Vol uniform/helmet design discussion (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New uni's don't win games....but style does bring talent....UT has neither right now.
I'm a traditional person, but I'm thinking a a change would be ok

If you're referring to multiple jersey combinations that sometimes aren't even the school colors, Alabama would like to STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY disagree with your post.

If you're referring to multiple jersey combinations that sometimes aren't even the school colors, Alabama would like to STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY disagree with your post.

Alabama is also in the heart and soul area of College football (The SEC) as well as one of the most successful college football teams in history. Tennessee isnt Alabama. Traditionally, they're not even close to Alabama. However, this is also a different era/day/time. Do you realize how hard it is to go into an 18yo home and sell playing football in what tends to be a cold, rainy, nothing to do, in the middle of nowhere type place like Oregon over a place like Alabama, Florida or LSU?? The fact that Tenn isnt in such a horrible geographical place as Oregon, just a little...just a little...of spice to their uniforms could send them over the top. As an 18yo HS football player growing up and living within 10mins of Neyland Stadium, when I played NCAA football games on Playstation, I always chose Oregon because of the uniforms. Trust me, its in these kids/recruits heads.

Reactions: 1 person
i think the grey gun metal grey carbon fiber helment with chrome orange or just the orange power "T" and the orange face mask would look pretty cool...or an metalic orange with a white or chrome power "T" with a white face mask.. can use the checkerboard stripe in the center

Has anyone else mocked up the matte grey look?

ellivhsan-albums-vols-picture4479-tn-grey.png

I'm kinda liking this...keep scrolling back to it...

Alabama is also in the heart and soul area of College football (The SEC) as well as one of the most successful college football teams in history. Tennessee isnt Alabama. Traditionally, they're not even close to Alabama. However, this is also a different era/day/time. Do you realize how hard it is to go into an 18yo home and sell playing football in what tends to be a cold, rainy, nothing to do, in the middle of nowhere type place like Oregon over a place like Alabama, Florida or LSU?? The fact that Tenn isnt in such a horrible geographical place as Oregon, just a little...just a little...of spice to their uniforms could send them over the top. As an 18yo HS football player growing up and living within 10mins of Neyland Stadium, when I played NCAA football games on Playstation, I always chose Oregon because of the uniforms. Trust me, its in these kids/recruits heads.

As has been stated in this thread many times, if a players chooses to go to a certain school because of the uniforms, then they probably aren't needed/wanted here. Most people, even 18 year old high school seniors are capable of making a decision like that based on what school will advance their career the most, not what school has the most fashionable uniforms.

Maybe not with Oregon, because having a new uniform every game is kind of their thing, but for most schools, alternate jerseys are just an easy cash grab because it gives fans more jerseys to have to buy. But go ahead and keep thinking schools wear them because they want to get recruits, that's not the case, they do it because they want more merchandise sales. Most NFL teams have several different jerseys, do you think they wear them for a recruiting advantage?

Bama has used pro combat. They have used alternate styles.

Actually you're right on the first part. However, unlike most of the Pro Combat monstrosities and what has been proposed in this thread, aside from the pants striping, they were almost indistinguishable from what they wear every week. I'd actually forgotten about that because it was so much like the real thing it was barely noticeable. Believe it or not, they didn't even have to include additional colors that are not amongst their school colors, another radical concept that people in this thread can't wrap their head around.

Other than that Pro Combat, what other alternates has Alabama worn in the past 10 years? I searched but couldn't find any.

look at our depth and recruiting. maybe this mentality is what has gotten UT years behind other top programs.

No. SEC caliber players choose their school based on what's best for their career, because just about anybody who is a true SEC caliber player probably has at least some aspiration of playing in the NFL some day. Wearing uniforms with a lot of black, gray or carbon fiber doesn't get you closer to playing in the NFL. What's gotten us behind other programs is recruiting less that SEC level players.

No. SEC caliber players choose their school based on what's best for their career, because just about anybody who is a true SEC caliber player probably has at least some aspiration of playing in the NFL some day. Wearing uniforms with a lot of black, gray or carbon fiber doesn't get you closer to playing in the NFL. What's gotten us behind other programs is recruiting less that SEC level players.

you make valid points. the problem is, we are at the bottom of the SEC, with the top teams only getting better. our program desperately needs some buzz around it. to stand out a little. if i am a coach, i will use ANY means necessary to create that buzz. it all helps. Kiffin really got that. went a little overboard, maybe, but people were talking about UT. Jones seems to get it, as well. again, though, i agree that SEC players generally care about getting to the NFL, not uniforms. good point on that.

you make valid points. the problem is, we are at the bottom of the SEC, with the top teams only getting better. our program desperately needs some buzz around it. to stand out a little. if i am a coach, i will use ANY means necessary to create that buzz. it all helps. Kiffin really got that. went a little overboard, maybe, but people were talking about UT. Jones seems to get it, as well. again, though, i agree that SEC players generally care about getting to the NFL, not uniforms. good point on that.

