Pat Forde grades coaching hires

rltw1974

Church Hill, TN
Below is an excerpt from Pat Forde's article on yahoo right now. I dont think it was necessary to call us delusional. I would post link but couldnt get it to work.

Tennessee: Butch Jones.

Last stop: Cincinnati, where Jones was 23-14 in three seasons riding the coattails of program builder Brian Kelly.

Butch Jones speaks during his introductory press conference as Tennessee's head coach. (AP)Why leave: Jones was going somewhere, whether it was Colorado or Tennessee – and given the straits Cincinnati now finds itself in with the implosion of the Big East, his timing was excellent. Nobody can blame him for leaving.

Grade: B-plus. Reality check for Tennessee fans who believe Butch Jones is beneath them: your program has been ranked in the AP Top 25 for two weeks in the last five years. You’re six games below .500 in that time. Tennessee has great tradition and a great following and will regain competitiveness sooner rather than later, but this belief that America’s most proven and attractive coaches are going to come running to Rocky Top is delusional. Get a grip.

Below is an excerpt from Pat Forde's article on yahoo right now. I dont think it was necessary to call us delusional. I would post link but couldnt get it to work.

Last stop: Cincinnati, where Jones was 23-14 in three seasons riding the coattails of program builder Brian Kelly.

Butch Jones speaks during his introductory press conference as Tennessee's head coach. (AP)Why leave: Jones was going somewhere, whether it was Colorado or Tennessee – and given the straits Cincinnati now finds itself in with the implosion of the Big East, his timing was excellent. Nobody can blame him for leaving.

Grade: B-plus. Reality check for Tennessee fans who believe Butch Jones is beneath them: your program has been ranked in the AP Top 25 for two weeks in the last five years. You’re six games below .500 in that time. Tennessee has great tradition and a great following and will regain competitiveness sooner rather than later, but this belief that America’s most proven and attractive coaches are going to come running to Rocky Top is delusional. Get a grip.

nice avatar

Just for laughs, here is what he said about Kentucky:

Kentucky: Mark Stoops.
Last stop: Florida State defensive coordinator.
Why leave: Abandoning a perennial winner in favor of a perennial loser in a perennial meat-grinder conference is dicey, but the allure of being a head coach is strong.
Grade: Incomplete. Nobody knows whether he’ll be more Bob or Mike as a head coach. He’s putting together an interesting staff of young assistants, many with ties to Kentucky that may enhance their loyalty and enthusiasm.

Reactions: 1 person

I hate hearing the truth. This guy is still an idiot though.

I agree with him. Realty is a b**ch. some are able to see it and some aren't. Some accept it and try to figure the best ways to fix it, and some don't accept it and blame/bash the ones that bring it to light.

CBJs dream job was either UT or Colorado point blank. His sob story was classic salesman. And now we are seeing how good of a salesman he is. Luckily as a program rebuilder coattail rider he has a more solid program than the previous coach took over. He is making way more then him too so not much room for mediocre football.

As a UT fan I wish him the best of luck. But I'm going to take it day by day and hope many learn how to simmer some of their optimism cause it's going to be interesting. Even if we have a good yr people need to understand that that doesn't mean we r back. Give me multiple consecutive yrs of success, and then it's time to talk about how good CBJ is as a coach. Right now it's just blind optimism or people wanting to be able to come back in a few yrs and say "I told you so."

Just for laughs, here is what he said about Kentucky:

Kentucky: Mark Stoops.
Last stop: Florida State defensive coordinator.
Why leave: Abandoning a perennial winner in favor of a perennial loser in a perennial meat-grinder conference is dicey, but the allure of being a head coach is strong.
Grade: Incomplete. Nobody knows whether he’ll be more Bob or Mike as a head coach. He’s putting together an interesting staff of young assistants, many with ties to Kentucky that may enhance their loyalty and enthusiasm.

What's so funny about it?? Seems like a solid assessment. I think ky made a great hire considering them being ky. IMO they set a good bar for where UT, Arky, and auburn needed to surpass. I think auburn and Arky did a good job of it. If Mark turns out to be more like Bob then they may have done better than we did. It'll be interesting to see what he does up there especially when there is no pressure like other SEC schools.

Last edited:
If you pay them they will come. All big time coaches have a price. UT is always looking for the Camry when they should be at the Lexus store.

Reactions: 13 people

Right or wrong there was no need to bash the fan base. Just talk about the hire and whether its a good fit. The bad mouthing is unnecessary. He has always bashed Tennessee when he gets a chance. He's a dick.

Reactions: 3 people

Unfortunately he is right...but that's the way it goes over the long haul. Ups and downs...just ask Bob Dylan. Those who are first will later be last..especially when you hire Mike Hamilton as your AD

VN Store

Back