Coach Lowe resigns from Powell

Guess where Knox County re-zoned a lot of the hood or lower class areas previously zoned for Central High? Take a wild guess on the major factor of why Powell got good so quick. Probably a result of all those 3/4 vinyl siding subdivisions that populate much of "West Knoxville without the attitude.....or class or nice homes or good schools".

I'd live in Fountain City before I'd live in Powell. Powell is trashy and red as hell.
Yes, you state the obvious that a portion of Central was re-zoned for Powell. It has definitely brought in some great talent. However, to assume that is the only reason for the improvement is flawed. If you look at last year's team, there were only a handful of re-zoned players that saw significant time. The rest were "home grown". Granted some of those players were significant, but of the 7 players that signed football scholarships, only 1 has not been part of the Powell Youth football program.

I think what is lost is a lot of the seniors played together in youth football and that particular youth team was really good. Combine that with some fresh talent and a program finally coming together and you see the results.

Not sure what part of Powell you've visited, but Powell is very nice. Like every rural community in Knoxville (or TN for that matter), there are pockets of not so nice areas. How you described Powell can apply to most communities in the Knoxville area - that definitely includes Fountain City.

235lbVol, How did we get off talking about subdivisions and rich kids? That dosent mean anything on a football field. The 04-05 Central Bobcats would beat any Powell team you could put out there. I'd Like to see one of powells little CB's try to stop Terrence Scott(Former Oregon player) or Try to catch David Gaston in the open field. and mobley? hahaha, Rob Longworth, Josh owens, AJ Nance any of which would break him in half. If there is any Powell fan on here who remembers these names, dont be in denial. You remember how good Central was when we had these guys. We usually only lost 2 games a year, both to Maryville. They had some teams that would also kill this Powell team everyone raves about:mf_surrender:

He's the most arrogant coach in East Tennessee. The fact that Mobley was still on the team last season tells me all I need to know about Lowe's "family values".

In the top ten of most asinine things ever said on Volnation. Quite an achievement on your part.

HAHAHAHAHA. Powell, when I hear that name I think...... sucky football teams, big homes? Probably not, uhhh Bunch of crybaby, stuck-ups who wish they were ever as good as Central at anything. Oh and just cause you were 26-2 against terrible competition dont mean ****. Get ready for an ass beating when we come down to "the new West Knoxville". Oh and guy, you used LOL, thats real manly!

Guess your bobcats have a ways to go. They were never in it last night and they looked awful just like always. Guess you have your foot in your mouth now, LOL.
:loco:

Last edited:
Yea had Stintson not got hurt, we'd won. Didnt sniff the endzone in the 2nd half. I admit the coaches were outcoached, Rang did a good job. But, with Stintson we win. Oh and that #10, hes a freshman. Good luck stoppn that in 2 yrs.

Yea had Stintson not got hurt, we'd won. Didnt sniff the endzone in the 2nd half. I admit the coaches were outcoached, Rang did a good job. But, with Stintson we win. Oh and that #10, hes a freshman. Good luck stoppn that in 2 yrs.

But he did get hurt, and they did lose. As for the Zero points in the second half....how's bout the zero points for the entire game Central put up?

Oh please, I figured you would say that. When he was in the game, they still didn't score.

I will say the RB's looked good and should be exciting the next couple of years.

Lets see if you can win 2 times shall we? If our coaches had a clue, we'd win. But im sure instead of going 5 wide and pick Powell apart, we'll try to run 40 times with ine guy again. Oh and maybe Powell will score in the second half this time. GO BOBCATS!

Lets see if you can win 2 times shall we? If our coaches had a clue, we'd win. But im sure instead of going 5 wide and pick Powell apart, we'll try to run 40 times with ine guy again. Oh and maybe Powell will score in the second half this time. GO BOBCATS!

You're obviously a UT fan. I'll bet you think Dooley is the man too. The moral victory you are celebrating gave it away. First it was that your RB got hurt. Now the coaches ran too much. Bottom line is, you got shutout in a rivalry game. And to be honest, it was a physical beat down. I was there and I'll be there if they meet in the playoffs.

Rich, my probelm is not with you. It was the other fool calling Powell the new west knoxville and all that crap, You seem like you have some sense. But I hate Powell, not any person in particular, but the general fanbase. Im at the barbershop last year and Guy comes in wearing a Powell Coaches shirt. Of course, im wearing my Central hat. My barber starts talking high school football and asks me how Centrals looking and what I thought about Cody Blanc. Before I could answer, Powelll guy says" Oh Blanc is decent, but hes nowhere as good as Mobley." He then goes on a rant about how Mobley is the greatest thing since sliced bread, gets a haircut and leaves. Thats why I cant stand Powell, for years they've thought they were better than Central. Couldnt be farther from the truth IMO.

