Vol uniform/helmet design discussion (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People come to the games and expect to see certain things. You never know who is the stands. It may be a child who is seeing his first game ever, and possibly his only game. It could be a terminally ill person. Who knows? But why ruin the experience of them seeing what Tennessee REALLY is just because we can? Not everyone is fortunate enough to see the Vols enough to get bored with the image.

Who said I was bored with the image or anything? I've got a ton of orange and white in my house and never get tired of seeing those colors. That said, I did dig the black jerseys when we did them for the Halloween game, but that didn't mean I turned on the orange and white itself. I just liked the "one off" concept, doesn't mean i'd want us to change the entire season. Also, alot of the designs I've put on here were from suggestions by others just to show what that'd look like, didn't mean I agreed with all those looks by any means. I know our branding is set in with the orange and white and I love it, just to clarify.

How did some not go crazy when we went to a style of the spread offense? It is not UT tradition. Good grief it is a darn uniform and people are talking about a game or so a year. UNREAL.

Reactions: 2 people
Who said I was bored with the image or anything? I've got a ton of orange and white in my house and never get tired of seeing those colors. That said, I did dig the black jerseys when we did them for the Halloween game, but that didn't mean I turned on the orange and white itself. I just liked the "one off" concept, doesn't mean i'd want us to change the entire season. Also, alot of the designs I've put on here were from suggestions by others just to show what that'd look like, didn't mean I agreed with all those looks by any means. I know our branding is set in with the orange and white and I love it, just to clarify.

I understand that you're just making things up for fun, but some people are really hardpressed to come out in all black and everything. That wasn't necessarily directed at you for the designs you've created.

How did some not go crazy when we went to a style of the spread offense? It is not UT tradition. Good grief it is a darn uniform and people are talking about a game or so a year. UNREAL.

Acutally, it isn't "just a uniform." It is the classic cultural debate of tradition vs. stylistic innovation and, more specifically, the rate of stylistic change that is considered acceptable by cultural norms.

Reactions: 1 person
People come to the games and expect to see certain things. You never know who is the stands. It may be a child who is seeing his first game ever, and possibly his only game. It could be a terminally ill person. Who knows? But why ruin the experience of them seeing what Tennessee REALLY is just because we can? Not everyone is fortunate enough to see the Vols enough to get bored with the image.

So wearing black uniforms will ruin the experience for a terminally ill person? wow......

And I thought the outcome of the game had more affect on the experience. Well can we close this thread then? I would hate to ruin the experience for some child because we wear black instead of orange. I would also like to file a complaint about the team running right outside of the T when they enter. That does not stick with tradition.

I understand that you're just making things up for fun, but some people are really hardpressed to come out in all black and everything. That wasn't necessarily directed at you for the designs you've created.

Ah, okay, agreed....some people want the all black and even when I've done those, I try to put in as much orange and white as I can with it still being the all black designs they wanna look at. I add in the color cause all black to me does not reflect the University of Tennessee. That being said, I do plan to tinker with the 1921 (I think) black and white jersey into a new one just to see what a somewhat "throwback" look might be like.

So wearing black uniforms will ruin the experience for a terminally ill person? wow......

And I thought the outcome of the game had more affect on the experience. Well can we close this thread then? I would hate to ruin the experience for some child because we wear black instead of orange. I would also like to file a complaint about the team running right outside of the T when they enter. That does not stick with tradition.

Do you know how many people were pissed when the Pride didn't open the T for the first time in 40 years in 2006? And that was caused by something that was completely uncontrollable. If you only had one opportunity to see the Vols, you'd want them to run through the T, see the Vol Walk, watch Salute to the Hill, everything. They should not miss out on seeing what Tennessee really is just for a gimmick.

Here's 9 looks to a more metallic helmet:

FootballVolHelmets3_zps7950ea9c.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
This thread is only popular because we haven't been relavant in 5 years. If we were winning, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I'm pretty sure Alabama fans aren't concerned with their uniforms.

HOME: Wear Orange Jerseys and White Pants
ROAD: Wear White Jerseys and White and or Orange Pants

Leave it at that. Thanks.

