Travon Landry still struggling with shooting

Yes, and that could be our saving grace. We still have to land one. History is working against us there. Hopefully we land a stud FR, and maybe a JUCO PG as well to ease the transition and for depth purposes. This likely means one of Landry or Moore would have to hit the bricks, but if we bring in two PGs in 2014, one of those two probably sees the writing on the wall.

There is always the transfer route as well, as it seems someone always comes available.

Moore would slide to the wing if Martin brings in 2 legit PGs in one class. Landry would probably have to look around.

Huntington is down here at the City of Palms tournament. Landry warming up now, let ya know how he plays.

Be interested in your evaluation of him and the others for HP, particularly if they are similar to the impressions I got last Friday.

Wiggins is unreal in terms of athleticism.

1st half he hasn't taken a shot an has a couple assists.

He is a very good on ball defender. High pressure and high motor. Offensive side is where I'm a little worried. He doesn't have a very good shot (judging from warmups). He made a few very nice dishes and can handle the ball pretty well. It's a tough environment to really see his skills due to HP running up an down the floor and him pushing the ball 80% of the time.

Wiggins is crazy athletic. Took a lob off of a inbound play an his eyes were at the rim. They are very tall and very athletic. I think that's one reason TM doesn't have good stats at all. He's simply the 4th or 5th option who's overshadowed by really, really good players.

HP ended up winning by 27. Wiggins finished with 31 and some insane dunks, dude is unreal.

I would say TL takes on the role of a floor general. The system HP runs is not friendly to a point guard so it's hard for him to thrive IMO

Has great intangibles. Defends, can pass, can handle the ball. Was sitting behind their bench and he is a great team player. Coaches love him. Think he can be a decent backup PG here. He does a lot of little things to help his team win. This is all JMO

Basically sums up all things I've heard about him. Think he'll be a solid backup for us, and will solve the backup PG issues we have.

If you surrounded him with guys like Hubbs, McRae, stokes and Maymon he wouldn't need to look to score much.

HP ended up winning by 27. Wiggins finished with 31 and some insane dunks, dude is unreal.

I would say TL takes on the role of a floor general. The system HP runs is not friendly to a point guard so it's hard for him to thrive IMO

Has great intangibles. Defends, can pass, can handle the ball. Was sitting behind their bench and he is a great team player. Coaches love him. Think he can be a decent backup PG here. He does a lot of little things to help his team win. This is all JMO

Your assessment is spot-on with mine. He would be completely unnoticed if you weren't looking for him. In truth, he is more like the sixth option behind Wiggins, Rathan-Mayes, Gill-Caesar, Woodson, and Kingsley. It's difficult to run much of an offense pushing the ball up the court the way they do, as you said.

He is solid, yet unspectacular because of the star-power around him.

Your assessment is spot-on with mine. He would be completely unnoticed if you weren't looking for him. In truth, he is more like the sixth option behind Wiggins, Rathan-Mayes, Gill-Caesar, Woodson, and Kingsley. It's difficult to run much of an offense pushing the ball up the court the way they do, as you said.

He is solid, yet unspectacular because of the star-power around him.

They also have nevell Provo who's a stud, sophomore I believe, another Canadian protect.

They also have nevell Provo who's a stud, sophomore I believe, another Canadian protect.

Yeah. I noticed him on the roster, but he never saw the floor, so I don't know much about him. Landry played a lot of minutes. He just didn't accumulate a lot of stats in that time when I saw him.

Yeah. I noticed him on the roster, but he never saw the floor, so I don't know much about him. Landry played a lot of minutes. He just didn't accumulate a lot of stats in that time when I saw him.

Yea think he played 26 min tonight. There's some real good teams here this year. It'll be interesting to see how they do against the big boys. This is my early Christmas present.

"On the recruiting front Tennessee's primary focus for the spring will continue to be finding post help. However, don't be surprised if the Vols don't at least put out some feelers for point guard help as well. Having room/and or finding the right prospect isn't a guarantee at this point, but if the right opportunity presents itself we wouldn't be shocked to see the Vols try add some more backcourt help.

