'13 PA WR Tyler Boyd

No they do not play out of state programs. they do play up in class in PA and have never been challenged. Two years in a row Clairton went to the Red Bull 7on7 national tourney. They finished 2nd and 3rd nationally. Boyd was unstoppable . By the coaches own admission he is the best to come out of this storied school. No one could cover Boyd at the Rivals 5 star as he and Hackenburg won the tourney and MVP's. He is very smooth with great hands and body control. But I will repeat coming from him and his coaches Pitt is by far and away the leader. He has 2 other teamates headed there. There are several other Clairton guys on Pitt's team. When he gets in a college weight program he will unbelievable. Do not count on him attending at UT. By the way I have stood beside him several times and he is 6' 2 but really thin. He is very physical and a headhunter on defense.

The connection Boyd has at Pitt is not Chryst it is Bobby Engram the wide receiver coach. They have been out to most practices last week. Engram of Penn State fame.

Considering visiting in January per 247. Has only officially visited Pittsburgh and is scheduled to see West Virginia and Michigan State next month.

Family does not like staff at WVU. Michigan State has had coaches at multiple practices and is trying very hard. Coaches encouraged him to visit Michigan State. When I spoke with Tyler back in the summer he liked the idea of UT recruiting him but right now until I hear differently it is Pitt. By the way his team won the 4th state championship in a row 20-0 and he had 235 all purpose yards. Penn State trying to get in, in fact they were about to get a commitment before Sandusky Gate.

Do they ever schedule out of state programs?

Other than smaller private schools it is uncommon for smaller class schools to schedule out of state. Volterp pretty much summed it up. They aren't typically challenged until state playoffs and even then there are only a few schools that can compete. They would likely play up a level if they were in a better geographical position. Good talent, though, for a school with an average enrollment under 100 kids per grade level.

By the way his team won the 4th state championship in a row 20-0 and he had 235 all purpose yards. Penn State trying to get in, in fact they were about to get a commitment before Sandusky Gate.

Clairton has replaced Southern Columbia as the dominate A program in the state. I played against SC in districts every year. Love seeing them come back down to Earth. The Giants current full back is from SC. I guess my claim to fame is having tackled him a few times ha

I am sure those 1A schools are like the ones in NC, where Shuler, Pickens, and many others came from. They are 1A because of enrollment but make for some very tough football. I am not comparing WNC to WPA in football but you get the idea.

Everything out there is he will end up at Pitt. The only concern is if Chyrst leaves for a better job.

Western PA football (WPIAL) is very good. You're right, they're smaller classifications because of enrollment. Aliquippa is AA and has produced elite NFL talent. Ditka is from there and IIRC Revis is too.

I just moved down to WNC (Charlotte area) this fall and am trying to familiarize myself with the high school football here.

Last edited:
Wr and db's they are offering weigh 160 wet...that will not mAke it in SEC even if they add 20lbs they would still be small..very discouraging but what i expected with who we got....

Wr and db's they are offering weigh 160 wet...that will not mAke it in SEC even if they add 20lbs they would still be small..very discouraging but what i expected with who we got....

Who do you want them to offer this late in the process? Most of the new kids can play and fit major needs team wise. Also a lot of the weights you read on a roster is fluffed up a good bit at WR. The LSU and Bama WRs aren't big guys. Nor were the Florida WRs. Only UT and UGA had really big WRs size wise.

Last edited:

Holy sh*t.

If they're big, people b**ch about speed. When they're fast, people b**ch about size.

"The Army All-American is a newcomer to the board as well as the new staff offered Boyd in December and he's continued to listen to the Vols the last several weeks. But, Boyd has told some he hopes to announce at the Army game and if that happens, look for him to announce for Pitt. If not, look for Tennessee to try and grab a visit, as will a number of other schools.
Official visit date: TBD
Other teams in the mix: Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Arizona"

- VQ

"Tennessee is coming after me pretty hard," he said. "The coaches down at Cincinnati were coming after me pretty hard also, but that wasn't a school I was really interested in. But Tennessee is a school I'm really trying get down to and get to know. I'm trying to build a strong relationship with Coach Mahoney.
-Rivals

VN Store

Back