Surely there has to be some way to create a buzz without flushing 100+ years of tradition down the toilet like a lot of people in this thread are advocating. I agree with you that Kiffin got the necessity of getting our name out there. However, people were talking about UT (actually, really just Kiffin) that year long before we embarrassed ourselves by coming out in the black uniforms.

Surely there has to be some way to create a buzz without flushing 100+ years of tradition down the toilet like a lot of people in this thread are advocating. I agree with you that Kiffin got the necessity of getting our name out there. However, people were talking about UT (actually, really just Kiffin) that year long before we embarrassed ourselves by coming out in the black uniforms.

I have no problem with changing the style a little bit. I didn't like the thick orange stripe on the pants, but it was a change that was acceptable. I loved it when they came out with the double stripes again in 06. Always thought the simple power T was a bit too boring for pants. Some of the orange and white designs on here are great, even the gray I could get behind. I loved the orange collar Dooley used that one year. Little things like that are great, to me at least. Hell, I'd love an orange helmet for the road. But keep it orange and white.

I have no problem with changing the style a little bit. I didn't like the thick orange stripe on the pants, but it was a change that was acceptable. I loved it when they came out with the double stripes again in 06. Always thought the simple power T was a bit too boring for pants. Some of the orange and white designs on here are great, even the gray I could get behind. I loved the orange collar Dooley used that one year. Little things like that are great, to me at least. Hell, I'd love an orange helmet for the road. But keep it orange and white.

Though the gray is a turn off because it reminds me of Georgia and Ohio State. So I'm on the fence for that one.

You are forgetting though a lot of your top tier athletes in football come from areas where the culture is based on who has the flashiest hat with the most holographic stickers on it. These are places where people line up at midnight to buy a new pair of sneakers..or just kill someone for those sneakers in the morning. Trends and following them are the norm. The actual career thought process doesn't really go any further than getting drafted..just ask Warren Sapp or Vince Young.

So do people pick schools because of the uniforms? Most definietly, especially in a society driven by greed, envy, and a lust for attention. Should UT change their uniforms? Hell no. The only thing I think would be cool would be a throwback uniform game..but no black, no grey, well..maybe some chrome orange power T's..

I like the 1914 uniform (sans the hip waders), 1903 and 1925 ones..they could be modernized a little bit.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xHjP1chJYqM/TG_pKtiPOQI/AAAAAAAAAok/5QkZ-0MdQFs/s1600/Tennessee.jpg

What about a sweet orange and white checkerboard that is heavy on orange and fades to white..from the socks up! :eek:lol:

I'm not sure if I have ever clarified, but my looks I've been tossing out on here are not to flush 100+ years of tradition down the drain, and aren't also meant to replace our uniforms, just an alternate for a one game a year kinda thing. As for the black jerseys, I thought Eric Berry and one other were the ones who came to Kiffin and asked for them for that game, or am I mistaken? Also, as for the old uniforms, I have been dabbling with them on the Pro Combat as "throw back" designs as well, just to see what those 1892, 1903, '14, and '25 uniforms would look. Just didn't know if anyone would be curious to see them.

I beg to differ.

1 Michigan 0.73570 895 310 36 1241
2 Texas 0.71622 858 330 33 1221
3 Notre Dame 0.73138 853 300 42 1195
4 Nebraska 0.70121 846 349 40 1235
5 Ohio State 0.71315 825 316 53 1194
6 Oklahoma 0.71761 821 307 53 1181
7 Alabama 0.70986 814 320 43 1177
8 Tennessee 0.68719 794 347 53 1194

Its easy to overlook Tennessees tradition when we are in one of the worst periods in our history.

Last edited:
FootballVolUniform1903_zps1581a560.jpg
FootballVolUniform1925_zpsc505ff07.jpg

1903 and 1925, had to fit the numbers in the front in somewhere, since the originals did not use them, same for the helmet schemes. I also tossed a Power T on the pants of one just to see. 1903 looks terrible like I expected, with it looking nothing like Tennessee, 1925 doesn't look too bad, but still just odd to me.

Reactions: 4 people
FootballVolUniform1903_zps1581a560.jpg
FootballVolUniform1925_zpsc505ff07.jpg

1903 and 1925, had to fit the numbers in the front in somewhere, since the originals did not use them, same for the helmet schemes. I also tossed a Power T on the pants of one just to see. 1903 looks terrible like I expected, with it looking nothing like Tennessee, 1925 doesn't look too bad, but still just odd to me.

These are pretty badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back