Rich, my probelm is not with you. It was the other fool calling Powell the new west knoxville and all that crap, You seem like you have some sense. But I hate Powell, not any person in particular, but the general fanbase. Im at the barbershop last year and Guy comes in wearing a Powell Coaches shirt. Of course, im wearing my Central hat. My barber starts talking high school football and asks me how Centrals looking and what I thought about Cody Blanc. Before I could answer, Powelll guy says" Oh Blanc is decent, but hes nowhere as good as Mobley." He then goes on a rant about how Mobley is the greatest thing since sliced bread, gets a haircut and leaves. Thats why I cant stand Powell, for years they've thought they were better than Central. Couldnt be farther from the truth IMO.
Honestly, I've never had a problem with Central fans until I met you on this board. Your statements about the Powell community and fans is the exact attitude you say you despise about Powell fans. IMO, that seems like a double standard. In every post, you've run your mouth about Central this, Central that and how they are going to kick our butts this year and how the Central teams of old would have knocked Mobley out in the first quarter. I didn't see anyone knocking Central and you came out of the blue bashing Powell. If you don't like the way Powell fans act, you should rise above that instead of stooping to that level. I've lived in Powell since 1991 and right now there is only one family I've seen that fits your description of Powell fans. I'm sure you can think of at least one family in Central that fits that description too. Every team has them. You shouldn't label an entire community because of a bad apple you encountered at a barber shop.

Life is short, don't waste it full of general hatred.

Last edited:
Now about the game, we indeed did it twice which I figured we would based on the previous game. Central is not quite to our level yet, but you have a ton of talent that should be exciting to watch over the next few years. Your FR RB is fun to watch and will be tough to stop. Your QB looks good to. I was really impressed with one of his incompletions last night. He got pressure right in his face and threw an out pattern where only his receiver could get the ball with really tight coverage. It was high and outside where our db had no chance. Unfortunately, your receiver didn't catch it, but that was an awesome throw under pressure and the absolute right decision. His running ability is great too.

Our football website had some interesting stats about the two teams playoff records. You stated previously that Powell historically has been bad and Central has been good. You also commented that Powell wasn't good until the rezoning. However, according to the stats we actually have been evenly matched for a long time.

Powell and Central both have 18 playoff appearances since 1990. Powell has made it 12 consecutive years while this is Central's first since 2006. Powell's record is 24-19 and Central's is 24-19 (includes last nights game). Last night was the first time they've met in the playoffs and we share a nemesis that has beat us the most in the playoffs - Maryville. Central has been to the big dance once whereas Powell has been twice and neither team has a state title.

Thought you would find it interesting how evenly matched our playoff records are.

Last edited:
Interesting stats. Im just going off what I saw when I was in school. From 2000-06 Central beat just about everybody except Maryville. Im just stating the obvivous fact that the team this year is the beginnig of the reemergance of Central football. Next year, we will have the best backfield in East TN and if they all stay healthy, that is a fact. Jeremiah Howard, JuJuan Stintson and Josh Poplar. Our Qb you speak of is X, which is also back. lose one WR and one OL. On D, they lose two LB's but gain one cause Poplar plays LB as well. Everybody else is back. I cant say Powell is on a down slide, but I know they lose more next season than Central does. Ownby is great at running and will be better at throwing next year. Also, lets me say that whoever the idiot is that wont throw the ball to that 6'5 WR yall got needs to be fired. Unless his hands are cinderblocks, he would average 800-1000 yds recieving in that district. Next year, Central is back to 8-9 wins.

Also, lets me say that whoever the idiot is that wont throw the ball to that 6'5 WR yall got needs to be fired.
LOL - you know he's a freshman, right? He's good but makes freshman mistakes. I've noticed we've been throwing the ball a lot less the last few games, but we did throw it to him several times one game. I'll say next year he will be a big part of the offense.

Interesting stats. Im just going off what I saw when I was in school. From 2000-06 Central beat just about everybody except Maryville. Im just stating the obvivous fact that the team this year is the beginnig of the reemergance of Central football. Next year, we will have the best backfield in East TN and if they all stay healthy, that is a fact. Jeremiah Howard, JuJuan Stintson and Josh Poplar. Our Qb you speak of is X, which is also back. lose one WR and one OL. On D, they lose two LB's but gain one cause Poplar plays LB as well. Everybody else is back. I cant say Powell is on a down slide, but I know they lose more next season than Central does. Ownby is great at running and will be better at throwing next year. Also, lets me say that whoever the idiot is that wont throw the ball to that 6'5 WR yall got needs to be fired. Unless his hands are cinderblocks, he would average 800-1000 yds recieving in that district. Next year, Central is back to 8-9 wins.

Powell has been to the playoffs for 12 straight years. Not sure why you think they are suddenly gonna fall off. They've only lost one regular season games in 3 years, that being to Oak Ridge this year.

Rang in trouble over "Testing Irregularies". Sounds like changing grades for Football players to me. I knew somthing was going on at Powell. Hahahaha:lol:

Rang in trouble over "Testing Irregularies". Sounds like changing grades for Football players to me. I knew somthing was going on at Powell. Hahahaha:lol:

Your grasp on what words mean isn't strong, huh?

He supposedly showed the EOC (End of Course) exam to students the day before the test was given. I can't believe he would be that stupid. Also heard he gave them the test and walked out for a while. Don't know which story is true yet. Hope he doesn't get fired. That would seriously suck. He's a good coach and if he goes we probably lose our LB coach Dunn. My son loves Dunn and has learned a ton from him.

He supposedly showed the EOC (End of Course) exam to students the day before the test was given. I can't believe he would be that stupid. Also heard he gave them the test and walked out for a while. Don't know which story is true yet. Hope he doesn't get fired. That would seriously suck. He's a good coach and if he goes we probably lose our LB coach Dunn. My son loves Dunn and has learned a ton from him.

If he did that, he deserves it.

VN Store

Back