None that I have bothered to look into, but then again one can ask: Do uniform changes cause us to not win SEC titles? (Devil's advocate mode: off) ; )>

Nice. That's what I'm thinking though either way you ask it. Don't think there's a correlation to either winning or losing games and the uniforms we wear. Possibly recruiting help, but I don't think a recruit said they specifically signed with UT because we wore black jerseys.

Could any of you photoshop aficinaodos perhaps do a uniform with light blue accents? I think the light blue the Lady Vols use would complement our orange & white better than black, gray, chrome, etc. Thanks in advance, friend!

Could any of you photoshop aficinaodos perhaps do a uniform with light blue accents? I think the light blue the Lady Vols use would complement our orange & white better than black, gray, chrome, etc. Thanks in advance, friend!

While it might look good...NO THANKS
We are already garnering an image around the league as becoming "soft" we don't need powder blue added into the mix.

Now in a couple of years when we are back to playing smash-mouth, winning TENNESSEE footbal, then maybe.

New uni's don't win games....but style does bring talent....UT has neither right now.
I'm a traditional person, but I'm thinking a a change would be ok

Reactions: 3 people
If nothing else, do it so we can get the jersey sales. Seems like an easy way to get a cheap pop and make a little extra money.

Orange and white is UT.

But would it really hurt to have some fun every now and again???

Subtle stylistic change has been part of Tennessee tradition. The strident advocates of black-on-black or black and white, with orange relegated to little more than an accent color, are advocating nothing less than a radical makeover.

I am a cultural anthropologist by training and my research focuses heavily on the role of style in material culture (yes, that includes clothing) as an expression of identity. You may not want to take my word for it, no matter how much academic research I cite as supporting documentation, but Butch Jones has said that you can walk into any high school in the country, clad in Tennessee regalia, and they know instantaneously who you represent. That is a profoundly strong, and accurate, example of the functional role of stylistic marker traits as an unequivocal expression of group identity. Personal experience further corroborates his position. On a return trip from Montana, I walked into the airport in Kalispell and a baggage handler spotted my Tennessee orange fleece jacket. Without my saying a word, he stated "you guys are a long way from home."

Few universities in the country have a more distinct color scheme than Tennessee. Make no mistake about it, radical change will, over time, weaken that association, both in terms of public perception and, more importantly, the Big Orange Nation. Frankly, I don't believe the strident advocates of black-on-black when they say that they are only advocating it for occasional usage. Oregon needed a gimmick, we don't. Oregon had no significant history of sustained success in football prior to the last decade or so. Therefore, a host of uniform combinations, ones that pushed the proverbial fashion envelope in college regalia, became a branding mechanism, one that set them apart as different before their onfield success really began to take root.

This thread is closing in on 11,000 posts, and this one is probably the best of the lot. I couldn't have possibly stated this better if I'd tried.

People just can't wrap their head around the fact that such a longstanding brand is something that VERY, VERY few institutions have, but UT is one of those places. That's the reason you don't see teams like Alabama, USC, Texas, and Oklahoma rolling out a new look every week. They don't have to. The fact that the uniforms look essentially the same in 2012 as they did in 1950 is what makes them special.

Some places need newfangled uniforms to get peoples attention. Others, like UT, don't. We have a look that is distinctly "UT" and to deviate from that would only serve to confuse people who can easily identify with a particular brand.

Take Coca-Cola for example. Can you imagine if they replaced their red and white branding with, for example black and silver, and instead of the Coca-Cola script logo just put a huge "C" on the can? Sure, a few people might think it was cool, but in the end it would probably just lead to a lot of confusion amongst customers who came into a store trying to buy Coke. In fact, the only time they tried to make massive changes to the product (the taste, not so much the branding) it was almost universally hated, was a complete disaster and ended up with the company scrapping the idea and going back to what had been working for almost 100 years.

The moral of the story is that a strong brand isn't easily built, and once you've spent years laying the groundwork, it's not necessarily wise to go tearing it down trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back