'Tis the season: Guns ! Guns ! Guns!

I think the point PJ was getting at is that an AR-15 isn't an assault rifle.

Gotcha. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.... but I realize that and so does Peej and you too, but to the general public any AR platform or other type of "black" gun is going to be so labeled.... Never mind that a pretty wooden stock Ruger mini 30 shoots the same ammo as an ugly, hateful AK 47....

Last edited:
Ya I am not sure there is one on that one. You could require a psyc evaluation before a purchase, but then that can be completely subjective and what if you had a shrink with a chip on their shoulder and just made everyone crazy?

I don't be knowing answers to these questions. That guy who shot Congresswoman Gabby Giffords and others was so mentally disturbed that the school he attended blocked his enrollment...yet he was not blocked from purchasing a Glock with high cap magazines. Other mass shootings were committed by persons with serious mental health issues obvious to everyone around them, yet they were able to walk into gun stores and make purchases. How can we stop people like that from buying guns without enabling abuses of government power...by everyone from petty individuals with personal grudges to political factions with enemies lists?

Last edited:
The sad truth here is we are talking about a deranged individual, that could go into an elementary school and start shooting children. The object used does not matter, he could have killed just as many with a knife/club.

This man was a coward of the highest order. Glad the pos is dead.

Well that didn't take long Bloomberg in NY is already calling on the President to push for gun control. This is sickening how these people use a tragedy to further an agenda and it hasn't been been 12 hours since it happened.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't be knowing answers to these questions. That guy who shot Congresswoman Gabby Giffords and others was so mentally disturbed that the school he attended blocked his enrollment...yet he was not blocked from purchasing a Glock with high cap magazines. Other mass shootings were committed by persons with serious mental health issues obvious to everyone around them, yet they were able to walk into gun stores and make purchases. How can we stop people like that from buying guns...without enabling abuses of power, by everyone from petty individuals with personal grudges to political factions willing to abuse the authority of government?

Patient confidentiality laws and Americans with disabilities act would prevent knowledge of a potential buyers condition(s). Also, at least in Georgia where I live, you must fill out a form where you affirm that you have no such conditions (along with a laundry list of other questions...) as a prerequisite for purchasing a firearm. If you falsify any of that info it is a federal crime.

We've been over this many times. The difference is that an automobile has many legitimate purposes. The exact point of a hand gun, save for a tiny, tiny few exceptions, is to shoot another person.

Knives have legitimate purposes. They weren't designed to strictly stab people.

China stabbing spree hurts 22 schoolchildren - World - CBC News

Baseball bats were designed to hit a ball, not bludgeon someone to death.

Area Man Fatally Bludgeoned With Baseball Bat | The Internet Chronicle

Guns were not designed to use to commit first degree murder, yet they are used that way. Over two million people use firearms every year for self-defense.

Every school needs a security guard. If the school can't afford a security guard, the school principal should be trained and required to carry a firearm to protect the children.

I don't be knowing answers to these questions. That guy who shot Congresswoman Gabby Giffords and others was so mentally disturbed that the school he attended blocked his enrollment...yet he was not blocked from purchasing a Glock with high cap magazines. Other mass shootings were committed by persons with serious mental health issues obvious to everyone around them, yet they were able to walk into gun stores and make purchases. How can we stop people like that from buying guns...without enabling abuses of power, by everyone from petty individuals with personal grudges to political factions willing to abuse the authority of government?

1. You cannot stop all evil. There are those evils that can be stopped by committing another evil; and, there are those evils that can be stopped and prevented without committing any evils. The focus needs to be on the latter.

2. Subjecting everyone in the population to mental health screenings could reasonably be argued as an evil. Preventing one's actions based on something out of their control, could be argued as an evil.

3. Not everyone with mental health issues will be compelled to kill others. Thus, taking guns out of the hands of all individuals with mental health issues is both unfair to and an offense against those who would never be compelled to kill others. It would be an evil.

4. Restricting someone who is on the verge of killing others might actually be argued as legitimately good for said person (it is an interesting debate as to what restrictions actually benefit an individual's autonomy; I think that restricting one from murdering others is a restriction that does benefit that individual's autonomy).

The sad truth here is we are talking about a deranged individual, that could go into an elementary school and start shooting children. The object used does not matter, he could have killed just as many with a knife/club.

This man was a coward of the highest order. Glad the pos is dead.