In the eyes of many evaluators this season, signee Travon Landry has struggled a bit playing with talented teammates at Huntingdon Prep. It should be noted that Tennessee took Landry early in his junior year and never wavered on honoring that commitment, so the staff is obviously comfortable with their own evaluation. However, Rivals.com will be downgrading him to a two-star when the Class of 2013 rankings are next updated and other prominent national evaluators have recently questioned whether he's a high-major talent."

-Rob Lewis this AM

Maybe Corn Elder really is getting some consideration? I figured that was just a courtesy look to give the football coach some help.

"On the recruiting front Tennessee's primary focus for the spring will continue to be finding post help. However, don't be surprised if the Vols don't at least put out some feelers for point guard help as well. Having room/and or finding the right prospect isn't a guarantee at this point, but if the right opportunity presents itself we wouldn't be shocked to see the Vols try add some more backcourt help.

In the eyes of many evaluators this season, signee Travon Landry has struggled a bit playing with talented teammates at Huntingdon Prep. It should be noted that Tennessee took Landry early in his junior year and never wavered on honoring that commitment, so the staff is obviously comfortable with their own evaluation. However, Rivals.com will be downgrading him to a two-star when the Class of 2013 rankings are next updated and other prominent national evaluators have recently questioned whether he's a high-major talent."

-Rob Lewis this AM

Maybe Corn Elder really is getting some consideration? I figured that was just a courtesy look to give the football coach some help.

I mean if Butch wants him at UT I don't see why not...

He won't use a basketball scholarship, it'll be football, and you add a borderline top 150 3 star PG, seems like a no brainier to me.

You're right, Landry probably feels he can contribute as he is playing on a glorified college team now and playing the majority of minutes at the PG position.

I just fear that CCM may be realizing he needs a scorer to run his offense. Golden shouldering the load offensively seems to have made our offense more effective. Now, perhaps having a really good scoring wing player (Hubbs), would change that. Golden doesn't have that luxury, which has forced him to score the basketball. Maybe a facilitating-type PG would work with wing players who were a equal threat to drive or shoot.

I was one who felt that Trae would still be prominently scoring for us even if we had Maymon back. That's Trae's game. He's a scoring guard. He's yet to find a true balance of scoring and facilitating because when he's not scoring and only facilitating he isn't being aggressive and driving the lane. When he is looking to score, he opens things up for spot up shooters and bigs. I don't know if Martin necessarily needs a scoring PG in his system, but he will need players that can get in the lane when the motion stalls and create space for others.

I mean if Butch wants him at UT I don't see why not...

He won't use a basketball scholarship, it'll be football, and you add a borderline top 150 3 star PG, seems like a no brainier to me.

From the sounds of it he would be a good asset to both teams. I hope that this happens for both the football and bball programs.

To all of the people bashing Trae on being a scoring guard, well here is the "pure" pg everyone wants. Might be me, but I'd rather have someone that is averaging 13 ppg and 5 ast.

To all of the people bashing Trae on being a scoring guard, well here is the "pure" pg everyone wants. Might be me, but I'd rather have someone that is averaging 13 ppg and 5 ast.

If we end up with a Landry or Moore as our starting PG, people are going to realize real quick how good of a PG Golden is.

Hope my comments weren't taken as bashing Trae. I believe he is one of the better PGs in the league. I think Martin has a good grasp on what each player's game is and Trae is as a scoring guard. I'm quite fond of guards who have the ability to score and I think Trae does best when he plays his game and not solely a facilitator. He's actually a better PG when he plays his game as a scoring guard, but there's always room for improvement.

Landry is what he is and that is a role player and facilitator with some glaring holes in his game. I assume he'll play to his strengths at the next level and land a role as a vocal leader and give great effort. Comparing Trae and Landry is apples and oranges.

If we end up with a Landry or Moore as our starting PG, people are going to realize real quick how good of a PG Golden is.

I'll be honest. I don't know if Martin is big on "positions" because he strikes me as a coach that loves versatility to a degree. Most of his recruits are multiple positions guys. Landry was recruited to play one specific position. Hard to say if Landrys game will "thrive" in Martins scheme or if Moore develops into what Martin hoped for but I hope they find their game if they do end up starting. I think people will always under rate Trae as a PG though. When's he's gone they will remember how good of a player he was. Regardless of position, he's a good player. He fits Martins mold of a multiple position type of guy.

VN Store

Back