I can't even run 1 straight mile without stopping because it feels like my heart is pumping hydrochloric acid. I don't think I can even do a half marathon. Ever! Holy hell! I don't know how you guys do it. My lungs feel like they're the size of sandwich bags.

At least my new shoes were comfortable. Of course, they did a lot more walking than running.

You have to start somewhere. Most people aren't going to start out being able to run a mile straight after not running before. I would recommend checking out the couch to 5k program. It's the best thing I have seen for people wanting to start running. It's not going to feel good or be easy the first couple of runs, but stick with it because the rewards are awesome and the feeling you get after completing a run is worth it. Good luck and I hope you don't give up.

you are probably coming out of the gate running too fast. Start by running at a pace that seems slow then slow down some more. It will take a couple weeks to get your cardio levels up.

It'll still probably be too fast. No joke bamacheats, if you don't feel like you're crawling, you're going to fast at this point. I've probably been running the least time of anyone on this thread at about a year, and I remember vividly when i started how much it sucked. If I would have slowed down sooner, I would have improved a lot faster and enjoyed it more.

I had never run my entire life until last year. I ran and completed a half marathon, which I never dreamed I could do. If my ass can do it, anyone can

Reactions: 1 person
I probably did try too hard, run too fast. I'm gonna keep trying. But, realistically, I have no business considering a marathon in 4 months.

I probably did try too hard, run too fast. I'm gonna keep trying. But, realistically, I have no business considering a marathon in 4 months.

I wouldn't argue with that. Realistically, I'd say look at a marathon a year out if you'll still want to do one. Building up a base takes time to do right and not get injured.

6.2 today, 57:39. 9:18 pace. Also weighed in at 212.0 this morning. I'm making progress on both fronts.

Weekly Total: 17.49 miles

With the extra two days of running this week, I could really feel it in my legs today. They were feeling heavy around 4.5 miles. The next few weeks should be easier for me, I'll only be bumping up a little over a mile/week.

6.2 today, 57:39. 9:18 pace. Also weighed in at 212.0 this morning. I'm making progress on both fronts.

Weekly Total: 17.49 miles

With the extra two days of running this week, I could really feel it in my legs today. They were feeling heavy around 4.5 miles. The next few weeks should be easier for me, I'll only be bumping up a little over a mile/week.

This happened to me really bad when I was training for my half marathon. It got to the point where it was affecting my runs and my times so I looked into getting a powder for recovery or you can use Gatorade recover too. Some people don't like the Gatorade because it's too sweet but it doesn't bother me.

This happened to me really bad when I was training for my half marathon. It got to the point where it was affecting my runs and my times so I looked into getting a powder for recovery or you can use Gatorade recover too. Some people don't like the Gatorade because it's too sweet but it doesn't bother me.

Hmm, I'll have to check that out. I got some energy chews today too. I'm thinking I'll eat a few around a half hour in and see what happens.

Ran 4 today. Took your advice and slowed way down. Didn't have to stop at all during my run. Total miles this week - 13. Nine weeks until the half marathon

Hmm, I'll have to check that out. I got some energy chews today too. I'm thinking I'll eat a few around a half hour in and see what happens.

I use the energy chews on my long runs and even the gels for my halves and really long runs.

I don't use any recovery drinks except for taking glutamine personally.

I use the Genesis Pure sports line, and the Recovery shake has much improved my post-run soreness.

I'm supposed to run again today at 4. It's too cold though. I can't imagine sucking on freezing air is healthy.

I may just drag myself to the gym and make an attempt at a treadmill.

I'm supposed to run again today at 4. It's too cold though. I can't imagine sucking on freezing air is healthy.

I may just drag myself to the gym and make an attempt at a treadmill.

When you are first getting started cold air can be painful but after a while you get used to it.

You going to give this thing a fighting chance?

3.06 in 30:32 today, felt a lot faster though. My legs are still pretty tired from Saturday. I'll do my long run at Sequoyah this week and slow it down about 20 sec/mile, maybe my legs won't be quite as tired for these hills.

VN Store

Back