You admit that the individual is deranged (that is, disordered in mind); then, you go on to call him a coward and a piece of ****?

If he is disordered in mind, that is if he cannot order and control his mind to any semblance of reasonableness, then how do you go ahead and lambaste him for his actions?

Do you think that a rabid dog that attacks someone is a coward and a piece of ****?

Well that didn't take long Bloomberg in NY is already calling on the President to push for gun control. This is sickening how these people use a tragedy to further an agenda and it hasn't been been 12 hours since it happened.

Thats how they roll. Legislate by emotion.

You admit that the individual is deranged (that is, disordered in mind); then, you go on to call him a coward and a piece of ****?

If he is disordered in mind, that is if he cannot order and control his mind to any semblance of reasonableness, then how do you go ahead and lambaste him for his actions?

Do you think that a rabid dog that attacks someone is a coward and a piece of ****?

I'm sorry RealUT, the guy killed children, there is no room to debate the guys ability for rational thought.

Reactions: 1 person
1. You cannot stop all evil. There are those evils that can be stopped by committing another evil; and, there are those evils that can be stopped and prevented without committing any evils. The focus needs to be on the latter.

2. Subjecting everyone in the population to mental health screenings could reasonably be argued as an evil. Preventing one's actions based on something out of their control, could be argued as an evil.

3. Not everyone with mental health issues will be compelled to kill others. Thus, taking guns out of the hands of all individuals with mental health issues is both unfair to and an offense against those who would never be compelled to kill others. It would be an evil.

4. Restricting someone who is on the verge of killing others might actually be argued as legitimately good for said person (it is an interesting debate as to what restrictions actually benefit an individual's autonomy; I think that restricting one from murdering others is a restriction that does benefit that individual's autonomy).

Sounds like it would have been better to let Saddam Hussein keep his WMD's.

Every school needs a security guard. If the school can't afford a security guard, the school principal should be trained and required to carry a firearm to protect the children.

Why stop with the principal? I would love to see all educators/school administrators be required to take some classes that deal with handling crises situations. Any of those who wish to carry (and have had proper training and background checks) should be allowed to carry. I know I would feel safer for my elementary school teacher mother if there were trained, firearm carrying educators/administrators there with her.

I know I certainly would have felt safer when teaching undergrad classes in grad school had I been allowed to carry. Had some lunatic barged into my classroom and started shooting up the place VA Tech style, my only option would be to duck and hope he missed me. There would have been nothing I could do to eliminate the threat of further action by the intruder. However, if I (along with other instructors) were carrying in a situation such as that, unless the intruder were able to kill or otherwise incapacitate me before I could get behind a podium or other object long enough to return fire, there is a much higher chance that the threat could be neutralized with a much lower death toll.

The answer isn't more restrictions on law abiding citizens, it's helping to identify and treat those with - or likely to develop - mental issues.

I'm sorry RealUT, the guy killed children, there is no room to debate the guys ability for rational thought.

I know the guy killed children. I know that the act was terrible. Had the guy lived through it, I would be advocating for his removal from society because he is a genuine threat. That does not mean that the individual is necessarily evil. And, to use words like deranged to describe him and then to blame him for his actions is to either fail to understand the term "deranged" or "blame", or both.

terrible tragedy. I'm given to understand that the school recently implemented a safety policy that puts the school on lockdown during school hours. I wonder if the shooter bypassed the protocol because his mom was a teacher.

I know the guy killed children. I know that the act was terrible. Had the guy lived through it, I would be advocating for his removal from society because he is a genuine threat. That does not mean that the individual is necessarily evil. And, to use words like deranged to describe him and then to blame him for his actions is to either fail to understand the term "deranged" or "blame", or both.

Sorry, i let my emotions get the better of me at the end of the post.

NONE of those children died.

And? The point is that people intent on harming others will use whatever means at their disposal. Knives weren't designed to go slash school children, yet it was used that way.

More gun control would not have stopped what happened today.

Reactions: 1 person
I do not view fully automatic weapons the same as semi and there does have to be a line drawn some where. I am a proud concealed carry but the idea of anything goes if it makes me happy is frightening.

I also believe that everyone should be require a two week waiting period and a twenty hour class with each purchase and yes I am serious m.

I gad to have continuing ed with my insurance license and we are talking guns here.

VN Store

Back